PDA

View Full Version : hourly rate?

thelawnrangerpc
06-20-2006, 12:48 AM
I am new in the business. Can someone give me a good idea of what hourly rate I should use to figure out my bids.

MMLawn
06-20-2006, 12:57 AM
YOUR cost of doing business per hour + YOUR needed Profit above that cost = YOUR charge per hour.......and only YOU can answer your question

Petr51488
06-20-2006, 01:10 AM
YOUR cost of doing business per hour + YOUR needed Profit above that cost = YOUR charge per hour.......and only YOU can answer your question

I could not of said it better myself..

HighGrass
06-20-2006, 06:41 PM
It's true...only you can best determine what you should charge. Try doing:waving: a search for the details of that giant venture:rolleyes:

Precision
06-20-2006, 08:56 PM
The search button is your friend.
There is probably 40 hours of reading on that topic.

but it boils down to what was stated above. But remember it doesn't matter what rate you charge if it is below your cost. be it $10 per hour or $100 per hour.

Personally I have different rates for different types of work. my base rate that covers my costs and profit. Then higher rates based on what I know people will pay for hedge trimming, sodding, poison ivy removal, jungle taming or whatever.

Example. I am cutting the lawn of a .17 acre gross lot property tomorrow. I am getting $175 for a single cut.
I know the city is coming to do it and they will charge at least $250.
I will brush blade it down, edge and line trim and be out in less than an hour.
does my hourly rate fit into this at all. NO
but I know I am making a mint and the customer feels like he is getting a deal instead of having the city do it.

So everyone wins.

Flex-Deck
06-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Most of the posts on this thread are exactly right - A job (example 1 acre = $60 in your area) is going to be rewarded to the person that is in the ball park figure of what the market bears in your area, and it may go to a person bidding more than a lowballer, if that person presents a case as to quality, consistancy, and timeliness.

I expect my mowers to make $1.25 per inch per hr. for the first 20 inches of width. (Example - first 21 inches of mower width should make $25 per hr.)

I expect my mowers to make $1.00 per inch from 21 to 60 inches (That is 40 inches = $40)

I expect my mowers to make $.60 per inch from 61 to 100 inches (That is 40 inches = $24)

I expect my mowers to make $.40 per inch over 100 inches

I have a 90" setup which should do $25(first 20") + $40(next 40") + $18(last 30") = $83 per hr. for that mower, and it does in fact do that.

I have a 114" setup which should and does make $25(first 20") + $40(next 40") + $24(next 40") + $5.60(last 14 inches) = $94.60/hr.

These hourly income rates are the result of the setup. My bidding is probably in the middle of the pack when all LCO's in our area are considered, and my bids are bid according to the size of the property with things like curbs, and difficult rough terrain taken into consideration. I think I do a pretty good job showing our clients that we are timely, consistant in trimming everything everytime, and just plain do quality work.