PDA

View Full Version : Need help on choosing the right truck...

palawnman
06-20-2006, 05:54 PM
First let me start by saying that I know very little about trucks (except how to drive one). I am in the process of looking for another truck. It's primary use is for work only.

It will be pulling around 2 ZTR's (exmark 60" and 48") : and hopefully will be using it in the winter to plow. I have another truck for personal use and for doing estimates. So this truck will basically be just for pulling the trailer and plowing. The rest of the time it will rest. Now here are my 2 choices:

1) 1995 Ford F150 (6 cyl) 4x4 manual. 85,000 miles (4.9 liter I think) $3350

2) 1994 Ford F150 (8 cyl) 4x4 automatic. 100,000 miles (I am not sure if it is 5.0 or 5.8) $5700

I know that this is not much info, I guess that my question is, am I better off going with the 8 cylinder for the purposes that I need it. Do you think that the 6 cylinder will be underpowered for plowing or pulling the trailer with that much weight on it? Dont base judgements on the price, both vehicles are priced pretty accurately. And they both seem to be in pretty good condition. Ideally I would love to take the cheaper one, but I dont want to have a truck that cant perform all that I need it to do.

All input is definitely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ron

lawnspecialties
06-20-2006, 06:05 PM
If you didn't have the snow plowing in there (it's pretty much a non-issue down here), I'd opt for the six cylinder truck. That 4.9L straight six is a really good motor and with a manual transmission, it will pull that load just fine.

palawnman
06-20-2006, 06:13 PM
If you didn't have the snow plowing in there (it's pretty much a non-issue down here), I'd opt for the six cylinder truck. That 4.9L straight six is a really good motor and with a manual transmission, it will pull that load just fine.

Do you think it will not handle the snow plowing too well?

LindblomRJ
06-20-2006, 06:41 PM
The 300 engine will be perfect for the job. The front suspension is not the best. But you can add a leaf to and make sure all the ball joints and pins etc are in good conditon. I am a big fan of the 300.

The 300 has low end torque, and is reliable.