PDA

View Full Version : Allan Block AB Block Corner

GLawn
06-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Just need some insight on an Allan Block corner. We are doing a wall with 6 degree AB block, which we've used in the past. The problem is this wall needs corners that are more than 90 degrees. The last wall we did with these stones only had 90's and I assume that they don't make another block for corners that are more than 90. I know that they changed to this new corner block but just wanted to confirm the cutting to achieve the new corner( more than 90). Any help would be apprecitated.

Fordsuvparts
06-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Yes you wil have to cut the block to go more than 90 degrees. You should only have to cut a couple per course so that should be no problem. I do like the look of the block, but the minimim curve diameter is 144", so if you have any decent sized curves you will get in to a lot of cutting. Also how tall will the wall be. Make sure your using geogrid. We just bought our first load of material from Allan Block last week, they seem to have a lot of different types of blocks and pavers.

Mike33
06-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Yes the previous post is correct also you can control your set back of how much you cut. Ive been installing them since 99 with over 150 out there. They to me are the best srw system out there. How ever they have flaws also. This corner block in reality really sucks. I wish they made it the full size of a block. If you make a corner say off of a set of steps and that run goes to a structure ( house ) you will have to cut a block. We dont like cutting blocks that why we use the jrs and the lites. We offered our services to them on designing a block or told them just hire a un educated idiot for an enginer to get it right. Any questions on allen block feel free to contact me.
www.bobcatservice33.com
Mike

GreenMonster
06-22-2006, 10:19 PM
This corner block in reality really sucks. I wish they made it the full size of a block. If you make a corner say off of a set of steps and that run goes to a structure ( house ) you will have to cut a block.

very true. AB corners suck. I can't figure out why the corner is not in the same multiples as the stretcher (18")

I started out using AB, but am finding out that there are several better options. I still like AB for tall walls and shoreline applications, but I'm quickly becoming hooked on Techo.

mbella
06-22-2006, 11:32 PM
We just used AB for the first time. The only reason we used AB was because we had to match a new wall to an existing wall. The thing I didn't like about the corners was having to notch the corners to enable them to align with the rest of the face.

neversatisfiedj
06-24-2006, 03:22 PM
AB is the worst block

Versa-lok and Nicolock - the best :)

Mike33
06-24-2006, 05:37 PM
very true. AB corners suck. I can't figure out why the corner is not in the same multiples as the stretcher (18")

I started out using AB, but am finding out that there are several better options. I still like AB for tall walls and shoreline applications, but I'm quickly becoming hooked on Techo.
What has been your options? In my area we have ab and ep henry. Im not much on ep henry.

Mike33
06-24-2006, 05:42 PM
AB is the worst block

Does versa -lok have a hoolow core/ What is a Nicolock? What dont you like about ab. Ive got them down pretty good now ive been using them for so long i know the flaws. Im here in alleg. co on hill sides building walls to hold back something and feel they are a strong system. We only have ep henry other wisw a new dealer took them on 2 years ago . Im not convinced they are better so i havent changed.
Mike

GreenMonster
06-25-2006, 09:59 PM
What has been your options? In my area we have ab and ep henry. Im not much on ep henry.

AB, Anchor, Techo, Bolduc, Belgard

Versa Lok isn't really local, but I have a guy here that insisted on it, so I'll be using that for the first time in the next few weeks. I'm interested to see how that goes.

After starting out using so much AB, I feel spoiled now being able to build a wall more than one course at a time without having to backfill.

paponte
06-25-2006, 10:06 PM
After starting out using so much AB, I feel spoiled now being able to build a wall more than one course at a time without having to backfill.

I hear that. We normally use Keystone for larger builds, and usually backfill every 3. Saves a ton of time. As stated though, every block has its good and bad points. :)

Mike33
06-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I hear that. We normally use Keystone for larger builds, and usually backfill every 3. Saves a ton of time. As stated though, every block has its good and bad points. :)
Very good point, every one always feels they use the best product. Tell me about the keystone block that you only have to back fill every 3. Ive been ab for so long and fill every 1 and grid every 3. Thanks
Mike

Pavers Plus
06-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Nicolock has to be the worst wall block I've seen and heard about from my contractors. My contractors that have tried Nicolock would rather slit their throat than use it again. Heights were off on all their pavers and wall block. As an added bonus, Nicolock leaves all the split pieces of the wall blocks on the pallet for contractors to throw away..... saving themselves the cost of disposal.

zedosix
06-26-2006, 09:00 PM
AB is the worst block

Used Allen block once, what a joke. Make a cut and the inside is empty. Wtf is that all about. These blocks (junoir) are definetly a home owners special. Just like what home depot sells.

neversatisfiedj
06-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Mike versa-lok is solid. Mike ur walls are killer. Nice Nice work , I mean it. I can't use AB though, and if they keep raising prices noone will.

GreenMonster
06-26-2006, 10:07 PM
These blocks (junoir) are definetly a home owners special. Just like what home depot sells.

I agree AB is a PITA, and take much more labor than other blocks, but I think you're wrong comparing them to Home Depot garden block.

AB does make a very strong wall, especially when built correctly. I've seen some AB walls built incorrectly that are still holding well.

Difficult to work with, sure. Poor wall system functionally, definately not.

GLawn
06-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Guys thanks for the input. I did contact my local dealer and they gave me the specs from the tech sheet from Allan. The corners get cut and kind of woven together to give support to the next layer. It's not the greatest but with some patience and good cutting they are effective.

Mike33
06-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Mike versa-lok is solid. Mike ur walls are killer. Nice Nice work , I mean it. I can't use AB though, and if they keep raising prices noone will.
Thanks for your complimet, Yes it tough when they keep raising prices. Although, a friend of mine uses ep henry and he is paying $8.00 Plus while im still paying $6.00 even. Thanks again,
Mike

GreenMonster
06-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Guys thanks for the input. I did contact my local dealer and they gave me the specs from the tech sheet from Allan. The corners get cut and kind of woven together to give support to the next layer. It's not the greatest but with some patience and good cutting they are effective.

Don't forget to glue those corners too.

GLawn
06-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Getting back to those PITA AB corners, we did cut,cut,cut,cut,and cut to get all the corners done. We glued, glued, glued, and glued some more to secure them. I must say that although they are a major pain, once done they are very stable. It would be nice if there was some manufactured alternatives to all of that field cutting. Thanks again guys for all of the help.