PDA

View Full Version : Throwing away bungie cords due to an accident

Mico Landscaping design
06-21-2006, 12:00 AM
just letting everyone here know be careful with bungee... my dad was typing down a load of mulch and had a bungee cord snap and shatter his eye right out.. doctors say no vison is there ... so basically we have thrown out every bungee cord around our place.. please be careful with them... its his 3rd accident in 10 years and hes been using them for 25 years.. one little slip and its done! i would hate to hear from anyone else on here bout this so i am passing on this.... see ya guys later..:waving:

Lynden-Jeff
06-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Damn I use bungee cords for everything. I know how dangers they can be and I'm usually pretty careful but I agree its best to use rope! Hope your dad recovers well.

Cheers
Jeff

Sandgropher
06-21-2006, 12:22 AM
In aussie a kid that was collecting shopping trolleys , puts one on end to hold them all in place... not sure what happened but hit him in neck and died...have been banned from all shopping centers now...oh and lost one eye is all to common i'm afraid, hear of it regaurly (best wishes to your father):drinkup:

sheshovel
06-21-2006, 02:00 AM
Gosh that's terrible news, I am so sorry to hear of your fathers accident. I wish him well and hope he is feeling ok.

Tharrell
06-21-2006, 05:22 AM
That's terrible news about your dad. Sorry to hear it. I've often thought about that happening though.

dfor
06-21-2006, 06:07 AM
I sure hope your dad gets his vision back somehow. Thanks for the warning. I use them for alot of stuff.

MarcSmith
06-21-2006, 06:36 AM
http://www.scif.com/safety/losscontrol/Article.asp?ArticleID=295

You make a very valid point.

Bungee cords are not designed to carry a load....But on many occasion I see people (landscapers too) using bungees to secure cargo. Ive seen people use them to with a a tarp to secure debris that is heaped up over the sides of the bed of the truck (rather than using ratchet straps, ropes, or put sided on the truck). Ive seen people use them to strap mattress to the roof of their car and then drive down the highway....

And there is no easy way to tell when a bungee will fail....

Its one thing to use a bungee to snug up a tarp to keep it taught. or to use it to help keep trimmer or gass can from moving around... Its quite a nother to use it as your sole method for securing cargo.

(BTW I am not saying that you where using the bungee to secure your load as we don't know I am only making some points)

The Manager who runs the garage here at GU lost his eye in a grinding accident. No glasses.....but now a glass eye...

ranger351w
06-21-2006, 06:52 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad . Must be terrible. That is the reason I never do anything without safety glasses. I never had a bungee cord break but often thought they would hurt you if they did. I sure hope the Dr's. are wrong.
Best

A.S.D.S. Mowing

Charles
06-21-2006, 06:57 AM
I use those black thick rubber bungees mainly to hold the gas tanks. They have no recoil. Flat bed truck drivers use them.

MarcSmith
06-21-2006, 07:15 AM
Flat bed truck drivers use them. But only to secure thier tarps.....I think the black rubber one are the best, at least when they start getting old or if they get nicked or damaged it is easier to see.

Charles
06-21-2006, 07:17 AM
yea, I don't use them to secure equipment. They work fine with gas tanks. I use straps for the mowers and tractors

Budget
06-21-2006, 07:31 AM
^^^^ Dtto, i do the same just for small gas cans. Use good strapps for equipment and what not. Sorry to hear about your dad, i my self have made a few tripps to the eye doctor for metal pieces in the eye, yes i had both eyes drilled to remove the pices man did that hurt and it not like you can shut your eyes you see it all and it feels weird and also hurts a whole lot. But i still can see normal.

Mico Landscaping design
06-21-2006, 08:35 AM
http://www.scif.com/safety/losscontrol/Article.asp?ArticleID=295

You make a very valid point.

Bungee cords are not designed to carry a load....But on many occasion I see people (landscapers too) using bungees to secure cargo. Ive seen people use them to with a a tarp to secure debris that is heaped up over the sides of the bed of the truck (rather than using ratchet straps, ropes, or put sided on the truck). Ive seen people use them to strap mattress to the roof of their car and then drive down the highway....

And there is no easy way to tell when a bungee will fail....

Its one thing to use a bungee to snug up a tarp to keep it taught. or to use it to help keep trimmer or gass can from moving around... Its quite a nother to use it as your sole method for securing cargo.

(BTW I am not saying that you where using the bungee to secure your load as we don't know I am only making some points)

The Manager who runs the garage here at GU lost his eye in a grinding accident. No glasses.....but now a glass eye...

ya he had the main tarp thats on the roll out one but he was securing it with another air tarp... he said it hit him so fast he thought some one hit him and he came up swinging.. sad thing is he wanted to go home and take motrin and go finish the job.. one of the employees was down the road and had to threaten him to dot the other eye if he did not go to the hospital.. i am thinking and hoping that right now he can see light and few colors .. in 2 weeks they are ganna reset the cornea ( how ever u spell it) so i am hoping . i am just glad to see him out and talking big relief.... after 6 hours of surgery.,. he said dam that sucked for 50 delivery charge pretty exspensive... thanks for all your thoughts and hoping its fixable... see ya guys

LwnmwrMan22
06-21-2006, 09:34 AM
I was moving my wife and I out of our apartment and into our home. Put the mattress along the side of the trailer and was going to bungee it to the side so it would stay up.

The cord slipped, caught me right below the my bottom lip.

I ended up with 5 stiches on the outside, 6 stiches on the inside.

It went right through, there was a dime sized hole in my mouth.

topsites
06-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Yup, I started out with ratcheting straps but due to cost, when I found bungee cords I thought I was in heaven. But I used to hold my striper kit with it and the cords kept failing because the kit is heavy and one day it failed and the hook hit the trailer wall with a BANG and I got to thinking... You know, if that stupid thing had snapped wrong, that hook can take a chunk of flesh out.

Ever since that, I use only ratchet straps.

For the tarp, now you need about a dozen each side, but I find the 2" steel spring clamps are far faster than rope:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1647018227.1150897240@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgdaddidllfklhcgelceffdfgidgin.0&MID=9876
They used to be 99 cents, but anyway I just clamp the tarp to the sides of the trailer with a bunch of those, looks very professional:
As for time / speed, once you get it down, it's clip-clip, clip, clip... clip... and you're done.
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/DCFN0024.JPG

MarcSmith
06-21-2006, 10:03 AM
they do sell those steel clamps in a plastic variety which wont rust....My neighbor uses them to keep his boat cover snug....

AlleganyLawnCare
06-21-2006, 02:05 PM
One day I was taking one of my tractors off of one my trailers. It has a bungee cord attached so, that the leaf bagger system doesn't blow up in the wind as your driving. As I drove off the trailer, I felt this sudden severe pain in my back. Felt like I was shot. It was the bungee cord, I forgot to remove it, before driving the tractor. Never will do that again!

One of Three
06-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah...we use those black rubber bungee straps. They work great and are real strong. Sometimes that's the problem. We had one that was somehow hanging off the trailer and I think it must've gotten caught on the tire. Well it came back towards the truck and put a damn hole in the bumper! We try to limit our use on them now. Lessons seem to always be learned the hard way.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
06-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad!! We always wear safety glasses. Anything can happen though.