PDA

View Full Version : Have to buy a new trimmer!

Greg313
06-19-2006, 12:56 PM
My 8 year old Shindaiwa trimmer is on its last leg and I have to think about buying a new trimmer. I have been a Shindaiwa fan but after stopping at an Echo dealer and reading some post on here I'm not so sure about buying another one. I know that brand loyalty is a personal opinion but is Shindaiwa quality now worse because of EPA regulations? In my area I have Redmax, Stihl, SHindaiwa and Echo dealers (Echo being the closest). Which one should I buy, I was going to get the T231...or is it time to switch to another brand

TNT Lawncare
06-19-2006, 01:20 PM
I have an Echo SRM-261T. It has alot of power and torque. This thing will take down cat tails if you want it to. Just my 2 cents.

LawnInOrder
06-19-2006, 01:21 PM
i would go with redmax. I had a echo srm 2400 then when it was on its last leg i retired it and bought a redmax 2600. Boy that machine is a beast. Enough power for the heavy weeds and light enough to use all day. starts on first pull or second if not primed when it cold after that one pull. Deff a great buy IMO. LawnInOrder

DAVEY PROS
06-19-2006, 01:44 PM
i would go with redmax. I had a echo srm 2400 then when it was on its last leg i retired it and bought a redmax 2600. Boy that machine is a beast. Enough power for the heavy weeds and light enough to use all day. starts on first pull or second if not primed when it cold after that one pull. Deff a great buy IMO. LawnInOrder

Have a 2600 too and I completely agree. Engine starts a little cold but once that thing is running nothing can stop it. I would get the redmax in comparrison with the echo any day. Strong engine, good shoulder strap (when needed), light, and built well.

Hope this helps

Brendan Smith
06-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Have a 2600 too and I completely agree. Engine starts a little cold but once that thing is running nothing can stop it. I would get the redmax in comparrison with the echo any day. Strong engine, good shoulder strap (when needed), light, and built well.

Hope this helps
agree 100%. i will never own another brand as long as i can get redmax within 75 miles of home!!!!!!

kbrashears
06-19-2006, 02:51 PM
I run Stihl FS 55's. I chose them over the larger models because they are light, but damn for the size they pack a punch. The only drawback to some may be the smaller gas tank, but I rarely run a trimmer over an hour and I can get 1.5 hrs per tank. I've got a 'favorite' I've run for four years and I've treated it like a red-headed step child and it still begs for more.

6'7 330
06-19-2006, 02:55 PM
All the brands you mentioned, make very worthy of consideration equipment. We use all Stihl, the dealer is second to none ,parts the vast majority of the time can be acquired same day. The 4-mix engine is powerful, and after break in, is good on fuel consumption, easy starts .

Richard Martin
06-19-2006, 03:51 PM
There is nothing wrong with a T-231 that a simple muffler change won't fix. I bought one back in February with the catalitic convertor on it and the non-cat muffler from my T-230 fits just fine. Same as it ever was now.

captken
06-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Check around, Shindaiwa here is selling new 270's 260's and 230's.

In other words, you can buy a Shindaiwa trimmer, just like your "oldie" right now.

I bought a new T-270 3 months ago and a new T-230 last week.

Shindaiwa also sells these with the new [I like these] speed-feed heads.

http://www.shindaiwa.com/products/grass_trimmers/index.html

ThirdDay
06-19-2006, 06:58 PM
I'd go with the Echo SRM-260S or the 261T. They are great trimmers and the 261T high torque model is an absolute beast. We cant' find anythign that it won't handle!

ed2hess
06-19-2006, 08:21 PM
I'd go with the Echo SRM-260S or the 261T. They are great trimmers and the 261T high torque model is an absolute beast. We cant' find anythign that it won't handle!
I second this and will add that this model has adjusment on the carb that is very very important if you intend to keep the unit a long time and expect it to run at both hot and cold temperatures.

lawnboy dan
06-19-2006, 08:56 PM
i bought a shind 231 and its the first peice of shin equiptment i have been disapointed in. its heaver than a 230 -less powerfull and runs like crap till it warms up. it also takes 3-4 pulls to start even warm! i would not ever buy another one. of the choices you gave -i would buy a redmax

lawnmaniac883
06-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Ditto the Stihl FS100RX. As well as Stihl dealer support and their warranties. My FS100 trimmer was running like sh@T a few days ago, took it to my dealer and had it back the next morning. Ignition coil went south; total downtime = 0! That cannot be beat. For the price the power on that unit is unbeatable. It is lightweight and does very well on fuel.

jameson
06-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I gotta vote Echo. The SRM-260 is a great trimmer. I also have a Redmax EXZ2500 - split-boom tool - 25.4 Strato (same as the BCZ2600), good unit, but everyone on the crew just likes the feel of the the Echo better for line trimming. I dunno.

Lots of good machines to choose from. Let us know which one you choose!

tallimeca
06-19-2006, 10:40 PM
SRM260S. The 260S has the solid steel drive shaft, so it won't twist up and brake. The 261T is great and that new high torque gearbox is real nice. The problem I have selling to my customers is they ALL freakin insist on taking the guards off and with the flex shaft, they are prone to failing alot quicker than the solid steel. I've never seen a customer brake a 260s shaft.

The torque on these are great too, so throwing a brushcutter blade on it is a breeze.

Good luck.

Greg313
06-20-2006, 12:56 PM
I greatly appreciate everyone's opinions and think that I may give the Echo a try...just because the dealer is only 5 minutes from my house (the others are 20-30 minutes) plus its a brand new dealer and he's got lower prices right now. He also carries Exmark and I looked at a 32" walkbehind for around $2300, like everyone here says it's important to have a dealer close by and one that will have things in stock!

PTOhioMower
06-20-2006, 04:16 PM
My 8 year old Shindaiwa trimmer is on its last leg and I have to think about buying a new trimmer. I have been a Shindaiwa fan but after stopping at an Echo dealer and reading some post on here I'm not so sure about buying another one. I know that brand loyalty is a personal opinion but is Shindaiwa quality now worse because of EPA regulations? In my area I have Redmax, Stihl, SHindaiwa and Echo dealers (Echo being the closest). Which one should I buy, I was going to get the T231...or is it time to switch to another brand

If you have any Lesco dealers around, check out the kawasaki trimmers. They are very lightweight and very powerful!! Not to mention they can be had for a great price.

ThirdDay
06-22-2006, 08:57 AM
I greatly appreciate everyone's opinions and think that I may give the Echo a try...just because the dealer is only 5 minutes from my house (the others are 20-30 minutes) plus its a brand new dealer and he's got lower prices right now. He also carries Exmark and I looked at a 32" walkbehind for around $2300, like everyone here says it's important to have a dealer close by and one that will have things in stock!

Good choice!

You'll love the Echo equipment!

naturescape
06-22-2006, 09:13 AM
How could a Shin last you 8 years?? Dang, you must be lucky! I'm lucky when I get 2 years out of a Shin.

Tanaka all the way. At least demo one! I like the 230. Runs great, even cold, and I mean even if it's freezing outside.

I have a couple newer Echo models also -- even on a warm day, they won't run till they are warmed up. Avoid!

jazak
06-22-2006, 09:55 AM
I have had my REDMAX BC-2600 now called BCZ-2600 for 7 years which I gave to my son to use and it still runs as strong as ever. Now I use the new split booms and the new 2600s and I like them.

captken
06-24-2006, 12:23 AM
An optimum occasion to weed eat....when it is freezing....what the fuc.? where did this come from naturescape?

naturescape
06-24-2006, 12:59 AM
An optimum occasion to weed eat....when it is freezing....what the fuc.? where did this come from naturescape?

In late fall, I'll use it sometimes. I'm in MICHIGAN, the high can go from 65 to 30 in one day here, I still have to go out and work when it's 32.

Mower For Less
06-24-2006, 03:10 AM
In late fall, I'll use it sometimes. I'm in MICHIGAN, the high can go from 65 to 30 in one day here, I still have to go out and work when it's 32.

I'll vouch for him. Mostly cleanups when its that cold out, but nonetheless a trimmer is used sometimes.

As for me, I have the redmax 2600, Shin 230, and Shin 231. Personally I like all 3 of them for different reasons. The Redmax as mentioned is powerfull, lightweight, and a great all around trimmer. If I could pick only 1 trimmer, it would be this one simply because of the tremendous power on tap without feeling too powerfull for the light weekly jobs it does most often. If I could have more than one, I would definitely keep the Shin 230 on hand, because it is so lightweight, and an excellent everyday trimmer, but it is lacking in grunt for big overgrowth. For weekly mows, this is my favorite trimmer. The Shin 231 is also a very good trimmer, and seems to run a little smoother than the 230, you can hear it in the exhaust note, it is a little more pleasing to the ear. But it is slightly heavier, no worse than the redmax though. I have used Tanaka too, and think they are also good trimmers. My biggest gripe with them is that dang orange gas tank and miniscule gas fill hole. If they could fix that bad tank design, they would be on my trailer too.

Kevin

naturescape
06-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, Tanaka should improve the gas tank as well. More transparent, and better designed filler neck. But clockwise rotation would be the single most important thing they could do.

lawnboy dan
06-24-2006, 07:31 PM
my 230 has almost 2x the power of my 231 and runs smoother too. my 231 is just a lemon i guess.

Adamma Landscape Group
06-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Greg 313,
Go and get a Stihl trimmer. If you follow the recommended maintenance schedule you will like Stihl equipment.

AAELI
06-25-2006, 12:20 AM
How could a Shin last you 8 years?? Dang, you must be lucky! I'm lucky when I get 2 years out of a Shin.

Tanaka all the way. At least demo one! I like the 230. Runs great, even cold, and I mean even if it's freezing outside.

I have a couple newer Echo models also -- even on a warm day, they won't run till they are warmed up. Avoid!

