PDA

View Full Version : What kind of oil quiets kohler chattering lifters?????

milo
06-20-2006, 08:59 PM
25hp kohler lifters chattering perty loud. anyone know what oil quiets them down and the weight??? i was now thinking of going to a synthetic..

dvmcmrhp52
06-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Have you changed the oil recently?
They tend to make a bit of noise when needing a fresh batch of 30 weight oil.

Restrorob
06-20-2006, 09:35 PM
NEVER run anything but 10W30 oil in a Kohler Command engine PER Kohler.
If you have excessive lifter noise find the reason why, Low oil pressure ?
How many hours are on this engine ?

ed2hess
06-20-2006, 09:35 PM
I used Sea Foam in the oil and that took care of my problem. I only put it in once after oil change, guess it cleaned something up. Kohler certified repair person was the one who suggested doing it.

edward hedrick
06-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Try a can of Kohler spec oil. Ihad a similiar problem, Ed

khouse
06-20-2006, 10:03 PM
the kohler command 25 have lifter problems. i had one do the same thing. i tried synthetic with no help. they tried to tell me that lifter noise was normal and after telling them that any engine with 100 hours and very loud lifter noise was NOT normal. the only thing that fixed my lifter problem was when Kohler replaced it with a command pro engine. (no cost to me) i have about 400 hours on the new one and it's quiet as a mouse. call kohler and your dealer.

milo
06-20-2006, 10:03 PM
well i either run 10w 40 or 10w 30. i think i will buy some kohler 10w30 oil next time at the dealer and put that in.. i did read to use that sea foam to but i dont know where to buy it by me. where do they sell the stuff???

dvmcmrhp52
06-20-2006, 11:00 PM
well i either run 10w 40 or 10w 30. i think i will buy some kohler 10w30 oil next time at the dealer and put that in.. i did read to use that sea foam to but i dont know where to buy it by me. where do they sell the stuff???

If you're running 40 weight oil that could possibly be the problem.
Run 30 weight.

tomo
06-20-2006, 11:56 PM
25hp kohler lifters chattering perty loud. anyone know what oil quiets them down and the weight??? i was now thinking of going to a synthetic..
hello, asuming all is well with your engine 10-30 10-40 ok Spoke to kohler the other day requiring higher pressure oil spring , not advised to be over 55psi [lifter pump up] I run large oil cooler and suffer 5 psi loss across system40-45 psi. Not particularly bothered.If you look in the manual it will say oil weights versus ambient temp . I choose 10-40 as i live in a mild to hot climate.50f--90f days allyear.Providing you have changed oil regularly 50 60hrs . Check oil pressure ok if not soft OEM cams/lifters is possible Typical OEM are cast cams and not of a high qual material.Apparantly kohler has lifter issues. Get it checked. tomo

AAELI
06-21-2006, 12:44 AM

I found Sea Foam at my NAPA dealer. I have used it in both the oil and in the gas. I also used it in my T100 when the lifters got noisy. Worked very well indeed.

I also use 30W for the most part as our daytime temps are daily, year round in the mid to high 80's occasionally in the low 90's. Night time gets 'down to a cool' 78 degrees. Such is life in paradise.

Guam, Where America's day begins.

Jman
06-21-2006, 08:39 AM
First of all, CH25 or CV25?? I'm assuming it's a CV. Next, how old?? There is a repair kit for the CV's to quiet noisey lifters. It is 24 755 135-S. The vertical shaft engines had tendencies to get air bubbles into the #1 cylinder intake lifter (it's the highest one in the engine). Once the lifter gets air in it it can collapse and cause knocking noise. 10W-30 is the preferred oil just like all are saying. If it is an older unit and you do opt to put the kit in, I would also recommend changing the #1 intake lifter at the same time.

Tharrell
06-22-2006, 08:22 AM
I purchased a used WB that has a Kohler 15 on it. The dealer told me to use Kohler oil in it. I've heard him say this numerous times before to others. The only problem with Kohler oil is, you can't hardly see it on the dipstick. Anyway, he said it would keep the lifters quiet. So far I haven't had a problem and the cost is in line with other oils.

LawnBrother
06-22-2006, 09:23 PM
I had some lifter noise coming from my 15 Command Pro. My mechanic recommended Motorcraft 10W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil. Worked well. It still chatters a little when cold, but after a few minutes once it warms up it sounds great.

topsites
06-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Kohler owners please note:

The diesel sound of tickety-tick lifters when a Kohler is first started is a normal part of the design of the engine. There is nothing wrong with the valves, fact is they adjust themselves with oil pressure which, if the engine has been sitting for some time, the oil will have drained out of the valves, hence causing excessive ticking which sounds as bad as an engine that has no oil.

