PDA

View Full Version : Say No to mowing chemlawns?

Big M LawnnSnow
06-21-2006, 05:26 AM
Here in my area there are quite a few lcos that will not mow chemlawn treated properties.
They say the lawns on those props clog up the mowers.
and increase the wear and tear on their mowers.
Does anyone have these or other problems with chemlawn treated lawns?
Or are these lcos just nuts?

rodfather
06-21-2006, 07:05 AM
We refuse to mow lawns that they service .

Brendan Smith
06-21-2006, 10:13 AM
there is no local chemlawn that i am aware of around here, years ago i saw a tg truck, but not lately. i would, but the pay would have to be right and they would have to understand that i wouldn't accept responsibility for any dead spots, etc.

olderthandirt
06-21-2006, 10:16 AM
As long as I can mow when I feel it was necessary I have no trouble with mowing CL/TG lawn.
Twice a week to mow off some sparse top growth is OK by me

topsites
06-21-2006, 10:56 AM
I've never had this irrational problem with chemlawn.

DLCS
06-21-2006, 11:03 AM
As long as I can mow when I feel it was necessary I have no trouble with mowing CL/TG lawn.
Twice a week to mow off some sparse top growth is OK by me

Yep thats the way i do it. I have a few TG lawns that I mow twice a week to keep them from getting out of hand. payup I tell them twice a week or use someone other than TG.

ozd12005
06-21-2006, 11:06 AM
last year true/chem started doing lawn cutting in my area, only seeing one truck and trailer so far in my area I'm sure a fleet of them isn't far behind

Stretch
06-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Exactly....twice a week! friday,tuesday,friday,tuesday. BEWARE, chemlawn will try to blame a lawn problem on the LCO

DynaMow
06-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Exactly....twice a week! friday,tuesday,friday,tuesday. BEWARE, chemlawn will try to blame a lawn problem on the LCO
stretch where you located, oh yeah and welcome.

Stretch
06-21-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm in Lorain getting rained on:clapping:

Envy Lawn Service
06-21-2006, 12:31 PM

Well, I never had a real strong opinion on this before....

But after spending some time where these chain squirt companies are prevailant....

I would have to say yes, absolutely, I WOULD REFUSE to service a lawn they squirt.

In my mind, this company is for homeowners that mow their own grass to hire for fert/squirt.
Like hiring a chain structural pest company, only for the lawn.

I'd probably tell people that too.

I understand some LCO's might not mind it, or may not even be interested in the fert/squirt... totally understand. BUT I personally just do not need that level of potential problems.

olderthandirt
06-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Well, I never had a real strong opinion on this before....

But after spending some time where these chain squirt companies are prevailant....

I would have to say yes, absolutely, I WOULD REFUSE to service a lawn they squirt.

In my mind, this company is for homeowners that mow their own grass to hire for fert/squirt.
Like hiring a chain structural pest company, only for the lawn.

I'd probably tell people that too.

I understand some LCO's might not mind it, or may not even be interested in the fert/squirt... totally understand. BUT I personally just do not need that level of potential problems.

Potential problems or potential added income? If you an applicator and your there twice a wk its great opportunity to point out how the lawn is stressed from the high level of N and the thinning of the lawn. It gives you a chance to point out deficiency's that the customer can see and tell them how YOU would correct the problem, and your making money twice the money in one wk for just mowing top growth. Nothing to lose and more money to gain.

AintNoFun
06-21-2006, 01:00 PM
thats my favorite thing about tg/cl... they blame everything on the sharpness of my crew's blades.. lol.. a few customers call every month saying tg/cl said my blades are dull....

chemlawn will try to blame a lawn problem on the LCO

Envy Lawn Service
06-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Potential problems or potential added income? If you an applicator and your there twice a wk its great opportunity to point out how the lawn is stressed from the high level of N and the thinning of the lawn. It gives you a chance to point out deficiency's that the customer can see and tell them how YOU would correct the problem, and your making money twice the money in one wk for just mowing top growth. Nothing to lose and more money to gain.

If you are able to do that and win out with the truth... I think that is GREAT!

