PDA

View Full Version : How much truck is really needed?

Howie's Lawn Care
06-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Hey guys,
I remember a person on here posting a pic of their Tacoma pulling two Exmarks, and many of you wnet crazy about him pulling all that with a tacoma. What do you guys think would be sufficient for pulling a trailer from 12' to 16' with two 52" or 60" ZTRs, with brakes on the trailer. I'm assuming a manual is better for towing, so what do you all recommend. Will any of the "small" trucks like rangers, s10s, tacomas work.

Also, what do you guys think of the difference between 19 and 23HP kawasakis. Is it significant at all. I kind of wish In would have got a brand new 19HP 52" mini z for $6000.00, even though I only paid $6100.00 for mine. I think the 60" XR-7 with 23HP for $7000.00 is also an excellent deal. What do you all think?

Thanks for any opinions and advice.

-The NRH, or Nick Howard

TNT Lawncare
06-19-2006, 04:51 PM
I use a 97 Sonoma with a 4.3L to pull my 14 foot trailer with a 48" Ferris IS 1500 and a 7hp Craftsman push mower. My truck is also factory lowered with the ZQ8 suspension package (the same on the extremes). She sits a little low but pulls just fine.

lawnmaniac883
06-19-2006, 05:16 PM
None of the small trucks out there will be sufficient for pulling all that around as well as stopping it. Even with a brake controller and trailer brakes I would still look for a bigger truck. Get either a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup new or used. It will be money well spent.

6'7 330
06-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Pulling Z-Turns around, I would go no smaller then a heavy duty half ton,with a tranny cooler. A 3/4 would fit the bill better.

David Haggerty
06-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Automatics are better for towing.

Audrey
06-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Pulling Z-Turns around, I would go no smaller then a heavy duty half ton,with a tranny cooler. A 3/4 would fit the bill better.

Yep, exactly what I have. Heavy-half Chevy 5.7, 3.73 gears, automatic, and it's underpowered.
16' open/dual axle, with brakes. Stoppng is okay with the controller, but going up good sized hills with just one ZTR, it's a pooch. I'm okay on the flats with two Tigers, but uphill I seriously doubt I will have enough. I won't even think of purchasing an enclosed trailer as long as I use this truck for pulling.

Don't know squat about Kawi's..... sorry...

A

Jpocket
06-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Yep, exactly what I have. Heavy-half Chevy 5.7, 3.73 gears, automatic, and it's underpowered.
16' open/dual axle, with brakes. Stoppng is okay with the controller, but going up good sized hills with just one ZTR, it's a pooch. I'm okay on the flats with two Tigers, but uphill I seriously doubt I will have enough. I won't even think of purchasing an enclosed trailer as long as I use this truck for pulling.

Don't know squat about Kawi's..... sorry...

A

Cahnge the gears to 4.10 or 4.56 and it will 'pull' as good as any 3/4 ton

cdjohnson7
06-19-2006, 10:09 PM
3/4 ton all the way with a tranny cooler. Exceeding the GCWR of a vehicle is very dangerous. I have read stories of people pulling loads in excess of the GCWR a guy hit a car coming down a hill and killed the passenger. The survivor sued for 2 million and won. Insurance would not cover as he exceeded the manufacture spec. of the truck (he should have bought the F-550 for the load). He had to sell everything he owned to pay the money when he could have spent a few thousand more for a bigger truck and not killed someone. Also he went to jail on top of that. I would get the best truck for the weight you haul.

Audrey
06-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Cahnge the gears to 4.10 or 4.56 and it will 'pull' as good as any 3/4 ton

Ya know, when I ordered the truck I had the option of the 4.10's. I knew 3.42 was too high, and I thought, ahhhh.... the 73's will be fine with a 350. Better mileage when not towing too.

Dumb, dumb,dumb... Had I known then what I know now...

