PDA

View Full Version : new walk behind

SONSCAPES
06-21-2006, 09:57 PM
my company bought its 1st wb today we had all z's until now. my question is what is the best pattern to cut with a wb i see it to be difficult to cut patterns like a z any help would be appreciated

topsites
06-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Hmmm, depends some on controls... With pistol-grips / ecs, the favored pattern seems to be back-and-forth where with T-bars, the racetrack lends itself easier but here's a cool trick:

When you first get started, make TWO perimeter runs (two complete laps) around the entire yard with the discharge chute facing IN to the center (or AWAY from the street / driveway / house). Do this also around beds and stuff. Once that is done, cut however you like - If you're doing the racetrack, turn around and face the chute OUT and keep going inwards, if you're striping, then it doesn't matter but:

The two perimeter laps cut out a nice area not only for you to play around in but now you get a LOT less clippings out into the street and other surfaces, you can cut away not even mind the clippings and less cleanup! On SOME mowers the chute discharges at a considerable distance so 3 perimeter laps may be required thou 2 usually does the trick.

Also if you're doing the racetrack, first you shoot the clippings IN to keep them off paved surfaces, then once you have some distance you turn around and shoot them back OUT - voila, they're spread evenly (less clumping anyway).

You may still have to double-cut some.

Hope that helps.

Premo Services
06-21-2006, 10:34 PM
my question is what is the best pattern to cut with a wb i see it to be difficult to cut patterns like a z any help would be appreciated

I have a lazer ands a 60 inch exmark walk behind mower with ecs controls and hydro drive.and can cut the same patterns. with both mowers. Give it a little time to get used to the mower.

PaulJ
06-22-2006, 05:03 AM
YOu must not have bought a hydro. with a hydro WB you cut back and forth turning just like a z. YOu can do the same thing with a belt drive if your walking you just have to use some muscle to pull that inside wheel back at during the turns or you make an extra perimeter pass or two and make a wider turn at the end.

Don't do circles because then you end up in the same track everytime go back and forth and change direction each time. And try not to go in the same wheel tracks with your perimeter passes either. It's better for the grass, it helps prevent rutting and it looks better.

Idealtim
06-22-2006, 10:09 AM
I have a lazer ands a 60 inch exmark walk behind mower with ecs controls and hydro drive.and can cut the same patterns. with both mowers. Give it a little time to get used to the mower.

yea, what he said.

SONSCAPES
06-24-2006, 10:26 AM
thanks for the help so i can go back and forth even with jungle wheels btw the mower is a toro hydro pistol grip thanks

PaulJ
06-25-2006, 05:16 PM
If you have a jungle wheels sulky you will have to make a bit wider of a turn because that type of sulky doesn't let you use the hydro type WB to it's full potential.

hillndale
06-25-2006, 06:48 PM
If you have a jungle wheels sulky you will have to make a bit wider of a turn because that type of sulky doesn't let you use the hydro type WB to it's full potential.

Off topic, but... which sulky do you reccommend for optimum use with hydro WB?

many thanks

hillndale

PaulJ
06-25-2006, 11:33 PM
You need a fixed sulky with castor wheels like the bullrider or Lesco's to take full advantage of a hydro with this type of sulky you can make true zero turns (with inside wheel going i reverse while the outside one is going forward) and even back up without stepping of the sulky or even worrying about it jackknifing.