Personally, I would go out for an esimate "knowing" they were there customer.
And I think I could gage the customer's rationality and rather or not I could win them over.

But I would not take on one under another premise, knowing I would get into the blame game and not come out on the winning end of things ya know?

olderthandirt
06-21-2006, 01:18 PM
If you are able to do that and win out with the truth... I think that is GREAT!

Personally, I would go out for an esimate "knowing" they were there customer.
And I think I could gage the customer's rationality and rather or not I could win them over.

But I would not take on one under another premise, knowing I would get into the blame game and not come out on the winning end of things ya know?

There really is no blame game, After you explain to your customer your credentials and SHOW them your applicator lisc ask them if the CL/TG truck driver/applicator will show his.
They all work under one in the office or field manager.
If the customer is still that ignorant to not know the difference I'll still take there $$$$ mowing twice a wk. and when I get tired of any blame game there gone.

MTR
06-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Bring them on...TGCL is a joke that I love to get accounts that they can't solve! No kidding, my area is the opposite, any lawn touched by TGCL will have issue sooner or later. Most of lawns will be green for the first 3 weeks and after that they go downhill. I don' think they put any fetilizer into lawns, and mostly just spraying around with water, and some dust sprayed on, BUT big on paper works and BILLs for their customers.
Their employees turn over is like MCdonald crew...so bring them on!
FYI, favorite blame game, "dull blades! " I think the entire company uses that!

DAVEY PROS
06-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Almost all our yards are chem lawn/tru green treated and our mowers don't really become clogged. Don't know if it's only because we use 21'. No normal cloging than when we gut wet grass.

Actually, one of the founders of tru green lives down the street from me - pretty nice guy. Good yard of course

qualitylawnmanagement
06-21-2006, 02:12 PM
What type and name of the chemicals do they use?

Mower For Less
06-21-2006, 03:00 PM
thats my favorite thing about tg/cl... they blame everything on the sharpness of my crew's blades.. lol.. a few customers call every month saying tg/cl said my blades are dull....

I aint had the dull blades excuse yet... I have had the you cut it too short excuse. We cut all our lawns at 3". I had one that was a TG/CL lawn, and they had us cutting it at 4". lol.

TG/CL here seems to be really cheap on the chemicals, so I dont really have the excessive growth problem that is common to most TG/CL lawns. Most of the TG/CL lawns here are thin and cut easily. I dont mind picking them up, and if they havent been brainwashed by TG/CL, I can usually steal the fert biz too.

Kevin

NNJLandman
06-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Watever Chem lawn puts down, i give em credit for producing an awesome lawn, but yea they get way to think and even though you may cut the place weekly it really needs to be cut twice a week, you cut it and the next day it looks like you didnt touch it. I will not cut any Chem lawns, unless I get top dollar then some, you end up filling up your truck with just that one stop.

Jeff

lawnboy dan
06-21-2006, 05:42 PM
i have the opposite problem . the yards they treat around here are all in terriable condition due to their poor service. i have one that i do and i have watched it steadly go down hill in the past 2 yrs. i bet i will get blamed for "ruining their yard" the pita has allready cut me back to every 2 weeks cause its hardly growing due to poor health

ProStreetCamaro
06-21-2006, 06:01 PM
you end up filling up your truck with just that one stop.

The answer to your problem is to stop bagging lawns.

We have a couple that TG/CL treats and sure they grow faster in the spring but not any faster than any other treated lawn grows.

David Haggerty
06-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Everyone's talking like they still topdress with liquid N. Is that so? I thought they went to granular urea coated N. But just used a small percentage of slow release N.

wherebluegrassgrows
06-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Amen to that! Today I saw a treatment sheet on a customers door so I took a peek. The A-hole had check marked dull blades on his b.s. sheet. When I left an invoice I noted that chem lawn is over treating your lawn. I cut (treat till they grow themselves to death). I mean, lawns chem lawn sprays but I cut them tall usually no less than 3.5 inches. If we go without rain they are always the first to brown.

