PDA

View Full Version : pic of mow job and need advice please.

jd-dave
06-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Im new to the striping and Im in the process of bying a john deere striper and just want some feed back from some pros on my work...I havent striped my yard yet but im going tomarow to see if I can buy a striper

here is my front yard kinda looks striped
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/lOstboy10889/Picture002.jpg
heres another pic and some of the land scaping I did to my house
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/lOstboy10889/Picture004.jpg
my lawn mower... its pretty good but I need to adjust the deck because it cuts uneven and I dont know how to do it... any tips?
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/lOstboy10889/Picture005.jpg
heres an 42" wide 18" tall striper Im thinking about buying and I need tips also on what the best way to strip my lawn would be
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/lOstboy10889/fb_1.jpg
thanks a lot. Im only 16 but Im thinking about going into a lawn bussiness when I get older

i_plant_art
06-20-2006, 01:47 AM
check your tire pressure to make sure that they are what they are supposed to be. and make sure the fronts a equal and the backs are both equal. that is always whats wrong with my mowers when they start to cut uneven.

ALarsh
06-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Your not getting nice stripes because your lawn isn't a lush green, strong base. Go get some scott's fert. and watch your stripes improve.

jd-dave
06-20-2006, 10:31 AM
I didnt use a striper on my lawn the stripes just come from my mowers tires... Ill post some pis when I get my jd striper. thanks.

BCSteel
06-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Thats not a striper, its a lawn roller.

mcwlandscaping
06-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Thats not a striper, its a lawn roller.
thank you! it has to do more with the type of grass and the way your cutting deck is set up than anything else. Because of the way my deck is set up i don't need a striper and i can lay some pretty nice stripes. If you want stripes so badly, go get a comm. WB. Youll end up ruining stripes IMO with all the turning around at the end of the rows with that mower. Not trying to be harsh, just sharing my opinion.

nmez21
06-20-2006, 11:38 AM
i've got an old L1-- model, the longer the grass- the worse the cut. I'm not sure if its just not standing the grass up very well before it cuts it or what. I've adjusted everything there is to adjust, almost have to double cut because of the quality of the cut, but it does stripe fairly well. Good luck.

ALarsh
06-20-2006, 11:40 AM
That JD will stripe with the correct grasses. I know because I owned one, the L130. I got that thing to stripe great, on par with my Z, but you have to have the correct conditions to do so.

jd-dave
06-20-2006, 03:17 PM
I went to the john deere place today and the guy told me that he uses a high lift blade (I have mulching blades) that makes strips but he said that he will cause a lot of wind and stuff and it will through rocks so its good to get a bagger.

jd-dave
06-20-2006, 03:30 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/lOstboy10889/yardsngardens_1897_6731763.jpg
I just bought this off the net for $100 and free s&h says it will lay beautiful stripes... I hope so

ALarsh
06-20-2006, 05:39 PM
I used high lifts... And with the correct conditions, you don't need a roller to lay a good stripe.

mulcahy mowing
06-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I used high lifts... And with the correct conditions, you don't need a roller to lay a good stripe.
Larsh remember they're not running commercial mowers like we are:) . tractors don't stripe to well..... guys check your deck pitch. the back should be a tad bit lower than the front no more than 1/4"

jd-dave
06-20-2006, 08:33 PM
really... I was looking at my deck and the back is higher than the front. how would I adjust it?

ALarsh
06-20-2006, 09:05 PM
You want the front 1/4" lower than the back.

jd-dave
06-20-2006, 09:11 PM
what the guy befor me said to make the back lower and the buy below me said to make the back higher... I just went out side and made the back of my deck about 1/4" lower than the front.. it that right?

mulcahy mowing
06-20-2006, 09:14 PM
You want the front 1/4" lower than the back.
larsh you sure on that all my decks have the back lower and cut great and leave nice stripes:confused:

****EDIT**** Ok sorry went down to check my mowers, listen to Larsh on that... My bad sorry

jd-dave
06-20-2006, 09:20 PM
well mine was higher in the back and it didnt cut even. I adjusted it to where the front is higher and tryed to level it and Ill see how it mows now.

mulcahy mowing
06-20-2006, 09:25 PM
ok let me get the level out here and realy check it out:laugh: :laugh:

mulcahy mowing
06-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Ok here the exmark has the front lower stripes great, toro z has front higher stripes great, tractor is level and stripes better than the toro and the exmark so take your pick..it's all in the mower i guess you have to figure it out on your mower.

nmez21
06-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Larsh remember they're not running commercial mowers like we are:) . tractors don't stripe to well

We all gotta start somewhere. I use my Lt155 for my gated yards w/ gator high lift blades. It's a homeowner model of tractor- it'll stripe the just about anything you want it to, although I do agree w/ mcwlandscaping- type and quality of the grass are key to a good stripe. Commercial mowers or not, you can throw just about any blade on a mower. You can mess w/ the deck pitch all you want- but the cut for my lt155 is still going to be mediocre. I don't use any special blades on my 727A, the 7iron II deck has the ability and engineering to cut, disperse, and stripe well w/o them. Too bad i bought the 727A at Wal-Mart in the non-commercial section.

We look back on this conversation-----a bunch of teens talking about deck pitch for the sake of leaving a stripe in grass :). My input- slightly less than 1/4 inch lower in front.

jd-dave
06-20-2006, 09:47 PM
yeah your right were just a bunch of teens trying to make stripes on grass.
idk I just like mowing my yard and when it looks good at then end it makes me happy so thats all I care about

jd-dave
06-20-2006, 09:49 PM
oh yeah my mower wich is a jd L100 what a bout $1700 its ok I guess but whats the difference besides the 0 turning with the commercial mowers

nmez21
06-20-2006, 09:51 PM
yeah your right were just a bunch of teens trying to make stripes on grass.
idk I just like mowing my yard and when it looks good at then end it makes me happy so thats all I care about

I know what cha' mean, I'm the same age as you. When I was younger, I saw it as a way to make my chores more fun. Now I enjoy going past some of the houses i mow and getting the satisfaction that the job was done right. Keep trying, you'll get some stripes sooner or later.

jd-dave
06-20-2006, 09:57 PM
yeah I work at food lion right now and I guess I make about $200 ever 2 weeks, its an ok job but the hours suck and they dont work with you that good. Im thinking if I start mowing yards in my town I could work around that and still go to school and have free time. I was thinking about putting an add in the news paper

mulcahy mowing
06-20-2006, 10:13 PM
We all gotta start somewhere. I use my Lt155 for my gated yards w/ gator high lift blades. It's a homeowner model of tractor- it'll stripe the just about anything you want it to, although I do agree w/ mcwlandscaping- type and quality of the grass are key to a good stripe. Commercial mowers or not, you can throw just about any blade on a mower. You can mess w/ the deck pitch all you want- but the cut for my lt155 is still going to be mediocre. I don't use any special blades on my 727A, the 7iron II deck has the ability and engineering to cut, disperse, and stripe well w/o them. Too bad i bought the 727A at Wal-Mart in the non-commercial section.

We look back on this conversation-----a bunch of teens talking about deck pitch for the sake of leaving a stripe in grass :). My input- slightly less than 1/4 inch lower in front.
HEY not saying anything by that. i SARTED with a tractor and still use it when it's needed! no offense ment!!:usflag:

dcondon
06-20-2006, 11:30 PM
well mine was higher in the back and it didnt cut even. I adjusted it to where the front is higher and tryed to level it and Ill see how it mows now.

The back of the deck is suppost to be 1/4 higher then the front. That is true with most mowers. Res/ Com:gunsfirin

There is a reason why they come that way!!!!!!!!

jd-dave
06-20-2006, 11:45 PM
oh well do you think it will hurt anything it the back is lower?

nmez21
06-21-2006, 12:07 AM
HEY not saying anything by that. i SARTED with a tractor and still use it when it's needed! no offense ment!!:usflag:

Alright, i spose i kinda jumped on ya for that. Thanks for being a good sport about it. No offense taken :usflag:

oh well do you think it will hurt anything it the back is lower?
I doubt it, if it came that way, it's probably ok. But if you don't mind messing with the cut a little , go right ahead and experiment, what does your manual say? Can't hurt too much on the L100 series that can't be fixed very easily. good luck with it.

ALarsh
06-21-2006, 01:08 AM
Its not going to hurt it but the cut isn't going to look as good.

jd-dave
06-24-2006, 09:39 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/lOstboy10889/Picture010.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/lOstboy10889/Picture009-1.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/lOstboy10889/Picture011.jpg

jd-dave
06-24-2006, 09:41 PM
some pics of my first stripes...and a water garden im building