PDA

View Full Version : big thanks from new customer

Ramairfreak98ss
06-20-2006, 02:22 PM
PICTURES are here http://community.webshots.com/album/550915712oRLRcI/0 shots i took about 2 months ago, my brother is on the mower. I dont know if shots of the half mile driveway are on here.

Well, my largest property that i cut, early this year i quoted out at $125, which was still too cheap for the 5 acre lot i didnt estimate to be THAT big.

The wife offers me $115 because the last lawn company cut for $120 and didnt want to pay more. I accepted, needing the work.

For the 10 cuts this year so far, weekly, they have normally called to complain about minor things like cutting INSIDE the pool area, which the gate only opens 15", hence i use a string trimmer for 3 minutes JUSt in that area.

I didnt cut around their mailbox, im sorry sir, it literally is .4 miles from your house, i did not walk up there with my trimmer, move a very heavy trampoline every time to cut under it and ladder in back of house. list goes on and on. minor things. The lawn already takes darn near 2hrs worth of work for one person on the mower entire time and other person doing everything else, which i finish before my brother finishes on the mower.

Last week when i was out there, he asked me to bag the lawn lol, i said i cannot do that, even with the capability, i would need a dump truck to remove the grass or if i put it into his woods, would have to dump grass from almost a half mile away up his half mile driveway when full.... it would be $400 a cut or something literally.

Last week his wife also tells my brother that works with me, she wants it cut THIS COMMING Wednesday LATE morning. like wtf, i dont offer a hourly service here for already a very very low rate for this lawn. So i planned my schedule to start with her lawn 9am wednesday morning/tomorrow. JUST because i know theyve complained about minor trimming issues in the past, i went up along their driveway and cut 2' tall and probably 500ft long of weeds from under the "horse fence" that borders their neighbors horse farm/back yard.

I get a call today at 1pm, less than 20hrs notice, that they do not want me to cut the lawn anymore, he states he has another company that is going to do it and then states he bought his own machine too in the same message, says theyll pay me what they owe for my last cut, which is only one cut for $115.00 plus tax.

I gave him a quote for lawn repair for most of his front/side yards back in late april too for $5k since its in terrible condition, hard to keep on the ZTR because you bounce off the thing, holes, pits, large bumps, weeds bunched up and lots of dirt, also floods there and water sits long times and i had to clean up my mower last time. I didnt want to drop them and liked the extra $115 weekly but what a customer.

Remember, dont ever go out of your way above and beyond especially when theyve alrady bitched in the past and talked you down on price to begin with and did not want to sign a contract :hammerhead:

This lawn was $3565 plus tax per season, i take 3 equal payments over the season, april, june, august. The wife did not feel safe sending that kind of money for a deposit, i should have known right then to just walk especially after hammering down my price $10 per cut. BTW, they have a house that is 55' deep, two story in half of it, probably 7000+ sq ft, on over 5 acres, no neighbors and 220ft long, its worth a minimum, guessing of 2-3 million dollars in central jersey. i guess its for the good, figures theyre the type to stop service mid year.

29 Palms Property Management
06-20-2006, 02:36 PM
To put this in the nicest way possible: You were an absolute fool to do this for $115 to begin with! You are probably better off freeing up that time slot to mow some real paying accounts. How long did this property take from start to finish? People like that just make me laugh. PITA!!!

topsites
06-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Man what a problem, you got to drop this one asap and let them take advantage of the next noob, I've had a few like this before, almost got stuck with another one this year... Actually, I DID get stuck with one but what they failed to realize is that I don't take a loss no matter what. So go right ahead and talk me down, if I make the mistake of accepting then you will get what you pay for and they can complain all they want because until they fire me, I do the absolute bare minimum to squeak out of there with minimal losses.

Forget all this stuff about quality and customer service, you get what you pay for, so if you don't want to pay a lot then you don't get a lot and if they don't like it, no problem. Some are cool, some will pay all year for basic (cheap) service and they're happy so I have no problems with that, but this kind?

Yeah, got a 3-some million dollar house but can't afford more than 120 / cut? Gimme a break, their tax payment is more than all my monthly bills combined, their mortgage payment OMG ... I mean LOOK at this... On a 3.1m dollar property at 6 percent over 30 years, are you ready for this? The monthly mortgage payment comes to $18,975.77 and that is no typo, it's straight from an online calculator.

19 thousand dollars a month and they 'can't afford the high price of your lawn service,' gimme a break.

p.s.: I hope you were sitting down when you saw that 18.975 figure lol (well I was).

Brendan Smith
06-20-2006, 03:01 PM
i had a similar customer and the best thing i ever did was drop him. i told him that i didn't feel like i had the time to give his property the care it needed (i left out the part about him being a wanker). good riddance to bad rubbish!!
now go make some $$$$

tomo
06-20-2006, 03:20 PM
hello, 2hrs mowing , another worker 2hrs doing everything else 120$us equation does not compute . 30$us to low /hr.As you mentioned pita cust seeyaa. I bet you feel releived:clapping: tomo

RD592
06-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Topsites explain to me how you came up with over 18000 dollar monthly note.

I used my calculator an only came up with 9127 dollars per month.

cwlawley
06-20-2006, 05:56 PM
I agree with 29Palms...are you blind? 5 acres on a 2-3 million dollar property. Haha. Here in NC in a 200K house that would be at the very minimum $200.00 with no trimming. I'd have quoted at least 285.00 for everything.