Scotts' Yard Care
06-21-2006, 09:02 PM
but I'd lose half my route:cry: We only have real trouble in the spring when the lawns are already growing out of control anyway. As another member pointed out these chemical companies stunt the lawns in the warm weather. We do have one lawn that a chemical mass marketer burned with nitrogen
so badly it looked like Roundup was applied in places. The solution? Pour so much excess water to the lawn that it's growing 7-8 inches a week:dizzy: We just hack through it as best we can and wait for the customer to complain then we'll jump him about excess water and fertilizer.:laugh: We thought we had one account weaned off this BS but one of their kids "kindly"
payed for a year's service as a surprise for their parents. Sometimes ya just
can't win. The funny part was that the chemical guy drifted some spray or over did an app to the customers prize roses and killed three fourths of them.
They did make good on this though after my wife pointed out to our customer that her roses were dying.

Dashunde
06-21-2006, 09:07 PM
I dont care. I just mow the grass.
If it grows too fast the customer simply pays to have it mowed more often.
Frankly, I kinda like it.... more money.

jt5019
06-21-2006, 09:30 PM
I have four lawns treated by TG/CL and two by Scotts. I have had no problems whatsoever with them except for in the spring they grow like crazy especially if it rains a lot. Once we get into the heat of the summer they are like any other lawn.

topsites
06-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Mowing TWICE a week?
Are all your customers really that stupid?
Because mine aren't... I mean, one or two here and there might not know any better, but I wouldn't take advantage of their ignorance and now I know some of y'all ain't right in the head.

Back when you were a kid, did you or your own parents cut twice a week?
Well, did they?
How often did they cut the grass, come on, think real long and hard.
I bet in June, if they cut it every 2 weeks, that was enough.
So WHY would you, as an expert grass cutter, cut or talk about cutting grass any more often than THAT?

I mean y'all got to be doing this to make a noob fall for some really stupid crap, but it's so dumb and besides, I don't care much for the practical joke that helps 'natural selection' along like that. At least not in the volumes the bs gets unloaded here.

I'd only suspected it until now.

olderthandirt
06-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Mowing TWICE a week?
Because mine aren't... I mean, one or two here and there might not know any better, but I wouldn't take advantage of their ignorance and now I know some of y'all ain't right in the head.

Well, did they?
So WHY would you, as an expert grass cutter, cut or talk about cutting grass any more often than THAT?

I mean y'all got to be doing this to make a noob fall for some really stupid crap, but it's so dumb and besides, I don't care much for the practical joke that helps 'natural selection' along like that. At least not in the volumes the bs gets unloaded here.

This will probably be deleted BUT if you had any brains instead of trying to set a new record for the # of post you can do you would realize that people come from all over the world and all parts of this country and the weather varies. Twice a week with a lot of N on a lawn in a rainy period is normal for those areas. WE don't all cut every other week.

I agree with what you said below though but it will probably be the only thing we agree on

jt5019
06-21-2006, 11:00 PM
I see no problem with cutting twice a week if it needs it. You just have to explain to the customer why it needs to be done. A few of my treated lawns were growing over 4 inches in a weeks time this spring. I chose to not cut them twice a week(should have) but instead i cut them higher than i normally would until they started to slow down. If i cut them at 3.5 inches there would have been clumps all over the place.

Surf'n'Turf
06-21-2006, 11:24 PM
I agree with what you said below though but it will probably be the only thing we agree on

quotes below are killing me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Grits
06-21-2006, 11:42 PM
My personal grass needs to be cut about every 4 to 5 days at this time of year.

Mowing TWICE a week?

Well, did they?

K.Carothers
06-22-2006, 12:01 AM
I cut my own lawn every 3-4 days. It's the best lawn around my neighborhood.

kc

Mower For Less
06-22-2006, 12:02 AM
This will probably be deleted BUT if you had any brains instead of trying to set a new record for the # of post you can do you would realize that people come from all over the world and all parts of this country and the weather varies. Twice a week with a lot of N on a lawn in a rainy period is normal for those areas. WE don't all cut every other week.

Im glad im not the only one that has issues with topsites. :)

And for the record, in the spring I cut my lawn about every 3 days.

joefromstockton
06-22-2006, 12:06 AM
What are the chemicals used by chem lawns and tru green, anybody know?

