PDA

View Full Version : GGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lizard Lawn Care
06-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Am I the only one here that questions every day if I am in the right business?????:confused:

Charles
06-19-2006, 05:29 PM
No, I have been doing that for many years myself. Now we are in drought too:rolleyes:

Jpocket
06-19-2006, 05:34 PM
I do it atleast twice a week...I have come to no definite conclusion. It's a yes and No answer. For now I can only make the best of it b/c every aspect of my life is based around my business...In the next few years I will be working my way away from a sole dependancy upon the lawn business.

Howie's Lawn Care
06-19-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't know how old you guys all are, but what else could you do well in or make a living for that matter as easily as you can in this business?

rodfather
06-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Am I the only one here that questions every day if I am in the right business?????:confused:

something's wrong IMO if you don't.

6'7 330
06-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Everyday for 25 years , but when I think about working for somebody else, like my brothers did on the line at GM for 30 years, those thoughts soon disappear lol.Landcsaping has been, and is a rewarding career move,I have no regrets, having made the decision to pursue.

robby
06-19-2006, 06:47 PM
I don't know how old you guys all are, but what else could you do well in or make a living for that matter as easily as you can in this business?
I'm with Howie on this one. Most every day i'm out working, it crosses my mind what a great gig this is. To be working for myself, doing work that's so easy, requires no college degree, and yet pays $50+ hourly. Almost seems too good to be true. Oh yea, the best part, 3 month-long vacations over the winter!:clapping:

Charles
06-19-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm with Howie on this one. Most every day i'm out working, it crosses my mind what a great gig this is. To be working for myself, doing work that's so easy, requires no college degree, and yet pays $50+ hourly. Almost seems too good to be true. Oh yea, the best part, 3 month-long vacations over the winter!:clapping:

Winter? Ya that is the great American Vacation time of the year:dizzy:
Hourly gross profit is not all that important. Annual Net profit is the most important part of a business

dvmcmrhp52
06-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Three month vacations?
When do these occur?:(

M RASCOE&SONS
06-19-2006, 07:38 PM
it crosses my mind when i get a real pita for a customer and then i think of all the good parts of working for myself $$$$$$$

Dashunde
06-19-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm the happiest I have ever been doing this.

Green-Pro
06-19-2006, 08:00 PM

You must not have any employees :hammerhead:

ed2hess
06-19-2006, 08:12 PM
High temperature seem to make one think about what is next in life but but I look at it as one day at a time and I will be out of the hot months in just about 75 days. I hope!

rodfather
06-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Three month vacations?

in between snow plowing for me dave...not !

all ferris
06-19-2006, 09:56 PM

Lets see.... I think about this everytime:
1-something breaks and I have to pay for it.
2-I have to work 12-14 hour days and I'm still behind.
3-I fill up the trucks and mowers.
4-when we have a drought
5-when we have a week of solid rain
6-when the stupid kids that live with mommy and daddy underbid me
7-when my phone is ringing at 9pm on Sunday
8-when I have to collect from deadbeat customers
9-when I step in dog poo
10-when the temps are above 95 with 80+% humidity.
11-when a helper does crappy work
12-when my wife goes on vacation without me because I have to work.
13-did I mention the stupid kids that underbid me because they have no clue?
14-well... you all get the point

BTW- I love my job

robby
06-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Three month vacations?
Those 3 month vacations wouldnt be possible if it wasnt for the fact that my wife no longer works, and that we have no children. The last couple years since i've talked my wife into leaving her job, we have been able to vacation for 3 months over the winters. Getting away from work and home for that long is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding burnout. I come back in early march and am geared up for another year. It also gives me something to look forward to all summer. Keeps me going on those rough days. If I was still single I would probably be working 60 hour weeks as much as I could. But being 40 years old now and doing this for the past 15 years I much prefer working 30-40 hour weeks and just gettin home early to hang with the wifey. I'm just not that big of a fan of working to want to do it more than I have to. Even though I like what I do.:)

K.Carothers
06-20-2006, 07:39 PM
I have to admit that I think about it a lot.

Today,

I've spent 3 hours working on the trailer lights- still not complete.

I dropped the Lesco off for repairs-bent shaft.

My starter is going in the truck - should fix now but hey, the trailer lights need fixed.

Need to sharpen all blades tonight.

Forgot to eat...I am now while I type - 2 hot dogs and some ice tea.

The shop is a mess!!! Tools everywhere!!! My fault.

The list keeps going...

On top of all that, I am a full time single dad and the house looks like a bomb went off in it-

Serenity now, serenity now, serenity NOW!!!
kc

K.Carothers
06-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Forgot to mention the advil 500 tablet bottle I buy and go through. If only they made a 5000 tablet container:dancing:

kc

WPLE
06-21-2006, 12:20 AM
The long days really get to me. When I keep my helper out till 8:30 pm and then say "We really need to start at 7:00 in the morning" makes me think twice. I HATE working like that. My business plans are to work like this for four more seasons then drop half of my accounts and go back solo. My wife will be out of pharmacy school and raking it in she will be paying the living exspenses so I just need to make enough to cover the notes on my future Triton (bass boat) and F150. Got to have goals.:)

Quail Creek LC
06-21-2006, 12:42 AM
If you guys think you have it real bad, quit your mowing business and find yourself a 9-5 job if there is such a thing these days. I worked in a factory for 13 years and I will tell you this. I never want to have to go back to working for someone again. Unless it payed over $50.00 per hour and I have 4months off. Sure I'm always looking for another business venture. One that you have to work less and make more and one that isnt affected by weather.. Let me know if you guys find something that might fit that description. But for now, I love what I do!!!

Charles
06-21-2006, 08:19 AM
The last couple years since i've talked my wife into leaving her job,

Are you insane??:dizzy: :hammerhead: :laugh:

PaulJ
06-21-2006, 10:11 AM
I am glad I am not the only one. Uually I like what I am doing and by this time of year I am in "groove" and not so stressed. Bt this year is different. Lost a couple of good accounts and haven't been able to replace them. I did a ton of direct marketing to small commercial accounts and only got one minimal job. I would like to add another person and machine but don't have the work. I actually have less work than last year but feel like I'm working more because of the heat lately. It really is getting to me more than it used too. Most days I just don't want to get going. I think I need to make some big decisions about where I want to be in 5 years.
Maybe I will try a newspaper add again to catch some of the people who just now get tired of mowing there-selves.

sorry for rambling.

Brendan Smith
06-21-2006, 10:50 AM
i love this business overall. even the irritation caused by late/no payers, stuff breaking, etc is minor compared to the amount of satisfaction i get from it.

topsites
06-21-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm saying, getting up at the crack of noon has its benefits too!

As for the irritants, it takes time but one can make changes and they take effect immediately.
No giving all your hard-thought suggestions to the management and then later IF the change actually happens you get no credit.
Of course, every time I make a change it seems I've opened another can of worms but at least sometimes it takes months before I see the new worms and then at least I can say I had SOME peace.