SimonCX
06-20-2006, 08:25 PM
First thing if your missing that much trimming anyone would be bitching. Not trimming around the mail box because it's a long walk and your complaining that there bitching I surprised they kept you for as long as they have. And one final thing 5 acres of grass with that much trimming for 115, you have to be out of your mind, you should be bidding double that.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-21-2006, 12:37 AM
29 palms, in short, it would take me alone nearly 2hrs, going fast, not trimming any extras not stated up front.

it would take me AND my help/brother still damn near 2hrs, the 61" mower going full time nearly the entire 2hrs, i would trim, blow, and trim extra stuff in the time it took him on the mower. It was nice having such a big area, but the bumps were so bad, it was a far cry from a "pleasurable" lawn for its size.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Yeah, got a 3-some million dollar house but can't afford more than 120 / cut? Gimme a break, their tax payment is more than all my monthly bills combined, their mortgage payment OMG ... I mean LOOK at this... On a 3.1m dollar property at 6 percent over 30 years, are you ready for this? The monthly mortgage payment comes to $18,975.77 and that is no typo, it's straight from an online calculator.

19 thousand dollars a month and they 'can't afford the high price of your lawn service,' gimme a break.

p.s.: I hope you were sitting down when you saw that 18.975 figure lol (well I was).

yeah, lol, not sure if they own it, finance the entire thing or whatever, but yeah, they have multiple cars, and live in a HIGH tax area, theyre taxes im sure are over 40k per year for this town in NJ alone plus the house payment or whatnot. get this they have FOUR large unit AC compressors outside and 3 Power junction boxes and one main ground box JUST for their house a half mile off the main road lol. I was a fool for accepting at a low rate, i wanted the "large" lawn since it was almost 3x larger than any of my other large lawns. All i did was burn up a ton of gas with the 27hp Kohler at 100% throttle for nearly 2hrs.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-21-2006, 12:45 AM
First thing if your missing that much trimming anyone would be bitching. Not trimming around the mail box because it's a long walk and your complaining that there bitching I surprised they kept you for as long as they have. And one final thing 5 acres of grass with that much trimming for 115, you have to be out of your mind, you should be bidding double that.

yeah i know, lol. if i made double that, i would stop with my ztr at every corner post, tree line etc to cut any/all weeds. I had the feeling they were cheap up front for some reason, then when the woman bid me down $10 for no other reason, the husband seemed like they just want it "CUT" as its a large country lawn, not groomed or concerened much about trimming, the mailbox is actually more on their neighbors side of the yard near the road anyway, didnt think twice about it.

Keep in mind, trimming this yard.... there was areas you couldnt see from across one end of the yard it was so large, i was trying to keep under 2hrs tops since i was already cutting myself short, if i was at $200+ , yeah ill be there 3hrs not rushing my a$$ off.

GrassBustersLawn
06-21-2006, 12:59 AM
GOod riddance to them. Learn a lesson from it and MOVE on!

Mike

HOOLIE
06-21-2006, 01:29 AM
Topsites explain to me how you came up with over 18000 dollar monthly note.

I used my calculator an only came up with 9127 dollars per month.

No...Topsites is right actually...I plugged in at 7% and it's close to 20K per month...and that's without insurance and property taxes...

SimonCX
06-21-2006, 07:56 PM
yeah i know, lol. if i made double that, i would stop with my ztr at every corner post, tree line etc to cut any/all weeds. I had the feeling they were cheap up front for some reason, then when the woman bid me down $10 for no other reason, the husband seemed like they just want it "CUT" as its a large country lawn, not groomed or concerened much about trimming, the mailbox is actually more on their neighbors side of the yard near the road anyway, didnt think twice about it.

Keep in mind, trimming this yard.... there was areas you couldnt see from across one end of the yard it was so large, i was trying to keep under 2hrs tops since i was already cutting myself short, if i was at $200+ , yeah ill be there 3hrs not rushing my a$$ off.

Thats one of the reasons I don't like it when they say just "cut" because you know that 2 months down the road you end up doing more because they keep asking for more for the same price. Usually the ones that say they don't care about trimming are always the pita about it. It's either I do mow, trim, edge and blow or I won't take them, I tried of cheap people trying to get something for nothing, especially the ones that have 1+ million houses and 100k cars in the driveway but can't afford to pay me $30 to cut there grass.

David Haggerty
06-21-2006, 09:13 PM
With getting rid of an account like that your net income would probably increase. That's one of the worse accounts I've ever heard of.

jazak
06-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Dude you're crazy!! I wouldn't touch that for less then $300

SimonCX I totally agree with you. Example customer I have is not very rich and just bought herself a

house that cost $250K. She is not married so she pays all her bills from the money she makes. A

nieghbor a cross the street waves me over to give him a quote on his yard. I told him $40 everyother

week. (He lives in a $310K house and has new 4 cars and is married) He goes oh that to high a have a

township worker do it for $20. So I said does he own the equipment? Does he have insurance?

Does he have workers? Does he pays taxes for this?(Csh payments)

The answer was no which I already knew since I saw the TOWNSHIP WORKER

USING THE TOWNS EQUIPMENT, TRUCKS, AND GAS mowing his yard. I want to rip this township

workers head off!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: Who the h@ll is he to be using equipment that a pay for

with my taxes to go out and get lawns for such cheap @ss prices and not get in any

trouble!!!!!:realmad: :angry: :realmad: