PDA

View Full Version : Removing Stuck Caster Wheel Bearings?

MMLawn
06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Hey tech-heads I need some help. I have a dmbazz employee that ran one of my ZTR's with a bad front caster wheel bearing and didn't tell anyone. I happened to be with him today and heard it and ask him about it and had him park it. I went to my dealer and bought new axle bearings (they are sealed, btw) knowing this was a easy repair. BUT he ran the dang thing so long with them bad that when I removed the axle bolt the bearings just fell all to pieces and the outer caseings are stuck in each end. I have tried heating them and knocking them out afterwards with a screwdriver and hammer bu they are not budging!

HELP!:laugh:

MowerMedic77
06-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Try a B.F.H and a long Punch instead of a screwdriver.:nono:

MMLawn
06-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks. But a long punch does not work either.....it's not a screwdriver or a punch issue....it is a matter that the bearing housing are "welded"/stuck to the wheel because of being run bad so long. Punch or screwdriver I still need to know how to "loosen" them to get them out if you have any ideas.

What about "freezing" it to get the housing cold and hen heating as soon as I take it out of the freezer? I have heard of some using that method.

Oh.....and of course the B.F.H :laugh:

MowerMedic77
06-19-2006, 09:35 PM
May be easier to use a sawzall if you have to just cross cut the bearing housing in one spot then knock it out.

dvmcmrhp52
06-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Freezing works on things with a lot of mass to them but I don't believe it will work on the thin housing of a caster wheel........

A small wheel puller to pull them,or a small cutt off wheel on a dremel to cut them in half..............otherwise............A BFH with a good strong punch until they break........the bearing housings are hardened and will break if appropriately "convinced" to do so.............there is no easy way.........

Oh, wait......there is an easy way.......................
(a new caster wheel.....:laugh: )

Restrorob
06-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Use a regular size hammer and hammer around the outside of the wheel where the outer race is stuck then drive it out.

betterca
06-19-2006, 10:22 PM
I have had good luck with a product called "PB Blast". It is a penetrating oil that has a catalyst mixed in it. The stuff works miracles at times when all else has failed. I buy it off of the shelf at the local auto supply or farm supply stores. It's about five bucks.

MMLawn
06-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Use a regular size hammer and hammer around the outside of the wheel where the outer race is stuck then drive it out.

Thanks guys! This is exactly the method that worked. Had them out in 5 minutes after doing this.

Restrorob
06-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Glad to hear it worked for ya ......