PDA

View Full Version : Quikchute ?s

Imow4u2
06-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Had a few questions about the Quikchute OCDC.. Can you leave the unit partially open?? I use the OCDC on my chopper at a 70 ish degree angle on windy days so I don't get covered. I was just wondering If I could do the same, as I will take the factory Deflector off for manuverability... Sorry forgot to mention that this will be on a super Z if it makes a difference...

lawnrangers
06-21-2006, 10:08 PM
yes you can leave it partially open...qwikchutes all the way!!!!

TLS
06-21-2006, 10:13 PM
I need to come up with something for my SuperZ.

NOTHING out there floats my boat.

captken
06-22-2006, 07:35 AM
I need to come up with something for my SuperZ.

NOTHING out there floats my boat.

Qwikchute...try one. I bought mine from PJ on the Hustler forum in 02. It looks like it is an OEM part for the machine. Well designed and intergrates well with the deck cutout, Qwikchute sent me a new door with the extension.

TLS
06-22-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't care for that big control handle they have. That's my major concern.

FIRESCOOBY
06-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Has anyone had a problem with the handle breaking off? I installed mine about 5 weeks ago. Yesterday I noticed the handle looked loose. Grabbed it and it broke off in my hand. The weld had broke where the flange is welded. I called them today and they said mail mine in and they will "repair" it. Not very happy right now. They acknowledged that they have a problem with this and they are working on a stronger handle.

Kinda pi**ed that I spent $241 and it lasted me less than 5 weeks and less than 60 hours.

BTW: The handle has never came into contact with anything other than some very light branches. Not a scratch on it at all. I guess I'll try to get it in the mail tomorrow and hope it is returned fast.

Imow4u2
06-22-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear that the handle is a P.O.S. That may be the only thing I will miss about my current chopper the OCDC works well and is engineered to last. I've never hit anything with it, It's still square. I do have one account that has alot of spruce trees for a wind break and I mow around them discharge in, to keep the low branches and needles away from my arms.. Sounds as though I better not attempt this with the Quikchute.. I really wanted a masterchute for the super z but I found out they don't carr them...

Shady Brook
06-22-2006, 08:39 PM
The Quikchute on my Super Z is solid as a rock. I would not trade it for a dixie chopper ocdc for anything. I much prefer it to the chopper unit, and have spent some hours using a chopper. I am amazed the handle broke off, mine is quite sturdy, likely has caught on some things and held up fine. It has been on my mower for two years and has yet to be bent or altered from new, and functions as it did the first day. Maybe they are designing them differently as I know there are some changes, but I think it is the best unit of it's kind. Call Quikchute and tell them about the broken handle, I bet Dale will take care of you.

FIRESCOOBY
06-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Well, they are taking care of me as far as "repairing" my handle, or that's what he said. The handle is completely and cleanly broken the entire radius of where the flange is on the bottom of the handle.

I thought when I installed the chute that the handle was very, very light duty. Guess I was right.

I'm not very happy right now. I feel they should have sent me a new handle out instead of me having to ship mine to them on my dime, wait for the repair and return. Especially since this is a problem they admittedly know about.

Shady Brook
06-22-2006, 08:57 PM
I feel your pain. I am so used to having a chute blocker, it is very hard for me to mow without one! I can understand your frustration, I would want a unit asap. At least if one was on the way, you could weld the handle and get by til the new one showed up. They must be constructed differently then the way they used to be. I am planning on getting another one, now I am a bit concerned!

Good luck

captken
06-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Well, they are taking care of me as far as "repairing" my handle, or that's what he said. The handle is completely and cleanly broken the entire radius of where the flange is on the bottom of the handle.

I thought when I installed the chute that the handle was very, very light duty. Guess I was right.

I'm not very happy right now. I feel they should have sent me a new handle out instead of me having to ship mine to them on my dime, wait for the repair and return. Especially since this is a problem they admittedly know about.

I cannot believe you broke the handle. With the s<<t I have run into with my mower. The handle on mine is 4 years old and has not been a problem. I think that if you broke this weld, I'd have you send it in for a look see. You can see that it is a one inch [1"] weld. This is a picture of one side of the weld at the base of the handle, [where it attaches] on the other side is another one inch [1"] weld.
So quit bitching:cry: you had to have been negligent to break that weld...,you are not telling the truth imho.kenny

ps. sorry for the fuzzy image, my camera will not macro well.

As far as placement is concerned, in regards to a previous post, it is in a logical position, located just to the right of the mower's right control lever, and is well placed for you to open and shut on the fly, without looking for it. The negative comment is from someone who have not even tried the unit, how would they know and give a knowledgeable qualified answer? kenny.

Shady Brook
06-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Design change:

Dale said they did make some changes. They are making the flap out of a different material, and it has more options as far as how open you can leave the flap. He also said it is designed differently so less grass gets tossed up on the deck. I do not know if the handle mechanism is different though.

