PDA

View Full Version : side discharge? is it good enough?

mbell3333
06-21-2006, 10:13 PM
I have a couple of acres I mow on my farm regularly and more pasture acres that I need to mow once in a while. I have been using a jd rider and had many issues. No zero turn so it took forever (2-5 hours) to cut the lawn depending on grass height, etc. I am buying a new mower, and have decided on an Exmark Lazer HP 23hp 50". My only unresolved question has to do with the side discharge. I was mulching or bagging before. I never want to bag another piece of grass in my life if I can help it! Salesman tells me the Exmark will work great with the side discharge and no need for mulching. He says, no big mess will be left on the lawn. I am a bit afraid to make this purchase only because I don't want to spend this much money and see a lawn that looks in desperate need of raking up the leftover cut grass.

Thanks for any input on this.

MB

LarryF
06-21-2006, 10:50 PM
have decided on an Exmark Lazer HP 23hp 50".
MB

For what it's worth, that's pretty much what I have, and the side discharge works great for me. And I use the standard blades that came with the machine. I doubt if you'll be disappointed if you go for it!

dvmcmrhp52
06-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Relax.
We do more than just a few lawns each week and there is no other method used other than side discharging.

hmartin
06-21-2006, 11:49 PM
How long are you letting the grass get before you cut. If it is real long it may not look that great side discharged, but a mulching deck doesn't work that well for overgrown grass either.

JoeinJasper
07-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Try discharging with a Gator or Rapter blade to reduce the size of the clippings. This will work well if you don't wait too long between cuttings.

lawnmaniac883
07-02-2006, 10:48 PM
If the side discharge doesnt work well for you then you can always throw on a mulching kit w/ baffles and blades and be set...

mbricker
07-06-2006, 02:27 AM
With that large an acreage, I would consider a wider deck. Is it reasonably smooth without a bunch of bumps and dips? As pointed out above, wait too long to cut and you will not have as good results. For the pasture areas that don't get cut as often, set the deck as high as it will go, and don't strive for a golf course look. Unless you really want to obsess about how a pasture looks. running Gators or doubles will also help. I have bagged a lot of lawns, but anyone who bags a couple acres is a masochist.