PDA

View Full Version : So what is wrong with a Emark belt system again?

Freddy_Kruger
06-20-2006, 09:54 PM
I was pricing mowers and I got a chance at a last years model 48" exmark for $3500 CAD. A 36" 2006 costs $3600 (maybe its bs) but its a belt and I cannot afford a hydro which is $6900 CAD. I don't thingk I'll buy it but I would just like an education on this stuff and the only way I learn is by discussing and reading on it here.

grass disaster
06-20-2006, 09:56 PM
804 posts on here and you still don't know the difference?

Freddy_Kruger
06-20-2006, 09:58 PM
804 posts on here and you still don't know the difference?
I don't own one you genius, have the rest of your posts been as helpful..? pfft...

fiveoboy01
06-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I'll agree. You've got more than enough posts to know what the search feature is for.

I rarely ask a question on here, I just do a search and it gives me all the info I need.

Just type in "belt" and do a "titles only" search and you'll find about a million reasons why hydro is more desirable than belt drive.

Freddy_Kruger
06-20-2006, 10:43 PM
I'll agree. You've got more than enough posts to know what the search feature is for.

I rarely ask a question on here, I just do a search and it gives me all the info I need.

Just type in "belt" and do a "titles only" search and you'll find about a million reasons why hydro is more desirable than belt drive.
I'm obviously looking for more than just what a damn belt is. I want to know if 3500 canadian for a 48" exmark is too good a deal to pass up.
I

MysticLandscape
06-20-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm obviously looking for more than just what a damn belt is. I want to know if 3500 canadian for a 48" exmark is too good a deal to pass up.
I

I dont know the exchange rate but what is that in american money?

ALL Around Xteriors
06-20-2006, 11:54 PM
I was quoted for a 48'' exmark metro belt drive $2800 US. just $200 more than the 36'' metro

topsites
06-21-2006, 12:14 AM
In short, the difference between belts and hydros is that as belts wear, the Wb loses speed which can only be compensated via the hand controls. On a pistol-grip or ECS Wb this translates into PAIN, whereas the hydro has as much speed as when it was new, everyday.

But for all that, why not just get the 48" Toro with the T-bar for US $ 3,000.00 and be done with the bs?
The T-bar's comfort makes up for the pita considerably, thou the last 5-6 yards can be a pain if it takes that long to finally break.
Once you learn the tell-tale signs, you can always replace it before it gets to that point, you lose a few yards per belt.
On average, one belt a year, maybe two (with practice, less and less they wear like that).

6'7 330
06-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Belts, the belts tend to slip in wet conditions, belts don't have a true positive reverse, belts ain't gonna do as good on steep hills. NUMBER ONE ---BELTS AINT AS PRODUCTIVE AS A HYDRO.And if you work in the field yourself, or with employees,you and the employees asses will be dragging less,at the end of a long more productive day of mowing.

Freddy_Kruger
06-21-2006, 12:55 AM
Exchange rate is pretty close to 14% I think. $3500 CAD should be about $3000 USA but for some reason the dealers here jack it up even more on most products like 20-30%.

I am tempted but just the way the guy was talking about the belt one (I asked him about hydro) it sounds like it might be hard to turn on its heels compared to hydro which can, apparently turn backwards, when I'm on a sulkey (and I'm going to get a sulkey if I get a WB, lol.) Problem with hydro its almost twice as much. $6900 bucks. :( out of the question this year.

Topsite do those toros mulch real well? This exmark I'm talking about had ECS handles btw.

Freddy_Kruger
06-21-2006, 01:00 AM
Also, is the fixed/floating deck much of an issue? my lawns are generally flat.

ANd is that $3000 usa toro a hydro?

Mower For Less
06-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Exchange rate is pretty close to 14% I think. $3500 CAD should be about $3000 USA but for some reason the dealers here jack it up even more on most products like 20-30%.

I am tempted but just the way the guy was talking about the belt one (I asked him about hydro) it sounds like it might be hard to turn on its heels compared to hydro which can, apparently turn backwards, when I'm on a sulkey (and I'm going to get a sulkey if I get a WB, lol.) Problem with hydro its almost twice as much. $6900 bucks. :( out of the question this year.

Topsite do those toros mulch real well? This exmark I'm talking about had ECS handles btw.

Topsites clearly has never owned or operated any mower other than his Toro. What PAIN is involved in a belt wearing? You LET GO to drive, not squeeze? There are tensioner adjustments with springs that get adjusted as the belt wears. I have had the original drive belts on my Exmark belt drive for 4 years now and counting. If your going through 2 a year.... maybe you should stop and figure out whats going on.

Hydros are superior in the field for all the reasons 6'7 330 stated, and I love my hydro and have never looked back for 1 second since getting it. I still have my belt, but now it is relegated to backup duty and supplemental mowing on very large lawns. But, I did run with a belt only for 1 full season, and it did work. If you primarily cut open lawns that will not require the use of reverse, the belt should suit you fine. If you have lawns with nooks and crannies that you need to back out of, or tight areas that will require the use of reverse, get the hydro and suck up the cost.

Kevin