PDA

View Full Version : 60 Super Z Demo 100 Hrs 28 Efi $ 7000

REALSLOW
06-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Is that a good deal with a full warranty and how good are the 28 Kolhler EFI,I heard the early ones had some problems ? Lately I have had my fair share of problems with a 25 Kohler and a 13 so I am just asking THANKS!

tacoma200
06-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Is that a good deal with a full warranty and how good are the 28 Kolhler EFI,I heard the early ones had some problems ? Lately I have had my fair share of problems with a 25 Kohler and a 13 so I am just asking THANKS!

Yes it's a good deal, and Kohler has been relliable for most. Sorry about your problem with them but most of us havn't had problems.

AintNoFun
06-21-2006, 04:37 PM
i take it your talking about a hustler... if it is make sure you ask the dealer if it has the newer gear drive. we had a 72' 27 kawi l.c. with the older gear drive system - what a nightmere but hustler made very good on it!

timmac
06-21-2006, 07:30 PM
that is a real good deal. I got a demo with 50 hours on it with the 27 kohler for 6900 2005 model. jump on it.

mowerman90
06-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Yes, it's a good deal. You'll love the 28EFI. That's what I have on my new Super Z 28/60. No choke, smoother running, instant responce and the best part is the phenominal gas mileage. My olkd Super Z had the 27/52 Kohler and the new 28EFI puts it to shame.

REALSLOW
06-21-2006, 08:05 PM
I believe it does not have the new XR 7 deck. That deck was especially designrd for Florida according to a person I talked to ?

TLS
06-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Thats a great price. I've never used the older deck, but it's still a $10K mower....So, $3K off for 100hrs of break-in already done for you!

The 28EFI never had any known issues....it's older cousin, the 26EFI did have some teething problems on it's initial year. Yes, 25hp Kohlers had their share of problems during different years.

AINTNOFUN,

There is no gear drive on a 28EFI. They only used gear drives on the 27hp LC Kawi. All other engines (other than the Diesel) use a vertical shaft.

REALSLOW
06-21-2006, 09:33 PM
I can get a xr 7 with a 27 HP Kohler or the 28 EFI Kohler without the XR 7 both are demo take your pick for 7000 $ The XR 7 is suppossed to be better for Bahaia which is FL pasture grass tough as nails stuff you have to cut it twice when tall. Which one would be the way to go? THANKS!

TLS
06-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Talk to Ed (mowerman90) he's had both decks I believe, and operates in FL.

I hear nothing but praise about the ZR-7, but never heard too much negative about the older deck.

mowerman90
06-21-2006, 09:43 PM
I can get a xr 7 with a 27 HP Kohler or the 28 EFI Kohler without the XR 7 both are demo take your pick for 7000 $ The XR 7 is suppossed to be better for Bahaia which is FL pasture grass tough as nails stuff you have to cut it twice when tall. Which one would be the way to go? THANKS!

I'd go with the XR7 deck if you mow a lot of Bahia. It should blaze through it without leaving any stringers standing. I mow 99.5% Floratam and have always mulched. I found that the older style deck has just a slight edge over the Xr7 when it comes to mulching. No matter which deck you choose, make sure to get the Fusion blades. They last and hold an edge forever.

TLS
06-21-2006, 09:50 PM
No matter which deck you choose, make sure to get the Fusion blades. They last and hold an edge forever.

Your not kidding! :clapping:

DEEJ
06-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Decks aside, I would be all over the 28EFI before I would go with the 27 carbureted. Not a doubt in my mind. I have the 26EFI and the 28EFI and they are both the smoothest, most responsive and fuel efficient engines I have ever used. If I can help it there won't be any carburetors on big machines here again!

REALSLOW
06-21-2006, 11:01 PM
iaI'd go with the XR7 deck if you mow a lot of Bahia. It should blaze through it without leaving any stringers standing. I mow 99.5% Floratam and have always mulched. I found that the older style deck has just a slight edge over the Xr7 when it comes to mulching. No matter which deck you choose, make sure to get the Fusion blades. They last and hold an edge forever.

Mower man 90 THANKYOU, I mow alot of St Agustine but most of these are my cherry residentials where I like to mow them with a 52 midsize. I am buying the Super Z for big accounts only it will sit on the trailor a good bit. I actually find I can get these residential customers to pay me extra not to use the lawn Horse on thier small yards. The mower will be mowing mostly bahia acre plus properties and the quality of cut is not that big a issue.

I would like to use a 28 EFI but I talked to someone who knows and he told me they are to easy to wreck especially if you have a crew. He said if you jump the solenoid to start it you can blow the computer as well as it is harder to service. He told me $ for $ he liked the 60 XR7 with a 25 Kawie he felt it made more torque than the 27 HP kohler and was better on gas. I will not say who this person was but he is a insider at Hustler.

How much better is the XR 7 on bahia? I would like to buy a 66 with 28 EFI but I would have to put a few grand on a credit card and I am debating as to wheather I should. I am going to be using this mower in conjuction with 2 swisher 60" pull mowers one on each side and I am concerned as to weather I might need more motor to drive those big pumps.

Is it really necessary to use pumps that big on these machines? Not only does it strain the motor but it also SUCKS GAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TLS
06-21-2006, 11:06 PM
There will always be urban legend horror stories of EFI problems.

When's the last time you jumpstarted a ZTR?

The 27 Kohler runs better than the 25 Kawi.

As for the big pumps....they only take power when they're pumping at full tilt.

You'd be hard pressed to feel a power difference between a SuperZ and a regular until you hit double digit speeds.

mowerman90
06-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Yes, those big pumps are necessary. Why? Because they let you FLY over those 1 acre lots you plan on doing at almost twice the speed of other mowers. That translates into PRODUCTIVITY. I've owned a 23 Kawi, a 25Kawi, a 20, 25, 27 Kohler and have field tested the Kohler 30 and the 28EFI Kohler that I now use puts them ALL to shame. Yes, you can not jump start them without blowing the computer but your crews should be informed of this ahead of time to avoid this problem.

REALSLOW
06-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Yes, those big pumps are necessary. Why? Because they let you FLY over those 1 acre lots you plan on doing at almost twice the speed of other mowers. That translates into PRODUCTIVITY. I've owned a 23 Kawi, a 25Kawi, a 20, 25, 27 Kohler and have field tested the Kohler 30 and the 28EFI Kohler that I now use puts them ALL to shame. Yes, you can not jump start them without blowing the computer but your crews should be informed of this ahead of time to avoid this problem.

Thanks you guys, we have bad habits on my crew and we jump start every thing it is easier than taking 10 minutes to put a new key switch in.:hammerhead: !!!!!!!!!!

Here is what I can do either get the demo with old style deck 60 cut EFI 28 for 7000 or they will sell me a new 28 EFI 66 XR7 for 8700 $ Is the 66 xr 7 1700 better?

Are you sure the 27 HP Kohler is better than the Kawie ? I know the Kawie is better on fuel.

Here is one other ineresting tid bit if I bought one of the DEMO 27 HP KOHLER XR7 for 7000 I can always upgrade the motor down the road when I burn it up. The new XR 7 chasses hustler is longer than the old none XR7 chasses so how do you upgrade the deck on the old chasses? I may be better off getting the newer chasses design for this reason?

TLS
06-21-2006, 11:49 PM
The Kohler has more power and torque. Not that the Kawi is a slough though.

$8700 for a 28/66 is a KILLER deal!

TLS
06-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Whats wrong with the key switches? I've replaced ONE in 26 years of mowing.

tacoma200
06-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks you guys, we have bad habits on my crew and we jump start every thing it is easier than taking 10 minutes to put a new key switch in.:hammerhead: !!!!!!!!!!

Here is what I can do either get the demo with old style deck 60 cut EFI 28 for 7000 or they will sell me a new 28 EFI 66 XR7 for 8700 $ Is the 66 xr 7 1700 better?

Are you sure the 27 HP Kohler is better than the Kawie ? I know the Kawie is better on fuel.

