PDA

View Full Version : a little paver help please

tthomass
06-21-2006, 07:14 PM
I know how to install pavers.........done driveways and patios blah blah blah....ICPI cert

Well now I have to price it........golden rule around here seems to be $8 square foot. Now.......on top of that I assume that you would charge extra for say a mini ex rental? The $8/ft covers the pavers, 21A/crush, and sand correct?

One last question.......how to charge for steps?

I was involved in the construction end of things vs the office. Thanks!

nkour
06-24-2006, 04:10 AM
When we price work there are three components that go into it Direct job costs, overhead costs & profit. Job costs are the materials, fuel, and labor time for a specific job. Overhead costs are insurance, taxes, rent, equipment (some may disagree but we figure equipment into overhead because we pay for it all year long just like rent) etc. that can't be directly billed to a particular job but must be spread out over all the jobs you plan on doing.

$8.00/square foot may cover the material but I doubt it would cover labor and overhead let alone profit.

Steps are figured the same way as any other part of the project.

Spend some time figuring your overhead and how much each job should contibute to it. An accountant can help or you may want to buy Charles van Der Koi's book. Also check out www.ICPI.org web site for books you can buy that address overhead.

Good luck.

Nick

tthomass
06-27-2006, 11:53 PM
thanks, i've been do'n a lot of research

planting jobs or masonry (patios, walls etc) i can throw out bids but paver bidding i'm new to but i'm gett'n there:weightlifter:

cedarcroft
06-28-2006, 06:52 AM
I hear ya on the bidding. I understand how to price things using overhead and material cost etc, My problem is figuring out how much time something will take so I can apply the appropriate overhead. but no matter how you slice it, $8 a sq ft seems VERY cheap. maybe if that was your labor only, but for the whole thing thats low IMO.

DVS Hardscaper
06-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Hello,

I have written extensively in a post on this message board about WHY a contractor Should NEVER EVER, unit price jobs.

I respectfully recommend that you do a search on my name and find the threads.

I will add that even though we DO NOT unit price (as in square foot pricing), I do know what our jobs *average* out to. And I'll say that $8 / SF was the average cost 8 years ago for us in our area.

Now-A-Days we are averaging $15-$17 / Sf for larger jobs, and as high as $25-$30 / SF for small jobs (under 400 SF).

Aside from the smaller jobs, most of our jobs have steps, walls, burying of downspouts, etc - which usually gets the averages on the $20's.

Never unit price. Try a search on my name and you should find a post or two explaining why.

Have a great season.

tthomass
06-30-2006, 12:43 AM
i don't unit price, i look at material, all cost involved from all points and labor to determine price

i just remembered the $8 sq foot be'n spoken about in ICPI a while back and i understand why you don't price that way........soil conditions, job acess blah blah

i'll look into your post and thanks for the help!:drinkup: