PDA

View Full Version : New Road Installation

Duramax8832
06-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Im hopeing some of the site guys here can help me out on this one. For 1,000 feet of road with water, sewer,and electric. I have been quoted aprox 1,000 bucks a foot. That includes stripping out the top soil and bringing in processed gravel in 1ft compacted lifts. No trees or stumps to deal with, it's old farm pasture. I understand without a plan to go buy this is a shot in the dark for you guys to figure. Im contemplating doing it myself, i have done it many times working for someone, but this would be the first time as the developer.

Then this brings us to equiment needs. Im thinking a 200 size excavator, a 410 backhoe and a 550 0r 650 dozer. I know there will be more down the road, but thats just to get the project moving.. Any advice on either topic would be greatly apreiated

olderthandirt
06-21-2006, 10:53 PM
I knew a guy that tried this once by himself and had quite a bit of knowledge on the subject. The trouble he ran into was there was a "wet" section of the farm field that was not even close to the new rd. but the water table was, cost him an extra 200K to pump in crete to firm the rd and the inspectors gave him hell on every turn since he was not a "certified" IE tax paying contractor.
Good Luck

Duramax8832
06-21-2006, 10:55 PM
we are set up all legal beagle to do all aspects of the project. the good news is from the test holes, after the 2 ft of loam it's is nice sandy gravel as deep as the hoe would dig

Dirt Digger2
06-21-2006, 11:00 PM
as for the stone 8 inches of 3A modified will be plenty, a backhoe or mini excavator is sufficent for the trench, but a trackhoe and dozer is overkill. Get a trackloader (953C size) and a small doubledrum roller. Driveways, esspecially flat ones are easy installs. right now i'm working on a 2000 foot diveway where 200 loads of dirt had to be trucked out because of it being cut into the bank. we're installing the infiltration pits now. All that work was done with a 955 trackloader and a small dozer just to shape the banks and push the big pile higher.

Gravel Rat
06-21-2006, 11:19 PM
It depends on soil conditions and without seeing what you have to work with there is no easy answer.

If its really mucky and soft your going to need some blasted rock something broke down to 6-8 inch minus material. You walk that in with a excavator so it sinks into the soft stuff you may need quite abit if it keeps sinking in. All you need to do is spread it with the excavator and run over it with the machine. Once you have the base down then you build up the top with 3/4" road base the road is done. For the utility lines you will run those on the side of the driveway.

You really don't need to strip the surface soil off unless its tall grass just go over the topsoil.

You will have to have quite abit of rock dumped and a base started so the dump truck can back up and dump you spread it out and the truck dumps another load. There is no way a dump truck will beable to back into a soft field it will sink out of site.

ksss
06-22-2006, 12:10 AM
1000 dollars a foot seems like a lot of money. However, like GR said kinda hard from a keyboard to second guess someones bid. You wouldn't need a lot of equipment to build this yourself. I have built roads up to 500' with just my 95XT and roller. These were stripping topsoil laying out pitrun, compacting in lifts and topping the road with 3/4 roadbase, ready for asphalt. Engineering firms will blue stake it for if you have certain elevations you need to hit. Not difficult, nor do you need a lot of equipment you just need to be able to hit grade. Easy day. It maybe cost effective to have guys with scrapers come in and strip the topsoil and you handle the rest of the job. Around here the guys with the Steigers and Quad tracs pulling two and three pans can move 25 yards per pan. It doesn't take long believe me. After the topsoil is moved you bring in trucks of pitrun and lay them out in lifts. You may need to rent a water truck. There is nothing difficult about any of it. I probably wouldn't use an excavator on this job unless I owned one and was forgoing the pans. However even then you will be handling the matterial several times more than likely. Pans would be more productive.

Squizzy246B
06-22-2006, 12:32 AM
we are set up all legal beagle to do all aspects of the project. the good news is from the test holes, after the 2 ft of loam it's is nice sandy gravel as deep as the hoe would dig

Hey Duramax, just a question..whats your chance of cutting the loam (or some) from the top into some big piles, dig a big hole (if you have room) and quarry up some of the gravelly stuff for the sub-base, then push the loam/grass etc into the hole???. If its through a paddock it shouldn't provide a problem if its rolled....Some pics of the site would be good.

The double drum roller is the way to go. We are doing a couple of thousand feet at the moment and the neighbour let use use his 5 ton vibratory double drum for free...Bonus.:drinkup:

tylermckee
06-22-2006, 02:27 AM
I would just do everything with an excavator, if i had a dozer i would probably bring it in, but we dont have one. get a couple of trucks running and load out the top soil, bring in some sub base materail (rock or pit run), then cap with something like some 1 1/4 crushed rock.

Squizzy has a good idea about mining your own material, if there is an area where you can dig a giant hole and stuff your top soil in that you could cut your trucking and material costs in half if not more.

Scag48
06-22-2006, 02:50 AM
I don't know what would be faster, loading truck by truck with an excavator or using a D5N or D6R to strip topsoil and grade the road, the load the stripped soil into trucks. I'd bring in a dozer to spread your pit run, but I think a 200 size excavator constantly loading trucks could knock out a good chunk of the excavation. Trenching the 1000' shouldn't take too long, so the majority of the job is stripping and grading. It's a big project, but nothing spectacular. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on yourself, there isn't one aspect that is difficult in the least bit. Just make the grade and keep on truckin'.

Dirt Digger2
06-22-2006, 07:36 AM
to keep costs down a 20 ton trackhoe is too much...if you do go the trackhoe route a 12 or 15 ton is more then enough.

Duramax8832
06-22-2006, 08:48 AM
We have the 20 ton in the works for another project. The far side of this small development is an old gravel pit. Still has a lot of material in it too. I think even if i was to rent screen and spend a week screening id still be way ahead of the game as supposed to buying the material from a gravel company. A guy is buying the topsoil, thats why i really wanna handle it once put it on the truck and say good bye to it.

jazak
06-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Post some pics of where you want to put the road. That will help us better understand what you will need to do.

scholzee
06-22-2006, 10:23 AM
$1000 per foot 1000 feet = $1,000,000. That seems high for that road were you really quoted $1m ?

janb
06-22-2006, 11:17 AM
$1000 per foot 1000 feet = $1,000,000. That seems high for that road were you really quoted $1m ?

yeah, check your options... I'm having to one done right now (road / w/ water and sewer), and unfortunately (?) I'm not doing it myself...

so benchmark prices, (we are very expensive area, high growth, high $$$ residents, lots of permitting/enviro)

$200/ft = utilities + road and curb and gutters + sidewalks - (on virgin 'farm soil') we are at 12'-15' deep

$40/ft for water (8" DI, bedded) and sewer (8" PVC)

scholzee
06-22-2006, 01:53 PM
How many lots can you sell on a 1000 ft road 10 per side 20 lots, thats $50K per lot to break even with 100ft frontage.

Duramax8832
06-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Ill scan the plan and post the layout. It's hard to explain, it's only 10 lots, 7 of them are water front. 4 lots on the water are gonna be customs that people have already designed, so soon as the road gets in the excavator will be putting in cellar holes. As far as i know the custom are gonna be in the 650,000 to 800,000 range..Must be nice to have money.

d.l.gordon construction
06-24-2006, 11:57 AM
$1000. A foot is high. If there is no clearing, stump and grub, no significant erosion control provisions or wetland replication, your cost should be between $700-$800k .

I wouldnít use anything less than a 200 class excavator, d5 or d6 dozer and a loader with minimum 2-3 yard bucket capacity (donít forget vibratory roller rental cost). if your road width is 28ft x 1000, and 12Ē of loam your going to have a 1000+ cu.yds of material to load, you donít want to load that much material with a 1.5 cu.yd. bucket, and donít forget the 500-600 yds. of road bed going back in.

Hey, if its an old farm pasture you could do this job with a pick and a shovel, but you want to bang it out quick and get the binder coat down so you can start pulling building permits. Even if you do this project yourself youíll probably have to borrow $400-$500k, your carrying costs during construction, interest alone, will be around $5000. a month. Get it done fast.

How much did you get for the loam?

Duramax8832
06-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Im not positive i didnt make the deal, but i wana say 6 bucks a yard. And then we can buy whatever we need screened back from him at a reduced rate. I got a brandy new Deere 200 for the this job on it's way. I just cant imagine doing it all with a mini or a backhoe. I'll keep ya guys posted.