PDA

View Full Version : Mini-X and A/C

ma5tr
06-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Hello all,

Just wondering how good the a/c in my cat 302.5c is suppo0sed to be. We had a service tech come out when we first bought it because the freon was not filled because of shippment reasons. But it still gets hot in there when it's 100 out with the a/c on. Is that normal? Cold/cool air blows out but I'm guessing it does not hold the air good because of the poor insulation. Is this normal? Thanks

Mike33
06-21-2006, 09:54 PM
My 185 bobcat does descent but it isnt like your car or home.I think the glass hurts also. My dealer said it would cool 30 degree so i figured 100 out 70 will feel good. I cant say it cools 30 but i have ran these machines quite a few years with out them in the summer with the rock rake on and it is quite an improvement. I really think the clear glass is the killer though.
Mike

Duramax8832
06-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Now dont jump down my throat here. But would it me worth tinting the side and rear windows? Just a thought. I know the tint really cooled down my truck, the ac doesnt have to work so hard now

mow king
06-21-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't know about the excavators but in our Cat 252b skidloader, the ac will keep me comfy even in 95 degree weather (Highest temps I've encountered while running it). Are you sure you flipped the AC switch on? Without it switched on and the temp knob all the way down it blows cool air but nothing else for me.

tylermckee
06-22-2006, 02:29 AM
our 140 and 160 excavators the AC blows ICE cold.

Scag48
06-22-2006, 02:43 AM
I've noticed this with the 277B, even with A/C on full blast it's cool in the cab, but I still sweat a little. The 312, on the other hand, is great. With doors and windows closed and the temp turned all the way down, I only have to turn the fan on maybe halfway and it's nice and cool inside.

2004F550
06-22-2006, 09:26 AM
see if your A/C guy can give you some better freon....since its off road construction equipment it doesn't fall under the same EPA restrictions as OTR trucks and you can use some stronger material, it will definatly cool it down more.

xcopterdoc
06-22-2006, 07:30 PM
"see if your A/C guy can give you some better freon....since its off road construction equipment it doesn't fall under the same EPA restrictions as OTR trucks and you can use some stronger material, it will definatly cool it down more."

EPA regs are EPA regs as far as refrigerants are concerned. They are covered under part 608 and 609.
As far as switching refrigerants... not a good idea.
Just have it checked by a PRO.. money well spent.

mrusk
06-22-2006, 07:40 PM
If its under 80 the ac is great in my 246. Once it gets up to 90 and its humid out i still sweat in the cab. It is not like my truck. Also when it gets hot out you got to run it for about 10 minutes before it really starts to cool down.

It sucks for me though since i am always in and out of the machine on these hardscape jobs.

Matt

Gravel Rat
06-22-2006, 09:20 PM
All the new air conditioning systems are made for the new refridgerant I forget the name of it but you can't run the old style freon.

If you guys laid off on the bean burritos for breakfast lunch and supper you wouldn't be heating up the cab with your passing gas.

What we usually wear when it gets to unbearably hot is regular mechanics coveralls with nothing but underwear on. It keeps you cool and it keeps you cleaner than wearing regular shorts and having bare legs. Last year I was wearing unlinined carhartts and shorts with a white T shirt.

When it gets too hot work stops and start the next day earlier in the morning to beat the heat. Usually will start at 6:30 and work till 13:00 people usually complain if you start making noise earlier than that.

mrusk
06-22-2006, 09:59 PM
To hot to work???? We have a short enough season as it is. I never once quit work because it was to hot.

xcopterdoc
06-22-2006, 11:21 PM
We have several rental units with AC. Kobelco 135, 210 and 300..also a Komatsu PC300 and several IHI mini x's. All cool fine. Vent temps run from 44 to 48 degrees. The excavators have the most glass, therefore creating a greenhouse effect. It can effect the temps for sure. The wheel loaders and articulated dumps cool really well. I say have it checked by someone who knows. No shade trees or sheet house lawyers.

Gravel Rat
06-23-2006, 12:03 AM
If it gets to hot we will stop its not worth getting heat stroke start the next day. Our season goes 365 days a year we work through the 6 months of winter rain.

2004F550
06-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Well our licensed A/C maintainer said there are differences between construction equipment and over the road trucks. He can use certain things on construction equipment that he can't on other trucks. He is always checked up on by the EPA too. I say bring back the R-12...that stuff would make your joints stiff it was so cold..