PDA

View Full Version : What should I do about weeds?

TNT Lawncare
06-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Ok. This is my first year doing this full time on my own. I managed to scrape together about 15 accounts grossing about $900 per week working by myself 4 easy days per week. How ever, one or three depending on how you look at it are apartments owned by the same company. For the most part these are crappy apts and really need work on not only the landscaping but the buildings themselves. To start out, I probably undercut the price by about half of what they paid last year but I needed the business. Early in the year when I bid out these places, the property manager asked what I do about weeds. Now in March there were no weeds and every thing looked fine. I said if I saw a couple I would pull them and be done with it. Now the landscaping is more weeds than anything. I have sprayed with several gallons of round up because this manager expected me to pull all these weeds by hand. It would take me and 10 other guys a month to pull these by hand. Should I just keep eating the bill for the round up and next year know better? What would you guys do?

Brian

dcgreenspro
06-20-2006, 11:43 PM
it doesn't sound like you have a pesticide license, so do what you can to make it look good. if i were in your shoes, i would pony up some dough to have one of the lco on this website come spray it for you. Hope everything works out.

naturescape
06-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Better not be putting down Roundup unless you're licensed to do so, which you obviously aren't -- you could be paying large fines for this.

The weeds are in beds/etc? Or the lawn? Cut the lawn HIGH, 3 1/2" or more, that will help there. Otherwise, you'll need to simply explain that the weeds are worse than you thought they would be, and they will need to hire a licensed applicator to take care of them.

Charles
06-21-2006, 08:04 AM
15 accounts grossing 900$ a week?:rolleyes: I can believe the 4 easy days part
Right now weeds is all there is to cut in my area

TNT Lawncare
06-21-2006, 05:46 PM
The apts which I am refering to pay 195 per week, I do 2 other places that take about 4 hours each for 160 each plus few other commercial places and some residentials. $900 a week is right. By the way, I have a pesticides license. That is not the point. The point is do I just keep eating the cost of round up or do I tell her to stick it up her you know what. There were no weeds when we did the contract and there is nothing in the contract about weeds but she expects them to be gone.

One of Three
06-21-2006, 06:29 PM
There were no weeds when we did the contract and there is nothing in the contract about weeds but she expects them to be gone.

Ehh..."Point. Counterpoint." The weeds were there, you just didn't see them. It sounds like this client was well aware that there was a weed problem. I think that since it sounded like weeds weren't going to be a big deal to begin with, but now they are, you should definately confront the client. Just tell them straight up what has happened. From the way I see it, if you tell them the story like you did here, they would be willing to work something out, whether it's paying for the service or getting rid of that service. I doubt they will go elsewhere, seeing how they're getting half off their normal rate. Good luck!

David Haggerty
06-21-2006, 07:06 PM
By the way, I have a pesticides license. That is not the point.

Come on, are you killing weeds in the lawn with Roundup? We want to see it. Is it like the Ortho commercial with little spots everywhere? Post us a pic, pleease..:dancing: :dancing:

BTW when I took my classes for pesticide licensing they drilled it into me about weed identification, which pesticides to use and on and on. Had over 90% eradication on the first application. It'll be tough to sell weed control for next year. There aren't any! Kind of the opposite of your problem.
Indiana must have a lot more lax testing requirements.

USDA doesn't screw around with licensing. Get a license, get a professional or get fined.

wherebluegrassgrows
06-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Bill her for the roundup and your time. If there was no prior agreement to clean beds they are not your problem. I hope you have a contract for your services.

TNT Lawncare
06-21-2006, 10:32 PM
The weeds are not in the grass. They are in "landscaped areas" where mulch would be only instead of mulch there is rock a bit bigger than pea gravel.

TNT Lawncare
06-21-2006, 10:33 PM
BTW, I do have a contract for my mowing.

dcgreenspro
06-21-2006, 10:38 PM
if you have a contract and a pest. license, why didn't you include it in your bid? If you have a license, why are you spraying round-up? Why are you even asking this question, you should know what to do..

topsites
06-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Sir, the best I can recommend is take some money to get down on the cost of round-up, this is a situation where it takes money to make money but I will not feed you bs, this is what I do:

- Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a 2.5 gallon deck and patio sprayer. I believe Home Depot no longer carries these so if that is the case then get a 2-gallon sprayer. Price-wise, get the one that costs about 20 dollars. Yes, the pump ones with the nozzle that come in a box and you assemble them and fill them, etc, etc... Sprayers, handheld sprayers, get at least a 2-gallon one, the 1-gallon ones will frustrate you over time, you can save yourself this mistake but if you must get a 1-gallon fine but get the 2-gall.
- Next, right down the same aisle of Weed control products there should exist a 1-gallon bottle of Super-Concentrated Round up. This is the toughest round up in the world and with round-up, the more you buy the cheaper it gets. It comes in a white bottle with purple letters and says Super Concentrated Round-up and costs just over 100 dollars (ouch, but check it out:
- Next, stop by the dollars store or big lots or some place you can buy this and get a measuring cup that measures in liquid Ounces.
- You could also buy a 5-gallon fuel container, I recommend either diesel (yellow) or blue (kerosene) so that it is not red and you will NOT confuse it with your fuel cans. You will use this 5-gallon fuel container to mix round-up in. In a pinch, I used empty 1-gallon bottles of antifreeze flushed out or whatever you can find, but the 5-gallon 'tainer rules.
- You should be out of 130 or so dollars, check it out:
- Take all of this home, and get ready to have some fun:
- You want to do this outside, some pipes at home if round-up goes down the drain, the resulting smell will make people sick!
- Measure out 1.25 ounces of Round-up per gallon of water, so fill your Liquid Ounce measuring cup with about 7 ounces of Round up and set it aside careful don't bump it. Do NOT put this in the fuel container yet or it will foam when you add water.
- Fill the fuel container to about the 4 to 4 1/2 gallon mark, slightly less than full.
- Add the 7 ounces of superconc to that, and finish filling. Seal the bottle with the nozzle and cap it. Now, grab it with both hands and shake it up good (yes it is heavy, just shake it best you can, one time real good does it, it stays mixed forever).
- Now, assemble your sprayer. Use the fuel-can's pre-mixed solution to fill it, and you are ready to go, 2 gallons should last all day and:
- You get ALMOST 100 gallons of solution out of that bottle of superconc, that's like $1.25 a gallon (cheap, isn't it?)
- That gallon of superconc will easily last you the rest of the year, probably some ways into next. I bought 3 gallons of that stuff early last year, I'm on my 2nd one now.

Yup, yup, yup.
Couple of other things:
Put the fuel container of solution someplace dark and cool, like under the house.
Get a black magic marker and write ROUND UP on this container also.
When you run low in your sprayer, remember to fill it back up when you get home in the evening.
The reason you leave the 5-gallon reserve at home is so you never use more than 2 gallons / day - This is called a budget, if you run out, you run out, it will happen but 2 gallons / day is a LOT of round up and controls every weed on your base within 30 days.
Have fun!

TNT Lawncare
06-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Actually, I do have a sprayer and buy the concentrate. I started by asking all you guys what you would do since this is my first year on my own. Obviously everyone does things differently and I just wanted some ideas. Thanks for your help everyone.

howardsells2000
06-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Sir, the best I can recommend is take some money to get down on the cost of round-up, this is a situation where it takes money to make money but I will not feed you bs, this is what I do:

- Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a 2.5 gallon deck and patio sprayer. I believe Home Depot no longer carries these so if that is the case then get a 2-gallon sprayer. Price-wise, get the one that costs about 20 dollars. Yes, the pump ones with the nozzle that come in a box and you assemble them and fill them, etc, etc... Sprayers, handheld sprayers, get at least a 2-gallon one, the 1-gallon ones will frustrate you over time, you can save yourself this mistake but if you must get a 1-gallon fine but get the 2-gall.
- Next, right down the same aisle of Weed control products there should exist a 1-gallon bottle of Super-Concentrated Round up. This is the toughest round up in the world and with round-up, the more you buy the cheaper it gets. It comes in a white bottle with purple letters and says Super Concentrated Round-up and costs just over 100 dollars (ouch, but check it out:
- Next, stop by the dollars store or big lots or some place you can buy this and get a measuring cup that measures in liquid Ounces.
- You could also buy a 5-gallon fuel container, I recommend either diesel (yellow) or blue (kerosene) so that it is not red and you will NOT confuse it with your fuel cans. You will use this 5-gallon fuel container to mix round-up in. In a pinch, I used empty 1-gallon bottles of antifreeze flushed out or whatever you can find, but the 5-gallon 'tainer rules.
- You should be out of 130 or so dollars, check it out:
- Take all of this home, and get ready to have some fun:
- You want to do this outside, some pipes at home if round-up goes down the drain, the resulting smell will make people sick!
- Measure out 1.25 ounces of Round-up per gallon of water, so fill your Liquid Ounce measuring cup with about 7 ounces of Round up and set it aside careful don't bump it. Do NOT put this in the fuel container yet or it will foam when you add water.
- Fill the fuel container to about the 4 to 4 1/2 gallon mark, slightly less than full.
- Add the 7 ounces of superconc to that, and finish filling. Seal the bottle with the nozzle and cap it. Now, grab it with both hands and shake it up good (yes it is heavy, just shake it best you can, one time real good does it, it stays mixed forever).
- Now, assemble your sprayer. Use the fuel-can's pre-mixed solution to fill it, and you are ready to go, 2 gallons should last all day and:
- You get ALMOST 100 gallons of solution out of that bottle of superconc, that's like $1.25 a gallon (cheap, isn't it?)
- That gallon of superconc will easily last you the rest of the year, probably some ways into next. I bought 3 gallons of that stuff early last year, I'm on my 2nd one now.

Yup, yup, yup.
Couple of other things:
Put the fuel container of solution someplace dark and cool, like under the house.
Get a black magic marker and write ROUND UP on this container also.
When you run low in your sprayer, remember to fill it back up when you get home in the evening.
The reason you leave the 5-gallon reserve at home is so you never use more than 2 gallons / day - This is called a budget, if you run out, you run out, it will happen but 2 gallons / day is a LOT of round up and controls every weed on your base within 30 days.
Have fun!
Great answer and simple explanation. I learned something. Thanks

I wish everyone on here responded like that, rather than coming down on the guy for asking a question.