My worker just had the steering handle break on him at the bolt that allows you to move the handle forward or backward for comfort. How can you break the handle of a Super Z????

captken
06-23-2006, 10:07 PM

My worker just had the steering handle break on him at the bolt that allows you to move the handle forward or backward for comfort. How can you break the handle of a Super Z????[/QUOTE]

Possibly....
Like I did, with the Hustler on the trailer, I was using the handle as a grab bar to pull myself up on the trailer, [from the side of the trailer] so I could get on the mower!:cry: broke clean into...nice new weld there! and a lesson learned....don't use that nice lever as a hand hold to pull a 210 man upon your trailer....cheers, kenny:waving:

Green-Pro
06-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Do they make a model of chute blocker for Scags?

FIRESCOOBY
06-24-2006, 01:42 AM
I cannot believe you broke the handle. With the s<<t I have run into with my mower. The handle on mine is 4 years old and has not been a problem. I think that if you broke this weld, I'd have you send it in for a look see. You can see that it is a one inch [1"] weld. This is a picture of one side of the weld at the base of the handle, [where it attaches] on the other side is another one inch [1"] weld.
So quit bitching:cry: you had to have been negligent to break that weld...,you are not telling the truth imho.kenny

ps. sorry for the fuzzy image, my camera will not macro well.

As far as placement is concerned, in regards to a previous post, it is in a logical position, located just to the right of the mower's right control lever, and is well placed for you to open and shut on the fly, without looking for it. The negative comment is from someone who have not even tried the unit, how would they know and give a knowledgeable qualified answer? kenny.

Can't tell much from the picture you posted, but my handle was/is not a solid piece and was only welded around the perimeter of the tube. The tube is only about an 1/16-1/8" thick, so that is not much to be welded. The handle itself is very, very light.

I'm very glad though that your an expert on my situation though. Glad to have your opinion.:rolleyes: Of course opinions are like ......

captken
06-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Can't tell much from the picture you posted, but my handle was/is not a solid piece and was only welded around the perimeter of the tube. The tube is only about an 1/16-1/8" thick, so that is not much to be welded. The handle itself is very, very light.

I'm very glad though that your an expert on my situation though. Glad to have your opinion.:rolleyes: Of course opinions are like ......

Didn't mean to be harsh...just that it would be very difficult to break the one that I have, kenny.:waving:

DLS1
06-24-2006, 07:50 AM
I have one on my Hustler Super Z for about 3 years and no problems. Could be luck of the draw bad weld on the handle or someone really abused the handle. Not many moving parts and all sturdy is what I like about it. I used it all the time to keep grass out of flower beds,etc.

Billy Hardy
06-24-2006, 12:53 PM
All I can say is don't ever bump up against anything with the unit or it will bend like butter! I called Dale Strange and he said there is nothing he can do with them and both of mine are bent.Life goes on.

FIRESCOOBY
06-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Well, he admitted that they changed the design of the handle recently, they have had "a few broke", and they are "hurrying to get a new stronger handle done within the next week or so".

With all that coming from GTM, it is pretty obvious that anyone that has had a Qwikchute very recently has not got the same unit as someone that got one in the past.

cutnedge
07-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Has anyone had any problem with pushing the handle forward (raising the chute block) only to have the block raise up and immediately fall back down to the mulch position?

Shady Brook
07-12-2006, 07:37 PM
cutnedge

I have not had that problem with my old unit as long as I push it all the way forward. Is the linkage area clear of debris? I put penatrating oil on all the moving parts periodically.

I like your avatar!

Shady Brook
08-02-2006, 09:32 PM
I just got a new qwikchute for my xr7 deck Super Z..... It's very different! The handle on this one is very light tube, nothing compared to my old handle. Mabye it is strong....we will see. It has three discharge settings instead of two. The flap is made of a heavy plastic material instead of steel. It has some play in it, and I can not get it to have a good seal. Grass blowout is tremendous. I have to try to tighten the linkage as a heavy grass load will blow the door completely open. From talking to Dale, he does not think it will handle a big volume and remain closed as the grass has to go somewhere. All I know is that I get a positive lockdown with the old unit, and I can keep my beds clean. I don't think that is going to happen with the new unit. The added a piece of plastic to keep grass from flying up on you when the chute is partially open, but I get covered in grass from the blowout anyway.

Will I get used to the unit....Maybe. Will some adjustments help...probably. Do I believe it is as efficient, or strong a unit as I have on my Super Z, or had on my Super mini... Nope.

So, for those who compare the performance of their old unit to the new ones without having used the new units, be careful what you say. They are vastly different.

Dale is great as usual, I have always enjoyed talking to him, I just don't think I am going to like this unit near as much, and at this point, if I can not get a better seal I may just take it off all together.

Just a little info from my perspective.