PDA

View Full Version : Is Business slow for anybody?

ALL Around Xteriors
06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm in north NJ, just started this year. I was wondering if anyone else in NJ was having a slow start this year. I know you guys down in florida have had a rough time with the weather and all.. but its been raining like crazy up here. Is anyone else in NJ having any problems with getting accounts?
-Josh

Turfdude
06-20-2006, 09:50 PM
AAX,

We have been fortunately very busy! I placed an announcement on my machine the first week of March that our 2006 mowing schedule was full. I just removed that message a little over a week ago. We are very selective for new accounts. They must sign for full service (spring c-u, lawn maint, lawn care, mulch, prune & fall c-u). Anyhow, I have one more mulch job tomorrow 18 yd residential. We started pruning last week and will continue that probably very aggressively thru August. Our landscape installations have also gone very well. Signing a few more sod jobs and scheduling some work for fall as people are a little leary about planting in the summer heat. I may sign a few more mowing accounts, but have cut back from last year. I did not renew about 30 or so accounts, but replaced w/ 15 or so more profitable, closer accounts. Good luc for the remainder of the season. We signed a lot more fert accounts this year. Now doing well over 200, had about 165-170 last season.

ALL Around Xteriors
06-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Turfdude.. How did you pick up new accounts like that? Word of mouth? advertising? and if so where and in what publications? pm if you dont want to post it. Thanks,

-Josh

Turfdude
06-21-2006, 06:54 AM
AAX,

Were fortunate to be a very established business. We find word of mouth best. We have 5 vehicles that flood a 5 mile radius. Our shop is on a well traveled county road as well. Have not advertised other than very small y.p. ad for convenience in over a year. Too busy to even put out our site signs. Just keep on pluggin at it. Good luck

NNJLandman
06-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Stanhope, I was up that way for a fire dept. wetdown this past wknd.

Im down here in Butler, business has been awesome, get calls just about every day for work. Lost one account yesterday, and immediatly after got a call for two new customers. So it worked out okay, my 2nd customer I lost this year, and only because they sold their houses. Got a buncha new plant installs, some mulch jobs that havta be done yet. Things have been good, I do some advertising on the net and I have a small ad in the services section of a local newspaper that seems to be my biggest bread winner.

JEff