PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody bag anymore?

soccer911
06-20-2006, 02:18 PM
I got a call today about mowing this persons lawn. He said he want the yard bagged. I haven't bagged a yard in 4 years. I figured I would charge him $35.00 per cut without bagging, so what is a good amount to charge for bagging? Some one who bags alot give me some advice.

Thank you,
Kevin

29 Palms Property Management
06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Sorry I can't give advice. I won't bag grass clippings. I have not been asked to do so either. Maybe 1.5 X's a regular mow? I don't know. Sorry.

ProStreetCamaro
06-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Explain to him bagging is bad for the lawn. Also explain that your going to have to charge more to bag concidering its alot more work and you have to pay to dump the clippings and its extra time spent going to the dump. When you take the clippings away you are also takeing away nutrients that would normaly leach back into the soil like nitrogen.

DAVEY PROS
We bag all the time (unfortunately). It helps to bag with a 21'.

I would charge $15-$20 more but no more than that. Wage in the cost of the bags or gas to dump the clippings.

CBramble
Guess it depends on the size of the yard. How big we talking? If its small then maybe $45. I don't add much for bagging b/c I have access to a place I can dump that is just down the road. What I do with the few yards I do bag is take along a few garbage cans and fill them up. Easier to load the grass and also to dump. Tarp also works OK.

soccer911
06-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I usually explain the benefits to mulching vs. bagging but this man wants bagging so I added 25.00 per mowing to bag. I think he will end up having me mulch.

Thanks for everything

Brendan Smith
06-20-2006, 04:32 PM
no bagging at all. if clippings are an issue, i can either come more often or they can call someone else. i prefer to do what is best for the lawn, and if i am not allowed to do so, i don't want to be involved at all.

plus, bagging is a royal pita

HighGrass
06-20-2006, 05:36 PM
...I do bag one lawn, every other week. In between I just cut as usual. I think in another month, I'll probably cut every week without bagging but the growth rate durng spring necessitated that I bag. I charge $12.00 a load. A load for my mower is when the 3 bag system (Scag Wildcat, 16bu system) gets emptied on the back of my trailer. The last mowing wasn't too bad...just .8 of a load. The worst it's been was about 4 weeks ago when I hauled off 3 loads! Good money though. I have to plan it as being the last thing I do all day so I'm not hauling clippings around all day. It works....for now.

SWD
06-20-2006, 05:51 PM
My crews bag approximately 10% of the sites maintained, yet these sites are veeerrry high dollar residentials, $1mill and up.
The crews are running Navigators, so the bagging really isn't an issue with them.
Once the alarm goes off, drop over the tarp, once the site is finished the tarp is picked up into a dump bed on the tow vehicle.
They can run two full days before the dump truck is fully loaded.
The clippings are either dumped in a large pile at a local rancher's property for his use or I have other places to unload.
I do not seperate the costs for collection vs not as these customers pay for it already.
On some of my commercial sites that want collection during certain times of the year, it is $50/labor hour in addition to the turf being mown.
Regarding the benefits of mulching vs collection, the soils at these sites are very high content clay. I'm already fertilizing at 7 lbs/1k/year. Additionally, the turf is maintained at about 1.5" so mulching isn't an option due to the debris left behind.

6'7 330
06-20-2006, 05:58 PM
About 18% of our account's get bagged. Mainly high end condos, commercial's and residential estates.

rodfather
06-20-2006, 06:53 PM
haven't bagged in many many moons...and I plan to continue it this way unle$$ it'$ worth my while :)

troy03
06-20-2006, 07:12 PM
We charge around $5-$15(sometimes more) extra depending on the yard and how much it grows. It works well, All my customers are willing to pay the extra to have the clippings collected. We bag about 70% of our accounts.