PDA

View Full Version : Voltage

ChadsLawn
06-21-2006, 12:10 AM
whats the voltage supposed to be at the battery while its running? Mine shows 12.44 with PTO off
kees 52" 22hp kohler

Restrorob
06-21-2006, 08:03 AM
Most batteries will hold 12.50 volts with the engine off, Sounds like you have a charging system problem. You can go here; http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp click on enter as guest and down load a pdf service manual with all the test procedures.

Jman
06-21-2006, 09:44 AM
With the engine running full throttle the voltage should be 13.5-14.7 volts on the battery. It should maintain that voltage with all electrical loads turned on as well.

Jim@MilkyWay
06-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Why do you ask?
Does your starter sound sluggish or do you hear other abnormal sounds? 12.4 Vdc is certainly on the low side for a normal charging system, but you may or may not have a problem. If this voltage will maintain over extended periods, like months and not gradually drop off, then IMO you should be ok. A good place to start is to check the battery voltage, at the battery posts, under load. Have a friend hold the V-meter on the posts and watch it (the meter, not the battery) as you turn the starter. You may even want to pull the plug wires, but _not_ the plugs so it won't start, as your interest is to see what the voltage does. Check it several times throughout a regular day when the mower is being used a substantial amount. Let us know what you observe.

ChadsLawn
06-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Most batteries will hold 12.50 volts with the engine off, Sounds like you have a charging system problem. You can go here; http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp click on enter as guest and down load a pdf service manual with all the test procedures.
I did the testing on the regulator plug.. there are 3 wires 2 white and 1 purple.. The purple has voltage(which is coming from the battery) The 2 white wires have no voltage at all(which is coming from the stator.So I think my stator is bad. Would you agree Restrorob?

Restrorob
06-21-2006, 06:42 PM
If you performed the test as described on page 8.16 and got a reading of less than 28 volts AC across the two white wires at 3600 rpm I would say the stator is bad. But I have seen the magnets come un-glued from the flywheel and wipe the stator out also. So when removing a Kohler flywheel always use a puller of some kind (steering wheel) and don't strike the crankshaft with a hammer to pop it loose, If the magnets are not broke loose the shock from striking the end of the shaft could break them loose.

ChadsLawn
06-21-2006, 07:04 PM
ok so tonight Ill take the motor off and check the stator..its only $50 so thats not too bad.. Thanks for the help

ChadsLawn
07-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I put a new stator on, set the DMM to 200v and still nothing(0.00) I know its not charging because after a couple mowing's, the battery is low on charge. I know its not the battery because Ive used 2 diff batteries and both hold a charge from the charger.

I took my flywheel to a local shop and the Mech. said that the flywheel was in good condition. All magnets were in place and in good condition.
So what else could be my problem?

Restrorob
07-10-2006, 01:00 PM
If you have battery voltage 12.5 going to the purple wire on the voltage regulator that would be the only thing left to replace. I have not found a test procedure for the regulator other than one with a special tester from Kohler.

If your unit has a electric PTO clutch are you running it at wide open throttle ?
These clutches draw a lot of voltage and could drain a battery if ran 3/4 or less rpm.

ChadsLawn
07-10-2006, 01:21 PM
yes always 3/4 or higher on the PTO... If I unplug the plug on the regulator, the 2 white wires have 0 volts. But the purple wire will have whatever volts the battery has correct? I also did the ohms test on the 2 white wires coming from the stator and they were at .3 ohms. according to the tests on the pdf file, my stator is ok.But yet it doesnt read any volts?

ChadsLawn
07-10-2006, 01:33 PM
where in Fla are you located?

ChadsLawn
07-10-2006, 01:59 PM
ok I just called a shop and I was testing the stator wrong. The stator is putting out about 45volts which is good. after plugging it back in the purple wire starts off at around 15volts then gradually falls to 12,9 to 13 volts So Im going to assume that my regulator was the parts that was bad, not my stator at all.

Restrorob
07-10-2006, 02:58 PM
This is why I posted the link to the pdf, Sometimes info. gets dropped in the translation. Check the voltage on the purple wire with the engine off and unplugged from the regulator. Check charging system output at the battery while at full throttle. With a fully charged good battery is should be somewhere between 13.6 and 14.7 .

I'm in Old Town, Thats on the west coast across from Gainesville.

ChadsLawn
07-10-2006, 03:01 PM
ok thanks I will check that in a few

thecrankshaft
07-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Make sure the rectifier-regulator has a good ground. What amp charging system is this?

fixer67
07-10-2006, 10:19 PM
The AC voltage from the stator is measured from WHITE wire to WHITE wire. Not to the frame ground. I just had a man last week try ti check his stator voltage from WHITE wire to frame ground on a Kohler CH25. Frist unplug the regulator just in case it is bad it can short the white wires and cause a miss read. Start engine and run up to full thorttle and check the voltage AC. If you have your DDM set to DC and hook it to a 1000 VAC it will read 0 volts because it is looking for the wrong thing. With the DDM set to AC then check the voltage between the two WHITE wires with the engine at full speed.

FIXDISS
07-10-2006, 10:40 PM
The AC voltage from the stator is measured from WHITE wire to WHITE wire. Not to the frame ground. I just had a man last week try ti check his stator voltage from WHITE wire to frame ground on a Kohler CH25. Frist unplug the regulator just in case it is bad it can short the white wires and cause a miss read. Start engine and run up to full thorttle and check the voltage AC. If you have your DDM set to DC and hook it to a 1000 VAC it will read 0 volts because it is looking for the wrong thing. With the DDM set to AC then check the voltage between the two WHITE wires with the engine at full speed.
BINGO! As I was reading this thread it occurred to me just about the time you responded that the DMM may have been set on DC. Good call ! Sometimes it it easy to forget the stator or alternator is generating AC current. By the way this would be a good time for Rob or Jim @ milkyway to "SPLAIN" amps vs volts.

ChadsLawn
07-11-2006, 01:36 PM
yes my mistake, i had the DMM on the wrong setting. After using thr correct seting on the DMM. The stator is fine. But still not charging. Im taking to regulator to a shop so they can test it. They have ordered a new 1 $45 just in case mine is bad.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-11-2006, 04:27 PM
BINGO! As I was reading this thread it occurred to me just about the time you responded that the DMM may have been set on DC. Good call ! Sometimes it it easy to forget the stator or alternator is generating AC current. By the way this would be a good time for Rob or Jim @ milkyway to "SPLAIN" amps vs volts.Sorry guys
I've not been replying much lately. Spending all my time looking for a new job. Long story (nearly two years long, and counting). Will splain later.
In a nut shell, you must _NEVER_ put your meter in current (amps) mode until and unless you know what you are doing. You WILL toast it, and yourself!
You can always measure the voltage drop across _any_ two points in voltage mode and will not "hurt" anything. You will get confusing info if the meter is set for ac and you are "supposed to" measure, that is, you want to know the dc voltage, and vicerer/verserer. You will become more familiar with your meter the more you use it. Soooo,,,, go play around with it just to familiarize yourself and get back to me if doubts arise.
STAY away from current scales. When you understand voltage mode operation, then get yourself some AAA, some AA, some C, and D cell batteries, and a good light bulb, and a blown one. Then, read your DMM owners manual and, _using only these batteries_, play around with your current and continuity scales. next, E me, and I will only then, give you some ideas to rock your world!!