I question the comment about your luck in only getting two years out of a Shindaiwa. With an old RM-35 built back in early '80's still running I am positively puzzled about your lack of luck.. Most all the premium brands I have seen listed here should last you anywhere from 5years min. on up with proper care and maintenance. The latest Shindaiwa I have is a B450 pre-production prototype, test model, that I have had in use now for over 3000 hours since 1998. I have replaced the air and fuel filters and fuel lines with regularity and have greased gearcase religiously along with one rebuild of the carb with a new D/G kit. Other than that it has performed well. It replaced a '87 B45 that had an equally great record.
I still service a large number of trimmers and brushcutters built over 10 years ago. They are pushed hard by some lco's in my area.

Mower For Less
06-25-2006, 01:09 AM
I question the comment about your luck in only getting two years out of a Shindaiwa. With an old RM-35 built back in early '80's still running I am positively puzzled about your lack of luck.. Most all the premium brands I have seen listed here should last you anywhere from 5years min. on up with proper care and maintenance. The latest Shindaiwa I have is a B450 pre-production prototype, test model, that I have had in use now for over 3000 hours since 1998. I have replaced the air and fuel filters and fuel lines with regularity and have greased gearcase religiously along with one rebuild of the carb with a new D/G kit. Other than that it has performed well. It replaced a '87 B45 that had an equally great record.
I still service a large number of trimmers and brushcutters built over 10 years ago. They are pushed hard by some lco's in my area.

I have had my Shin 230 for 3 years now, and it has only required a carb rebulid (needle seat seemed to be leaking, would start fine cold, acted flooded when warm on a restart after sitting for a few minutes) and a new head (beat the crap out of it on some cleanup jobs). Still starts and runs like new, I would be shocked to not get at least a few more seasons with it.

Kevin

naturescape
06-25-2006, 02:09 AM

My late 80s Shin trimmers (I had 2 or 3) lasted about 2 years before I thought it was better to buy a new one. And I don't remember details as that was about 10 years ago. Could be just bad luck, but my Tanaka and Echo stuff has lasted me longer.

AAELI
06-25-2006, 06:29 AM
I gotta admit that I thought the Shindaiwa's of the late '80's to be heavy but durable. The T-18, T-20 and the T-25 models were diehards. The early '90's saw the introduction of what I thought were puny imitators the 230 and 250 models. I was inundated with clutch drum bearings going south in the early 230's until the nylon fan cover housing was replaced with a metal housing. It had 2 clutch drum brgs instead of the one on nylon housing. All were changed out under warranty. I have found a rash of 230's needing gearcase assemblies replaced but attribute most of them to failure to grease these items on a regular basis.

I am sure that most people come to terms with their equipment service needs sooner or later depending upon their level of mechanical skill or access to a good shop with knowledgeable and helpful staff. As long as you have confidence in your equipment you can make progress.

Good luck with your operation.

Sandgropher
06-25-2006, 07:48 AM
The best i've had is my shindy t-27 starts 2nd go most times, brought 2nd hand am guessing early 90s model, recently i thought i might buy a back up machine kawa tbl-126 i think its called, best machine i've ever heard had is now my main one as is so light and powerful.

If i was you i would get the older model shindy because you are used to them, but it sounds like the Redmax has the power and are light to(shindys a bit heavy) of course if theres a kawa dealer near by think about a KBL.

naturescape
06-27-2006, 12:21 AM

I want to clarify that my older Echo trimmer runs very good and always has - it's a 2601. I have an Edgit on that trimmer. Maybe I'm just having bad luck with the 2 newer Echos I have, although I've seen that comment posted here before by others as well.

Howie's Lawn Care
06-27-2006, 02:20 AM
You can't go wrong with RYOBI !

clc2003
06-27-2006, 03:40 AM
I have an Echo PAS 260 split boom and it has never ran right! I was just wondering if any of you guys have any idea what it might b? Starts tough and very cold blooded. Once it warms up it will fall on its face occationally. The dealer says its bad gas, but all my other Echo stuff runs fine. My dealer sucks so I kind of want to get away from him but don't know what to do? Don't care for Stihl, and there is no Redmax dealer around. What do u guys think of Maruyama? I have a dealer close to me who is a very nice guy. Would love to do business with him but don't here much on there equipment here. Any thoughts?

P.S. Good luck with your choice!:)

naturescape
06-27-2006, 08:59 AM
I have an Echo PAS 260 split boom and it has never ran right! I was just wondering if any of you guys have any idea what it might b? Starts tough and very cold blooded. Once it warms up it will fall on its face occationally. The dealer says its bad gas, but all my other Echo stuff runs fine. My dealer sucks so I kind of want to get away from him but don't know what to do? Don't care for Stihl, and there is no Redmax dealer around. What do u guys think of Maruyama? I have a dealer close to me who is a very nice guy. Would love to do business with him but don't here much on there equipment here. Any thoughts?

P.S. Good luck with your choice!:)

Can you take your Echo in to a different dealer and have him look at it?

ALarsh
06-27-2006, 10:47 AM
You can't go wrong with RYOBI !
Took the words right out of my mouth.:usflag:

Howie's Lawn Care
06-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth.:usflag:
Yeah, you'll have that....on a big job?