PDA

View Full Version : which Z.T.R. to buy?

2nd Chance
06-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I was once in the biz and used Exmark, Lately I have looked at Toro and Dixie Chopper . I loved my Exmarks but they have made some changes that I am not to happy with, for instance they have lowered thr Horsepower and went to those tire brakes insterad of a band style brake . I think Toro has a great idea with the adjustable front deck baffle . I like the looks of the Chopper but looks don"t get the job done . A few years ago there were some members of this forum who praised Dixie Chopper . Any input from the people using Toro or Dixie Chopper would be appreciated. I am only needing a deck in the 48 to 50 inch range but I want 21 Horsepower or more .THanks James

ProStreetCamaro
06-21-2006, 10:35 PM
I was once in the biz and used Exmark, Lately I have looked at Toro and Dixie Chopper . I loved my Exmarks but they have made some changes that I am not to happy with, for instance they have lowered thr Horsepower and went to those tire brakes insterad of a band style brake . I think Toro has a great idea with the adjustable front deck baffle . I like the looks of the Chopper but looks don"t get the job done . A few years ago there were some members of this forum who praised Dixie Chopper . Any input from the people using Toro or Dixie Chopper would be appreciated. I am only needing a deck in the 48 to 50 inch range but I want 21 Horsepower or more .THanks James

Look and see if you have a Cub Commercial dealer around you. We have both a Lazer HP 48" and a Cub Tank M48. Both are great machines and the build quality on the Tank is amazing. We paid $6,500 for ours with a 23HP Kawi on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/NewTank001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/NewTank002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/NewTank006.jpg

Also look into the Gravely PM 148. Gravely makes awsome equipment. Check out Hustler also because I hear they make good mowers and there customer support is second to none.

2nd Chance
06-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks Pro Street Camaro! I Do Have A Cub Dealer Close By

newz7151
06-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Look and see if you have a Cub Commercial dealer around you. We have both a Lazer HP 48" and a Cub Tank M48. Both are great machines and the build quality on the Tank is amazing. We paid $6,500 for ours with a 23HP Kawi on it.

Also look into the Gravely PM 148. Gravely makes awsome equipment. Check out Hustler also because I hear they make good mowers and there customer support is second to none.

I can't tell from your pics.. does the Cub have a seat belt on it? We do not sell Cub, but I tried out a neighbor's 60" tank and the dang thing liked to bounce a person all over the place... whereas the 60" Triton demo that we currently have keeps you nice and in the seat with the self retracting seat belt.

ProStreetCamaro
06-21-2006, 11:29 PM
I can't tell from your pics.. does the Cub have a seat belt on it? We do not sell Cub, but I tried out a neighbor's 60" tank and the dang thing liked to bounce a person all over the place... whereas the 60" Triton demo that we currently have keeps you nice and in the seat with the self retracting seat belt.

No it doesnt have the seatbelt and thats because it doesnt have ROPS. If your friends was bouncy then he has way to much air in the tires. The seatbelt is only meant to hold you firmly on the seat in case of a roll over.

tacoma200
06-21-2006, 11:45 PM
I've read very few complaints with Toro. Exmark has had some deck problems not sure if they affect your area. Hustler has been the most talked about ZTR lately and they have mostly positive reviews and are less expensive than Exmark. You are in a great position to test drive several model's and see which one meets your needs. I wouln't recomend buying until I had test driven several and found out which dealer in you area would give you the best customer support. Dixies have a good reputation I just don't like the way they look (personal preference). Don't rule out Scag, John Deere, etc. Take your time, it's a big investment.

Roger
06-22-2006, 12:34 AM
No it doesnt have the seatbelt and thats because it doesnt have ROPS. If your friends was bouncy then he has way to much air in the tires. The seatbelt is only meant to hold you firmly on the seat in case of a roll over.

I have had a JD 717A for a few weeks and my experiences tend the other way. Many of my properties are uneven and rough, making the ride very difficult. And, the tires have plenty of sponge to them. Also, I have learned to connect the seat belt every time for the very reason in discussion above: It keeps me in the seat firmly during the rough ride, making it possible to keep a steady pace. Without the belt, I feel like I'm bouncing too much to maintain control of the machine very well.

BTW, for the reasons I've stated, I've concluded riding a ZTR is not the energy-saver machine I was expecting. I formerly used only an Exmark Viking with a BullRider sulky for the larger properties (walk for the smaller ones). Standing on a sulky seems not so bad, having legs to take the ride. The ZTR, sitting on a seat, only one's back/backside take the shocks. I often wish there was a way to stand on my ZTR. I know ... it sounds counter-productive, but, for me, the sitting is hardly relaxing.

newz7151
06-22-2006, 12:34 AM

I said "neighbor" not.. "friend" . But anyway.. I feel the seatbelt adds a little stability to the ride by keeping you from bouncing up or forward on the seat. Let's think.. if you were driving a truck in the Baha race, or a monster truck flying up and over cars, and didn't have a seatbelt, wouldn't you be bouncing around and losing control there too? I believe the seatbelt on mowers serves a dual purpose..

2nd Chance
06-22-2006, 06:03 PM
I guess you guys go really fast on your mowers because when I was in the biz I went slow , I always thought the ground speed available on most ztr's was way to fast <except for hauling butt for your trailer or paycheck! I don't have a Hustler dealer nearby that I am aware of . It's Chopper , Toro or Exmark or Cub in my area <east texas > thanks fr yall's input . James

stuffdeer
06-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Toro All The Way!

MJB
06-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Get a suspension seat and it will save your back. I won't buy a new mower without it.