PDA

View Full Version : Blade sharpening/balancing help

smcunningham
06-21-2006, 01:49 AM
I use to have my local dealer do it for 4.25 a blade. About 15.00 a mower.
Trying to save so I do myself now.....Have a dewalt angle grinder/bench vice. Just got a blade balencer(the kind you set the blade on top of and it teeters heavy one end or other) Should I use a wire brush on the blade to clean build up or a wire wheel on my drill or neither???? I've sharpened them twice so far but they don't look as good as I get them back from my dealer. I know time makes perfect..but tips / suggestions I would be greatly thankfull...........

ps. I'm sorta new to ls made a few posts...but not many questions because most of mine have been asked aready and I've read and learned....
ls is the best lawncare site hands down due to its members.
thanks to all members:clapping:

Audrey
06-21-2006, 02:12 AM
I would clean them. Anything foreign can add to a miscalculation by a balancer. The gunk is usually applied evenly, but I like everything clean anyway.
I'm anal, what can I say? :laugh:

I like to use a wire wheel on a bench grinder. I have a grinder mounted on a seperate stand with the tool rest rmoved (not safe). I can get everywhere on regular and Gator blades.

I also used to take my blades to a dealer. He was $3. Now, he's $4.50. That's my que...
I literally just ordered a Magna-Matic balancer. It's now time to do my own.

Yes! This is an excellent site! The people here have taught me many valuble things. I'm greatful I found it. :)

A

smcunningham
06-21-2006, 02:24 AM
thanks for the reply Audrey ......where at in PA you from...what town/county

Littleriver1
06-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Saok them in a bucket of water over night and all that crap will almost fall off.

Oldtimer
06-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Sharpen the light end first.

Oldtimer

ProStreetCamaro
06-21-2006, 12:43 PM
thanks for the reply Audrey ......where at in PA you from...what town/county

:waving: Heya neighbor!! I live in gaithersburg MD and go bowling once in a while in taneytown (spelling?)

I notice you said in your sig you want a scag? Please for the love of god dont buy a scag if you care about the cut quality!!!