;)

A

KS_Grasscutter
06-19-2006, 10:34 PM
I pull a 12' single axle trailer with a ZTR and all the trimmers and such with a ranger. It is a 2002, 2wd., 3.0 v6. Trailer has no brakes, but as long as i drive resonablly it stops it just fine. It will go almost 60 on the highway, but I dont ever go faster then 50 on the highway, and not usually more then 30 in town...I place a high importance in being able to stop, with the high levels of moron drivers in town here:hammerhead: . I know, it is not the best setup, but for what i have to do, it works just fine. But, my next truck will probablly be a 3/4 ton. The main thing that sucks about the ranger is i cant haul much grass in it.

KS_Grasscutter

Howie's Lawn Care
06-19-2006, 10:51 PM
I pull a 12' single axle trailer with a ZTR and all the trimmers and such with a ranger. It is a 2002, 2wd., 3.0 v6. Trailer has no brakes, but as long as i drive resonablly it stops it just fine. It will go almost 60 on the highway, but I dont ever go faster then 50 on the highway, and not usually more then 30 in town...I place a high importance in being able to stop, with the high levels of moron drivers in town here:hammerhead: . I know, it is not the best setup, but for what i have to do, it works just fine. But, my next truck will probablly be a 3/4 ton. The main thing that sucks about the ranger is i cant haul much grass in it.

KS_Grasscutter
You're running the same setup as me as far as what you haul. I have the 4.0L and it is week on the highway. The tranny was shuddering and I got the fluid changed. It made an instant difference, and it seems to pull better, but still not much power in the 50-60MPH range. How does the 3.0L tow? Pulling the trailer is really eating my brakes. I don't bag very often, but when I do, my bed sucks because of my toolbox, which reduced it to a 4'8" to 5' bed length. Then I have to shovel that crap out.

What do you guys think about the KAWs?

What

6'7 330
06-19-2006, 10:59 PM
The thing about hauling Z-turns, and loads on the heavy side with S-10, Ranger type trucks,safety issues aside,they ain't gonna hold up to heavy day in, day out rigors of towing, year in,year out.They are not designed for heavy duty hauling.

Either one of those kawi's might be a hair underpowered, we have a horizonal Kawi 25 on a 60-inch Toro Turbo force ,in heavy grass it does bog a little bit.
Personally on the 52 id like the 23, and the 60 coupled with a 27 .

Howie's Lawn Care
06-20-2006, 01:04 AM
The thing about hauling Z-turns, and loads on the heavy side with S-10, Ranger type trucks,safety issues aside,they ain't gonna hold up to heavy day in, day out rigors of towing, year in,year out.They are not designed for heavy duty hauling.

Either one of those kawi's might be a hair underpowered, we have a horizonal Kawi 25 on a 60-inch Toro Turbo force ,in heavy grass it does bog a little bit.
Personally on the 52 id like the 23, and the 60 coupled with a 27 .
I guess you're right about the trucks, and hearing that a 60" with 25HP bogs tells me a 23HP may be underpowered. Would you say 25HP is still sufficient though. I think the toro 52" w/ 30HP kohler sounds alright.:weightlifter: Thanks for you thoughts. I have this feeling you're really just some 6'6" 328 who lies about their height and weight, but it would be silly to make that up.:dizzy: I bet you think I'm muy loco en el cabaso? Cause I'm handy with the steal, a regulator, a truth terrorist, a knowledge gangster. I will send you a dragon buffet coupon if you give me the title ogf the song in which a few of the title I gave myself were mentioned in. You would also need to give me your address for me to mail the coupon, but then you'd probably hang up or I'd have to give it to you over the phone. You know what I'm sayin g? Please don't be upset. It's just that I'm down for whatever.

-Nick Howard
Future owner of Marcus Allen's restaurant franchise to be located in pasedina, california, oakland, california, kansas city, kansas?

rb_in_va
06-20-2006, 10:24 AM
I have this feeling you're really just some 6'6" 328 who lies about their height and weight, but it would be silly to make that up.:dizzy: I bet you think I'm muy loco en el cabaso? Cause I'm handy with the steal, a regulator, a truth terrorist, a knowledge gangster. I will send you a dragon buffet coupon if you give me the title ogf the song in which a few of the title I gave myself were mentioned in. You would also need to give me your address for me to mail the coupon, but then you'd probably hang up or I'd have to give it to you over the phone. You know what I'm sayin g? Please don't be upset. It's just that I'm down for whatever.