DLCS
06-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Mowing TWICE a week?

Well, did they?

What a ignorant fool.^

Come up here in the spring time and cut some of my lawns every 2 weeks. You will quickly see why we northerners go no more than a week between cuttings. When I was a kid, my father would never let our 2 acres go more than a week between mowings in the spring. Only a dumb arse up here mows his lawn every 2 weeks in the spring.

PTOhioMower
06-22-2006, 02:17 AM
Mowing TWICE a week?

Well, did they?

Now we know where topsites learned all his wisdumb!

Obviously, topsites parents sat him down when he was a wee lil lad and discussed the finer points in lawn cuttin. Never mow more than once a week and never, ever use any mower unless it has a T-bar.

gottamow
06-22-2006, 04:06 AM
Almost all our yards are chem lawn/tru green treated and our mowers don't really become clogged. Don't know if it's only because we use 21'. No normal cloging than when we gut wet grass.

Actually, one of the founders of tru green lives down the street from me - pretty nice guy. Good yard of course

Really? So this founder, how long has he lived in, uh, Georgia is it? That's really amazing that here we are talking about truegreen, and what do you know, one of the founders is "actually" your neighbor! Wow!

Big M LawnnSnow
06-22-2006, 06:12 AM
After starting this post I fired my customer who just signed up with CLawn.
I've cut his lawn for 4 years and his cheap a$$ didn't want to spend anything on his lawn. He would want to go to Lowes and buy products and want me to apply them to his yard for free.
And no I wouldn't do that. So now his curry eating butt hires these guys for 8 applications and it's growing like crazy. Thats a nice kick in the a$$...
His solution to not cutting it every 5 days is to cut it shorter.
What a dope.Now let him find someone else to cut his 2 lawns and put up with his constant bartering and whining about the cost of lawn care.

jwscroll
06-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Is T/G the only company you guy's have up there? Cause down here it's almost mandatory to have a chem service, usually in house so as to spot problems and resolve them, for a small fee of course.

Stretch
06-22-2006, 10:22 AM
CL is relentless over here. If they find out you are even slightly interested in a fert program, they will call every day, tell you your lawn will die without them, grubs and hellfire will take over, and promise lower and lower quotes until you give in. They tell lies about local companies, (and most use Lesco product) The older and the meek people sign up just to stop the phone calls.

lawnboy dan
06-22-2006, 07:59 PM
what chemicals does chemlawn/true green use? in my area not enough!

Green Grass
06-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Never had a problem with them i have many customers that use them

nitrotim
06-23-2006, 12:15 AM
I had one customer who used them and I convinced them to switch over to me. The benefit of having the same person doing both the chemicals and cutting was a great selling point (besides the fact that their lawn is now in much better shape):)

P & L Turf
06-23-2006, 12:33 AM
I've never had this irrational problem with chemlawn.

Me too. In fact, the only problem I have with them, Is me as well as my customers think they're just sprayin itlian dressing on the lawns. They've sprayed one lawn four times over three weeks ago and still no progress.

old dog 80
06-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Had problems with Chemlawn for years.Theirs is the worst of all companies.
Every problem with the lawn is the cutters fault.Get the client to cut back the
number of apps to 3 or 4 skipping apps in the hot season.Get away from ALL
liquid ferts and go with slow release! If you don't want to mess with
certification sub the chemicaL control to someone whose program you like.
Then YOU bill the customer and tack on a "sales" charge for extra income.
I have watched them spray lawns seconds before a downpour. It could be
a management issue in each franchise and the one I deal with is terrible

Stretch
06-23-2006, 11:56 PM
I saw Chemlawn spray during rainfall.....and he was wearing rain gear

nobagger
06-24-2006, 09:18 AM
We use TG/Chemlawn for all of our lawns. I haven't had any type of problem in 3 years, I don't see what the problem is in here all the time with TG.:confused: All of our customer's are happy and we don't have to get into any type of fert. and storing it etc. They in turn have set us up with a ton of customers, every one is happy.:clapping: