PDA

View Full Version : Gravely PM34Z owners read!

CURBAPPEAL NC
06-20-2006, 05:45 PM
I recently put a few posts on here about changing hydro sensitivity because its easy to tear the yard with the setup. Well What I did was bought some better tires and it is so much better. I bought the Carlisle Multitrac c/s tires. I bought them 1" wider than the original. They dont make a 21" so went with a 20". So the size is a 20-8.00-10. I cant tell a diiference in height between the tires side by side. GO figure! Anyways the ride is better, Handles better, doesnt tear anything unless going just too fast and also looks meaner with these wider tires!
This is only my opinion/advise so you guys dont pick this paragraph apart, if you dont want to try then dont. anyways I am very happy with this mower now, feels like a whole new ride.

SouthernYankee
06-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the post, what type of grass are you cutting and do you do zero turns or 3 point turns?

Also did you find that your machines front wheels wear out fast?

CURBAPPEAL NC
06-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Tall fescue and centipede mostly, if not cutting weeds:laugh: I havent noticed any accelerated wear of the front tires although this is my first season with the mower. I wouldnt dare do zero turns with the old tires but I feel I could with the new ones given its was a plush yard. Im so used to 3 points I havent really tried yet. Ive only used the new tires for 1 day so ill get back at ya!

tennman
06-20-2006, 11:04 PM
I'd be interested in how they do on slopes vs the original ones.
Do the wider tires change the overall width of the machine or are they still narrower than the deck width.

ProStreetCamaro
06-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the post, what type of grass are you cutting and do you do zero turns or 3 point turns?

Also did you find that your machines front wheels wear out fast?

Front tires? Ours has over 400 hours and they look brand new. Our back tires are balder than a babys rear end.

SouthernYankee
06-21-2006, 01:59 AM
Pro Street,

my front tires have some bad cracks on them, I guess it has something to do with the heat down here in Houston.

Mowingman
06-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Beware: This change will make the tires the SAME width as your deck. So, when you trim along metal edging, or a chainlink fence, there is a good chance you will slice your sidewalls. The change may help traction, but it destroys the trim clearance you had originally.

CURBAPPEAL NC
06-21-2006, 10:52 AM
This mower doesnt have any deck trim sticking out anyways! I dont think 1/2" is makes a difference. Its only a half inch (of tire) addition on each side so it can still go through my smallest gates, it just might rub the tire a little which wont hurt unless for somereason the gate has sharp edges. some of my gates i had to rub the tire a little anyways with the old tires. Trust me this is a very small price to pay for the better ride and turf saving you get. Thats all, take it or leave it.

Envy Lawn Service
06-21-2006, 11:35 AM
What tire did it have on it originally? Turf Savers?

Mowingman
06-21-2006, 12:09 PM
They come with Carlisle Turf-Saver tires on the rear. With original tires, they have just over 1" tire clearance, on the trim side.
The wider tires reduce that to zero clearance.

Envy Lawn Service
06-21-2006, 12:14 PM
They come with Carlisle Turf-Saver tires on the rear. With original tires, they have just over 1" tire clearance, on the trim side.

OK thanks... I was just personally thinking the performance difference was probably more so the tread pattern difference rather than additional width.

My guess is that a good gripping tire in the same width (7" ?) would do as well.

MTR
06-21-2006, 12:58 PM
OK thanks... I was just personally thinking the performance difference was probably more so the tread pattern difference rather than additional width.

My guess is that a good gripping tire in the same width (7" ?) would do as well.

Envy, why do you already publicly support Hustler even you never own its mower? I am just curious...:walking:

Envy Lawn Service
06-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Envy, why do you already publicly support Hustler even you never own its mower? I am just curious...:walking:

Because Hustler itself is just such a good company.
Look at how well they support their customers and products.

Palmer'sLS
06-21-2006, 03:26 PM
nice post there envy...havent "seen" you in a while....posting that is

CURBAPPEAL NC
06-21-2006, 04:22 PM

Technically you only lose 1/2", the other half is on the inside! And uhh, what trim side? when buying this mower you should already realize its gonna cause more trimming than the bigger decks. And yeah the 7" multitrac c/s would be better than the original. Those turf saver are just too knobby! That being said the 8's dispurse the weight even more! And someone asked about hills, well today I had a chance to try them on some and there is definately a diff. The description for these tire even states they are great for hills. If it was just a litle better I wouldnt have even mentioned it, but its such a big diff. I had to share it with someone! I cant tell you how much better it handles! oh, and when i was comparing them side by side and measuring to fit the multitrac were only a little over a half inch wider anyways. I think it s because the turf savers are more rounded on the outside and the MT c/s are straiter up and down. So I dought your even losing half an inch!

tennman
06-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the info Curb.
Just ordered a pair for my 34Z.
I need all the help I can get on my slopes.

Envy Lawn Service
06-21-2006, 11:42 PM
OK... I've used the Multi-Trac CS tires and they are not bad.
They have really good 'turf' grip and they are a hard long wearing compound.

However... here are a couple of things to watch out for with them as a new owner.

1) When the grass is sticky, look out.... they pack full and have no grip.

2) I said they have 'turf' grip, not grip on hard packed bare soil.

nice post there envy...havent "seen" you in a while....posting that is

Yeah... everything here that is not irrigated is burnt to a crisp now.
So I took some time to do some traveling around to other states.
Doing a little re-location prospecting if you will... so I haven't been 'on' much.

Palmer'sLS
06-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Yeah... everything here that is not irrigated is burnt to a crisp now.
So I took some time to do some traveling around to other states.
Doing a little re-location prospecting if you will... so I haven't been 'on' much.

same here....its a rough year to be in my second year....im cutting some yards only 1-2 MONTHLY...it sux...o well....at least everything is paid for:clapping: good to see ya back tho envy...you sir are a wealth of knowledge:cool2:

Mowingman
06-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Tough year again here in North Texas. Since Jan. 2005, we are 30" below average in our rainfall. Worst drought here since the early 1950's. We only got 15" last year, and we are looking worse this year already.

tennman
06-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Just got my CS's today.
Man, they sure look wider just sitting beside the stock turf savers. Will get them mounted tomorrow and try them out.

How much air are you guys running in them?

Envy Lawn Service
06-26-2006, 10:06 PM
I have ran as low as 8 PSI in them.
They are a stiff carcass tire, or mine were anyways.
But note the smallest size I have used is 20x10-10.

tennman
07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Just an update.

Installed the new tires and I have to say it is like a different machine now on slopes.
The areas that felt really shakey before are no problem now. This thing hugs like glue.
Only thing I have noticed is that it is much easier to squeal the tires turning on pavement. I guess it is the extra width.

Thanks for this tip to the original poster.