-Nick Howard
Future owner of Marcus Allen's restaurant franchise to be located in pasedina, california, oakland, california, kansas city, kansas?

:confused: :dizzy:

Howie's Lawn Care
06-20-2006, 01:19 PM
:confused: :dizzy:
speak on it son...or I'll knock the tast out your mouth?

rb_in_va
06-20-2006, 02:02 PM
speak on it son...or I'll knock the tast out your mouth?

Are you unsure of yourself. Better get home, I think your mommy is calling.:D

ProStreetCamaro
06-20-2006, 02:44 PM
16' open/dual axle, with brakes. Stoppng is okay with the controller, but going up good sized hills with just one ZTR, it's a pooch. I'm okay on the flats with two Tigers, but uphill I seriously doubt I will have enough. I won't even think of purchasing an enclosed trailer as long as I use this truck for pulling.A

Our 98 K2500 with the 350 and 4.10 gears pulls out landscape trailor with 2 ZTR's and a 36" wb just fine. dont even know its back there. We also use it to pull our 16" open car trailor and my race car. Those 2 combined weight about 5400 and it does fine with that also. What I would be worried about if I were you is that 4L60E transmission. Ours has the big 4L80E. Yours might to if its the 1500 HD.

HenryB
06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Tacomas are rated to pull 5000lbs. If your pulling less than that your fine. I'd recommend a brake box. A local guy has been pulling 2 ZTR's with a Tacoma for 10 yrs no problems everything is original on the truck. He also drives like an idiot(way too fast).

6'7 330
06-20-2006, 05:47 PM
I guess you're right about the trucks, and hearing that a 60" with 25HP bogs tells me a 23HP may be underpowered. Would you say 25HP is still sufficient though. I think the toro 52" w/ 30HP kohler sounds alright.:weightlifter: Thanks for you thoughts. I have this feeling you're really just some 6'6" 328 who lies about their height and weight, but it would be silly to make that up.:dizzy: I bet you think I'm muy loco en el cabaso? Cause I'm handy with the steal, a regulator, a truth terrorist, a knowledge gangster. I will send you a dragon buffet coupon if you give me the title ogf the song in which a few of the title I gave myself were mentioned in. You would also need to give me your address for me to mail the coupon, but then you'd probably hang up or I'd have to give it to you over the phone. You know what I'm sayin g? Please don't be upset. It's just that I'm down for whatever.

-Nick Howard

A little hard deciphering some of that lol . The 25 Kawi on one of our Toro's is adequate, it does bog somewhat during heavy growth periods, but gets the job done side diacharging . The engines on the two mower's you mentioned, probably all in all would be adequate for you as well, a bit underpowered, but side discharging or bagging you could get reasonable performance out of them .Where the bigger engine makes the difference,is mulching and during heavy thick growth periods. If you plan on installing a Mulch kit, defiantly spend the money for the bigger motor.

Howie's Lawn Care
06-20-2006, 06:56 PM
A little hard deciphering some of that lol . The 25 Kawi on one of our Toro's is adequate, it does bog somewhat during heavy growth periods, but gets the job done side diacharging . The engines on the two mower's you mentioned, probably all in all would be adequate for you as well, a bit underpowered, but side discharging or bagging you could get reasonable performance out of them .Where the bigger engine makes the difference,is mulching and during heavy thick growth periods. If you plan on installing a Mulch kit, defiantly spend the money for the bigger motor.
I guess you don't want the coupon for Dragon Buffet? I tried mulching plenty with my 23HP 52" and it never went too well. It definetley depends on the grass type obviously, but I had to double cut portions on practically every lawn. I used wavy mulching blades, regular mulching, and regular side discarge blades. They all failed to make it worth mulching, so I guess the mulch kit was a waste of $94. I side discharge everything now, and just have to blow out some parts of the flower beds if I'm not careful enough. Well, thanks for your response and have a good evening. My evening the other day was so crazy. I went to Wal-Mart at 2:00am and then I went to Taco Bell. I'm so hardcore. :dizzy:

-Nick Howard