I would jump all over the $7000 unit with either deck. That's at least $1000 less than you will find from most dealers. If you don't want it put it on a truck and have them drop it off here. My 27 hp Kohler uses 1.18 gallons per hour and Kohler doesn't sell the most engine's by making junk. They have had a few problems with different models over the years but they are a well reguarded engine overall. Easy to work on if needed and cheap to replace if they ever fail.

TLS
06-21-2006, 11:54 PM
I know the Kawie is better on fuel.

It should be, it's 50cc's smaller!

mowerman90
06-21-2006, 11:58 PM
No, the XR7 isn't worth the $1700 more IMHO, unless you're mowing Bahia that hasn't been cut in over 2 weeks in July -August

REALSLOW
06-22-2006, 12:03 AM
It should be, it's 50cc's smaller! For some reason I always end up bypassing the silenoid on every thing!

TLS
06-22-2006, 12:07 AM
No, the XR7 isn't worth the $1700 more IMHO, unless you're mowing Bahia that hasn't been cut in over 2 weeks in July -August

Ed, not only will it be BRAND new, but it will also be a 66" cut XR-7.

That price on a 28/66 is crazy good. Too good to pass up IMO.

tacoma200
06-22-2006, 12:15 AM

TLS has more experience than me so he ought to know the best deal.

REALSLOW
06-22-2006, 12:23 AM

That is the thing, I am buying this machine to cut a property that took 2 guys on 72" turf tigers 6.5 hours to mow.

It only gets mowed every 2 weeks in the summer and it grows like mad because it is swampy land. I mean this Hustler is going to get tortured,I am going to run 2 60" swisher pull behind mowers behind it so I can bang out 15 ft of grass a pass. 28 HP may not be enough power to cut 2 week old bahai and then pull a 1000 LBS to? I could break down and get the diesel and solve the issue but I do not want a 2000 pound mower I cannot use on my other accounts.

TLS
06-22-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't think 6" of deck will make or break this machine.

REALSLOW
06-22-2006, 08:41 PM
I bought the 27 Kohler ZR 7 60 deck. I was going to buy the 28 EFI but I talked to a person who had 2 of them for many a hour and he told me if you run a crew forget it. He told me if anything goes wrong with them you are dead in the water period. I also talked to 2 mechanics that work on them and they basically said the same thing. No matter what you can always usually get a carburated motor to finish the day even if something is slightly wrong and the fuel injected one will be sitting on the property needing a wrecker to come get it.

If you are a owner operator it looks good but with a crew the feeling I got was to steer clear.

Are you guys sure the 27 Kohler is more stout than the 25 Kawie ?

I wanted the EFI bad, it was a way better value but to many people told me they were problematic.

TLS
06-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Are you guys sure the 27 Kohler is more stout than the 25 Kawie ?

In real life they are. And of course on paper they are. As for fuel economy between the two..., I cant comment on that.

REALSLOW
06-22-2006, 09:34 PM
I wanted the EFI so bad I could taste it. Everybody agreed the performance was better. Thanks alot !

lazer9284
06-22-2006, 09:37 PM
depends what dealer you are getting it from in florida..... i hope for your sake its not commercial lawn equipment, I wont give that theif another cent

TLS
06-22-2006, 09:37 PM
I wanted the EFI so bad I could taste it.

They taste like chicken....don't you think. ;)

REALSLOW
06-22-2006, 09:53 PM
They taste like chicken....don't you think. ;)

To many people who know said to steer clear. One mechanic told me they had them in there for slight repair with only a couple hundred hours on them.

The problems wrong with them were simple but the machines left the owners with no way to get them off the properties. And the down time was significant for a slight problem. Yes it tastes like chicken!!!!!!!!!!!

REALSLOW
06-22-2006, 10:29 PM
depends what dealer you are getting it from in florida..... i hope for your sake its not commercial lawn equipment, I wont give that theif another cent The place I bought it from was Equipment Direct in Gainesville. The deal I got was nothing my friend bought a 2006 60" with flex forks 25 HP Kawie motor Super Z for 7499 + tax and the machine was new. They are supposed to be a very large dealer ?