PDA

View Full Version : Cat 430e It

jazak
06-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Has anyone tried it yet? What did you like or didn't about it? What are the differences from the 430D IT?

jazak
06-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Has anyone tried it?

Tigerotor77W
06-20-2006, 06:54 PM
I tried one today... um, there are a LOT of differences. Since I have to leave now, I'll have to get back to you on this one -- I'm sure the others may have an idea. I can get back to this post either later tonight or tomorrow night.

Tigerotor77W
06-20-2006, 10:12 PM
I'll try to tackle the differences... but keep in mind that the E-series represents the first fundamental change in BHL design for Cat since the curved boom (B-series) -- so there may well be things I don't even know.

Also -- I'm spending most of this reply on the differences of the machines, not what you're looking for. Is your choice between a used 430D and a new 430E? What do you plan to do with the machine? Is a BHL the best choice, or is a SSL-mini-ex a better suit? Will you need work tools? Who is your best local dealer? These questions deserve significant attention as well.

Backhoe:

The outer section of the Estick now slides, as with Deere and Case. However, unlike those two designs, the E-stick does not require grease: it is a greaseless design, made possible by rubber wear wedges inside the stick. These wedges are impregnated with grease to require no greasing. Furthermore, if the wedges need to be shimmed to account for wear, doing so takes only about 15 minutes (if I recall correctly), rather than two hours.

The boom nose has been strengthed.

There is one pin for the stick and boom cylinders, reducing the number of grease points.

THe swing casting has been reinforced and redesigned, and has replaceable bushings.

A serrated edge on the stick (E-stick or standard) allows for clamping of material with the bucket and the underside of the stick.

Replacement boom foot plates protect the underside of the boom.

The boom lock has been upgraded so that you can use the stick to lift. It also engages and disengages easier.

Loader:

The loader arms have been strengthened in key areas to reduce the chance of loader arm failures.

Cab

The cab has been significantly upgraded. It is now easier to spin the seat without hitting your knees on the side panels, the dashboard is narrower, and more vents allow for more airflow. Pilot joysticks are still standard, but the control for the E-stick is now a thumb wheel on the right joystick -- roll up to move stick out; down to move stick in. The pattern change lever has been moved from the left fender area to inside the cab, allowing for on-the-go pattern changes from Deere to Cat or vice-versa. The joysticks are redesigned, giving a better feel. Overall, the cab has a better fit-and-finish, and appears more automotive.

Powertrain

For the 430E (in the US and Canada), the torque converter has grown larger, allowing for greater rimpull.

Brakes have been improved to address the poor brake life and performance of D-series machines.

New valves in the transmission have been added to promote smoother shifts.

New rear axles are larger and stronger and have outboard planetary gearsets.

(Lumping servicability here as well...)

The entire engine hood tips up, allowing for one-sided access to common service points.

Air cleaner is of a better design.

Cab fresh air filter is accessable from ground level.

I'd like to say that those are the most significant changes, but keep in mind the strong features of the D-series (smooth joysticks, good digging forces, brake mode selector, good cab) have been either retained or improved. I operated a 430D last fall, and had the chance to do some digging (backhoe) today with a 420E. The 420E digs really well -- very smooth, and it seemed to have more power than the 430D (it could be because soil conditions may have been different). The joysticks seemed to be smoother, the cab quieter (even with both doors open), and visibility was great down to the trench (due to window changes).

Overall, I think the E-series is best in class. Of course that's just the opinion of an engineering student, but I certainly consider it a step up from the D-series, which was already a decent product.

Good luck -- we're always around to answer questions. :)

Edit: you can always view the E-series literature at http://govbidspec.cat.com/cda/layout?m=39620&x=7

Squizzy246B
06-21-2006, 09:13 AM
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

and don't complain about the service on lawnsite:rolleyes: :clapping: :clapping:

Xing, if this site had a rep points system you'd be buried.

jazak
06-21-2006, 09:39 AM
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

and don't complain about the service on lawnsite:rolleyes: :clapping: :clapping:

Xing, if this site had a rep points system you'd be buried.

What????:dizzy:

Squizzy246B
06-21-2006, 07:18 PM
What????:dizzy:

I was referring to the fact that you could hardly gey a more comprehensive answer if you tried. An excellent post.

jazak
06-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Ohh a thought you were making fun of him for making such a long post and giving so much info. Sorry :)

Tigerotor77W
06-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Haha, squiz, thanks! If I ever visit Australia, with Cat or otherwise, I'll pay you a visit.

jazak, any insight on the questions I had posed about your machine requirements?

2109 Stang
06-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Ive been reading your posts for quite some time ,and wanted to thank you for all the info you provide to site for all of us .

iowacatman
06-28-2006, 08:59 AM
I've been on one. They pretty much changed the machine from front to back. Improved power. The shared pin for the sick/bucket cylinder is for the new site reference system.

I just returned from Peoria with some customers, they were very impressed. Mostly they were impressed with the smoothness of the backhoe, and the comfort of the cab.

Tigerotor77W
06-28-2006, 08:02 PM
2109 Stang: I'm more impressed with the level of service at these sites than just about anything. The engineer in me craves a little marketing, and I'm thankful I can actually hear some owner opinions once in a while. It's a very important part of engineering, even if some companies' engineers (no names.... :D) don't get it as much as I might want in my future career. In the meantime, what do you think of the 2109?

iowacatman: of course you hit the ones I missed. Thanks for filling in the gaps.

2109 Stang
06-28-2006, 08:46 PM
I love it ,it's got a load of power smooth ride and it does all I specked ,super high reach and low clearance ,uh and very fast it reaches over my big Kenworth witch is the tallest truck Ive ever owned only have 150 hrs on it but so far so good

jazak
06-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Haha, squiz, thanks! If I ever visit Australia, with Cat or otherwise, I'll pay you a visit.

jazak, any insight on the questions I had posed about your machine requirements?

Yeah thanks alot for that. I haven't tested one out yet so just wanted to see if it would even be worth my time to look into a little more.(my sale dealer is 1 1/2-3 hours away, depending on traffic :dizzy: ) Thanks for all the other replies guys. You pretty much answered most of my questions now just to find time to take a ride to the dealer. :)

CarterKraft
09-09-2006, 10:22 AM
I am not sure if it was mentioned but the controls are now electro-hydraulic.

Also the axle hasn't yet been proven in this application but I can't wait to see how it performs, at this rate anything is better than the old Ford axle :hammerhead:.

We have been doing 2-4 brake jobs a month for the last year on 416 & 420D's I hope that will change.

Tigerotor77W
09-09-2006, 12:50 PM
CarterKraft, welcome to the site! Glad to have your additional expertise around.

I also hope the brakes have improved significantly; I know brake pressure (er, the force needed to apply the brakes) is much better. My university's biggest complaint with the 430Ds they have is the brakes, so to stop the Deere seepage into our campus, hopefully the 430E is improved enough. *crosses fingers*

CarterKraft
09-09-2006, 02:54 PM
If the D models are repaired using the newer Kevlar discs and the top secret piston seals the problems seem to end so... If you ever have to do any break work done I would demand the Kevlar discs and round piston seal that is in a TIB that most aren't aware of. The round seal allows the piston to return a greater distance when the pedal is released allowing more slack to exist between the piston and the discs.

Another benefit is if the brakes due shell, they won't wipe out the final drive planetarys like before.

BTW this new axle is a derivitive of the Telehandler axle that they have run for along time with no problems.