PDA

View Full Version : Hustler's Fusion Blades at 26hrs

TLS
06-20-2006, 11:05 PM
I now have 26 hrs on my new SuperZ 28/60 with the XR-7 deck and FUSION blades.

I wanted to see how long these blades lasted prior to sharpening.

For those who know me, I'm a blade freak. Always sharpening, always tweaking and fiddling around with things. :rolleyes:

At 5hrs I was changing the oil and took a look at their condition. They were great and sharp as can be. Same at 10, 15, and 20hrs. I decided to remove them tonite and touch them up and balance them.

They definately NEEDED to be balanced. Two were off by quite a bit, and I'm sure that will take out that slight vibration I've had since new.

Anyway,....no major nicks or gouges in the blades at all. And I have hit a few things with them. With being a new mower, it took a little learning curve to get a feel for "floating" the deck around and over things.

Here is a picture of the condition of the deck after 26 hrs. It has not been scraped yet since I bought it. Not bad for a week plus of mowing.

TLS
06-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Here is a picture of the blades after cleaning but prior to sharpening.

I wish I would have got a better/closer shot.

Oh well.

TLS
06-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Here you can kinda see the FUSION coating on the underside of the blades.

TLS
06-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Here they are all cleaned sharpened and balanced.....

Ready to MOW! :eek:

dvmcmrhp52
06-20-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm surprised to see unnotched foils on those blades.........
What is the depth of the deck on your Hustler?
I was just playing with some unnotched high lift blades again on a 5" deep deck and it just didn't do as well as the notched foils............

We've got some poor cutting conditions right now so I'm just once again playing the blade game.................

TLS
06-20-2006, 11:14 PM
This is the BAFFLE fix for the cut problem.

Cuts like a hot knife through butta now! :clapping:

TLS
06-20-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm surprised to see unnotched foils on those blades.........
What is the depth of the deck on your Hustler?

The XR-7 is just about 6" deep. Think it may be 5-7/8" depending on how you measure.

I was just playing with some unnotched high lift blades again on a 5" deep deck and it just didn't do as well as the notched foils............

We've got some poor cutting conditions right now so I'm just once again playing the blade game.................

These lift wings are pretty steep and wide. Much more so than a notched foil.
I'd be afraid of blade bending with the notch in there. One of these days I'll throw a set of eXmark Excalibur notched foils on there to see how it does.

Here is a pic of the mower itself.

mx495
06-20-2006, 11:27 PM
I put on a set of Gator Blades and they didn't cut near as good as the Fusion blades, especially in thick grass.

Grass Man
06-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Here is a picture of the blades after cleaning but prior to sharpening.

Oh well.

... I must say that looks pretty good for 60 hours :).

TLS
06-20-2006, 11:29 PM
I put on a set of Gator Blades and they didn't cut near as good as the Fusion blades, especially in thick grass.

Gators are only good for leaf season IMO.

TLS
06-20-2006, 11:30 PM
... I must say that looks pretty good for 60 hours :).

Did I say 60hrs? :confused:

They have 26hrs on them.

I usually only get a few days out of a set.

imograss
06-20-2006, 11:35 PM
I have used the Exmark notched blades on my 27/60 Super Z XR7. I like the fusions alot better, while they do a nice job, the fusions seem to have more lift and longer discharge patterns.

Howie's Lawn Care
06-20-2006, 11:37 PM
:usflag: Americans Stand United :usflag:

dvmcmrhp52
06-20-2006, 11:37 PM
The XR-7 is just about 6" deep. Think it may be 5-7/8" depending on how you measure.

These lift wings are pretty steep and wide. Much more so than a notched foil.
I'd be afraid of blade bending with the notch in there. One of these days I'll throw a set of eXmark Excalibur notched foils on there to see how it does.

Here is a pic of the mower itself.

So it's just about a the same depth as the new triton...........
Good to know..........

I believe the new 6" deep decks are all using higher lift blades, maybe notched foils are no longer an option with these decks.........

The search for perfection continues...........:laugh:

Thanks.

dvmcmrhp52
06-20-2006, 11:40 PM
It seems as though the leading edge of the deck is up higher than the rest of the deck.................is this the case or is it just because of the picture?

T-Trim
06-20-2006, 11:42 PM
IMO discharge is in the deck design. Not in blades. Blades do help ,but the deck is the key part in the discharge.

TLS
06-20-2006, 11:46 PM
It seems as though the leading edge of the deck is up higher than the rest of the deck.................is this the case or is it just because of the picture?

Yes, you are correct, the leading edge is about an inch or so higher than the back. This allows a cleaner cut of long grass/weeds.

It gets 99% of the Buckhorn Plantain, where as my eXmark Ultra-Cut only got maybe 50% of those stalks.

Here is another pic which shows the side a bit more.

TLS
06-20-2006, 11:48 PM
The front leading edge skirt is just about at blade cut level.

Maybe this shows it more?

dvmcmrhp52
06-20-2006, 11:53 PM
How is the blowout with the raised leading edge and the seemingly higher lift blades?
The raised leading edge makes sense for some reasons but not others..........
interesting pics and posts, keep it up.

Thanks.

imograss
06-20-2006, 11:54 PM
I can definately tell that the fusions cut finer and discharge better than the notched high lifts.

dvmcmrhp52
06-20-2006, 11:54 PM
The front leading edge skirt is just about at blade cut level.

Maybe this shows it more?

Yup, it shows it well and helps with the understanding of their idea..............
Good pics.

TLS
06-20-2006, 11:58 PM
How is the blowout with the raised leading edge and the seemingly higher lift blades?
The raised leading edge makes sense for some reasons but not others..........
interesting pics and posts, keep it up.

Thanks.

The front baffle has air control L shaped brackets attached to it. This stops all blowout. I had more grass on my Ultra-Cut than I do with the XR-7

Palmer'sLS
06-21-2006, 12:00 AM
hey tls.....if you throw some armour-all on the tires and tanks....that unit would be so much nicer....i do it religiously every night after i get home to my mini-z....and all i can say is that these are some tuff lookin mowers!!!:clapping: :weightlifter:
your probably so busy mowin you dont have time like i do....since there is no rain here....im bored all day :cry:

TLS
06-21-2006, 12:03 AM
hey tls.....if you throw some armour-all on the tires and tanks....that unit would be so much nicer....i do it religiously every night after i get home to my min-z.

Armor-All does nothing but attract dust and dirt.

My equipment gets blown off throughout the day and a final good one each night. They get hand washed about once a month, unless I find mud or a septic system! :laugh:

Audrey
06-21-2006, 12:04 AM

Oh well.

On your camera (Kodak DX4900), you have what's called Macro mode. It's indicated by a little flower icon. Switch it over to that next time you need to get a closeup. On yours, it will let you get as close as 7cm (about 3 inches) to your subject and still be able to obtain focus. ***{With enough light}***

If you just got done wrenching or working on something, 1/30 sec may be a little hard to handhold. Switch over to macro and steady your arms against the floor in this case. Grab a shoplight for the subject and get in there as close as you want. The camera will do what you want it to.
Another tip: on a point and shoot, when needing a very close shot, try to zoom all the way out (back in) and move the camera closer to the subject. This will give you a smaller aperture and thus give you a larger depth of field.

In English: More stuff will be in focus.

Excellent post by the way! :)

A

TLS
06-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the tips Audrey. Your quite the shutterbug!

dvmcmrhp52
06-21-2006, 12:10 AM
The front baffle has air control L shaped brackets attached to it. This stops all blowout. I had more grass on my Ultra-Cut than I do with the XR-7

If I'm getting this straight in my mind, and I believe I am, my guess is that you've got some pretty good vacuum and a good clean cut with that deck with the raised front edge and the rear of the deck shrouding the blades.

Hustler seems to have done their homework and at the same time had to deal with the same turbulence issues that the triton is currently going through............They've solved them, let's see how Exmark does.........

I do like the design of Hustlers new deck. Good engineering.
I can understand your switch to a new color..........:laugh:

Thanks again for the pics.
Good thread.

TLS
06-21-2006, 12:13 AM
If I'm getting this straight in my mind, and I believe I am, my guess is that you've got some pretty good vacuum and a good clean cut with that deck with the raised front edge and the rear of the deck shrouding the blades.

Hustler seems to have done their homework and at the same time had to deal with the same turbulence issues that the triton is currently going through............They've solved them, let's see how Exmark does.........

I do like the design of Hustlers new deck. Good engineering.
I can understand your switch to a new color..........:laugh:

Thanks again for the pics.
Good thread.

Yeah, eXmark's front baffle throwing grass into the next spindle housing turned me right off the minute I saw a preliminary picture on LS.

The XR-7 has a straight across front baffle.

TLS
06-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Here is one from "under the hood"

Imow4u2
06-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Maybe I need glasses, but I think that's a super Z..:cool2: No need for the SMV emblem with all that Transport Speed!!

I'm taking delivery of a Super/E.F.I./66 the First of July, can't wait!!!

TLS
06-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Yeah, it really cooks when needed!

I mow near a lot of roadsides.

That SMV emblem has been on 4 mowers now! Dates back to the early 90's when I had it on the JD F-935!