PDA

View Full Version : city lots

Hilti
06-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi! My name is Vickie. Were new to all of this and I'm just trying to help my husband out. Can anyone give us some info on bidding on empty city lots. That would be the mowing of them. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. You guys are all wonderful, I read your posts all the time and get some helpful info. from them. I just hope we can do good at this. Thanks!

Vickie

OMG
06-19-2006, 12:41 PM
It's my experience most cities pay very, very poorly and generally only bid out the jobs they don't have the equipment for or personnel to complete.

About 1/2 to 2/3 of what you would normally charge . However, it is good filler work to fill out a route and provide guaranteed income to cover a crew if you have the extra time. You can also usually get away without a time consuming perfect cut because no one inspects it with a fine tooth comb.

I currently only have 1 city contract, so I might not be the best one to answer this question.

P.S. If I didn't understand your question correctly (meaning 'city owned'), please elaborate. Thanks

hartmas
06-19-2006, 12:52 PM
I think I can help on this one.
I have a contract which I mow vacant lots and "run down" houses or vacant houses where the grass is knee high sometimes. Every lot is one price, since the city will not screw around with constant changes in bids or price differences. I get 55 dollars per lot. So if I mow a lot that is 20 feet x 20 feet it is 55 dollars, if I trim a blvd it is 55 dollars, if I mow a vacant lot that is 1 acre it is 55 dollars. So you win and lose, but overall it is nice becuase you just mow and go, as long as you mow the weeds down, you don't have to worry about limbs, trash or overgrown fences.
However you may want to consider using a brushhog or a older mow that you can keep just for these lots because the trash and the high grass will dull your blades very fast.