Even if the engine only sat overnight, or it was shut off just 15-20 minutes ago, it may tick some on start.
But on a Kohler, this is normal!

The sound should quiet down some within a few minutes and it should disappear completely within 15-20 or 30 minutes.

Switching to a synthetic oil (blend or full) is highly recommended, no high performance engine should ever run on anything else.

tomo
06-23-2006, 07:23 AM

The diesel sound of tickety-tick lifters when a Kohler is first started is a normal part of the design of the engine. There is nothing wrong with the valves, fact is they adjust themselves with oil pressure which, if the engine has been sitting for some time, the oil will have drained out of the valves, hence causing excessive ticking which sounds as bad as an engine that has no oil.

Even if the engine only sat overnight, or it was shut off just 15-20 minutes ago, it may tick some on start.

The sound should quiet down some within a few minutes and it should disappear completely within 15-20 or 30 minutes.

Switching to a synthetic oil (blend or full) is highly recommended, no high performance engine should ever run on anything else.
hello,never had, never will have a problem with valve train ticking. It will either be oil supply issue or lifter/camshat problem and rarely be sticking valve, rocker &or mount.Kohler apparently has a mod kit? 4 the vert 25Comm/pro and oil galleries mod on a particular eng blocks from ????date onwards. There are updated lifters. I have never had a problem with the horzontal versions. OEM will do any thing possible to rectify these probs, it is not restricted to small engines!!!!![newer eng] In most cases in older eng valve train noise of the ticking variety is caused by an engine fault some where. You would assume i learnt some thing after 20 years mech exp. tomo

clay duncan
06-23-2006, 09:33 PM
mobil one 10w-30 solved my ticking lifter problem. my 20 hp kohler would make that ticking lifter noise when the motor got hot or stressed out climbing a steep hill....give it a try....

Jason Rose
06-23-2006, 10:31 PM

You are exactly right. I had one 22 hp Vert shaft that did the same thing, still does and it's 8 years old and has over 2,000 hours on it. THe one I had after that only would do it once in a very great while and my new 25hp does not do it at all ever. It was mainly a problem some 5 years back, since then I'm sure they have addressed the issue. There are many posts on here from a few years ago and most concured that it was just a noise and not causing any internal damage, you could spend the $$ to fix it but it wouldn't help your engine any.

Can't believe the number of people saying just use 30 weight or 10-40 in a kohler... Obviously NOT kohler owners. Use 10w30 ONLY, unless you are operating in extreme cold then you can go with a lighter weight.

I too have used the Kohler oil a time or 2, it IS about as clear as water! Funny how some brands of oil are nearly clear and others look dark brown, yet has nothing to do with the price of the oil, even mobile 1 is very dark... Just wonder why the Kohler oil is so clear? Is it just super pure, or do they bleach it :p

tomo
06-24-2006, 01:40 AM
hello, oil viscosity is relevant to ambient temp & oil 10w-40 is fine in a hot climateAS PER KOHLER MANUAL AND OIL MAKERS CHARTS 10w is for start up condition 40w refers to oil at basically at operating temp with relevant ambient , put simply . Yes kohler have said it is ok in my operating conditions . Lifters that tick after one week down time ,partially acceptable, but at every operation will gradually cause surfaces on cams and lifters, valve train to degenerate quicker than is acceptable. Die a slow death. Not to mention the extra metal floating around in the oil.You may say v/train noise is acceptable in kohler eng but obviously kohler and other eng makers do not think so asper there effort to rectify problem.At the end of the day kohler has the experience---some people are not experienced at all. Engine wear & damage is your decision.How far are u prepared to go to limit this???????? TOMO PS synthetic oil may or may not work but ITIS NOT A MAGIC WAND it can cover up problems well.

General Grounds
06-24-2006, 10:45 PM
:) i use lucas oil treatment in my oil (about 8oz.) with each oil change, and i put a shot glass of marvels in my fuel. have some motors with 3000+ hours on them. tony

Grasman
06-25-2006, 01:33 AM
I have a 25hp Kohler in a Grasshopper that had the ticking. Years ago I was told to use the Kohler brand 10-30 oil and it stopped the ticking. I now buy the Kohler oil by the case and it is the only oil I use in my 26 and 28 hp Kohler fuel injected Exmarks. I have never had any noise with my 26's & 28's.
I like it being clear, when it starts to get black is when I change oil and filters.

John Gamba
06-25-2006, 05:59 AM

Get two Quarts of Red Line syn oil 1030, that stops the banging you are hearing