PDA

View Full Version : Walker Mower Exhaust Burns Yard

mcambrose
06-20-2006, 10:45 AM
In the hot summertime, some of my Walker's burn spots in the yard when we stop to empty the grass catcher. The grass will green back up in a week or two, but it is an eyesore. Has anyone else had that problem? I have considered getting an elbow and welding it to the end of the muffler to make the air go up instead of down.

Nosmo
06-20-2006, 12:25 PM
If the exhaust on my machine was burning the grass while I unloaded the bag or bags and if I wanted to continue to bag my choices are: stop engine to unload bags (too much trouble each time) or extend the exhaust into a different direction.

Nosmo

MTR
06-20-2006, 05:07 PM
It is called poor engineering by people who sit inside ac room without even going and cut real grass. Computer program geek doing drawing and such but have no real hands-on experience, what on earth, very dumb design to burn grass by exhaust when stopping!

mcwlandscaping
06-20-2006, 05:12 PM
home depot, one 45 degree steel coupler that has screw tighteners on each end and a 4" piece of steel piping same size as the originaly exhaust, put that on the end of the original exhaust and that should help i would assume i did that for one of my lawn tractors years ago, that was to make it look like it had a Mack Truck Stack exhaust though!!.....i agree though, poor designing.

AAELI
06-20-2006, 05:43 PM
In the hot summertime, some of my Walker's burn spots in the yard when we stop to empty the grass catcher. The grass will green back up in a week or two, but it is an eyesore. Has anyone else had that problem? I have considered getting an elbow and welding it to the end of the muffler to make the air go up instead of down.

Walker has a new muffler kit that eliminates the problem. The muffler update was primarily done to eliminate the after shutdown 'bang' of the kohler but also seems to avoid the burning grass problem. The potential under certain conditions to cause grass burn has been addressed in the past by notes to dealers. What I have to ask is how long have you had these and when did the problem first occur?

By the way, to those comments regarding engineering, Walkers are engineered by 'hands-on" guys who are in the shop and field, not design board weenies! These are farm boys who love to tinker and in the process came up with a great product. They value feedback and have proved responsive to suggestions where practical. Improvements don't take years to be implemented.

mike lane lawn care
06-20-2006, 10:20 PM
wow never heard of that, i can't believe that just stopping for a few mins would burn the grass.

MTR
06-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Walker is facing extinction down here, nobody uses them, the ones being used are so old and worn out. They need to come up with products that sell like Hustler, Gravely, Ferris, Kubota, DC, Toro/eXmark, JD, and Scag.

lawnmaniac883
06-21-2006, 02:19 PM
All the years that I have been down here I havent seen a single walker, that is what you call ancient.

Nosmo
06-21-2006, 02:29 PM
wow never heard of that, i can't believe that just stopping for a few mins would burn the grass.

I real time it only takes a few seconds to burn and or kill vegetation with an exhaust pipe. I've heard of flower beds being damaged from the exhaust (heat) by making a slow pass by.

ProStreetCamaro
06-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Walker is facing extinction down here, nobody uses them, the ones being used are so old and worn out. They need to come up with products that sell like Hustler, Gravely, Ferris, Kubota, DC, Toro/eXmark, JD, and Scag.

Walker? Whats a walker? Seriously I have never seen one being used or even heard of anybody around here with one.