PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Cool Down

danmc
06-21-2006, 11:05 PM
We have a brand spanking new 2006 F350 6.0 PSD, auto, tow command with a 9' Crysteel dump body. Anyways, how many people let their diesels sit and idle before shutting the engine off? Has anyone noticed any advantages/disadvantages of letting them idle or not before shutting down?
Yes, always
No, never
Sometimes

Thanks,
Dan

greenscapes,inc.
06-22-2006, 12:14 AM
I will let mine cool down for a bit if it has been working hard. The purpose of letting it cool down is because the turbo is hot and when you shut down your truck the oil stops flowing causing the oil to bake inside the turbo. If you let it idle for a little bit then the turbo will cool down. I have owned several powerstrokes and I have never been one to let then cool down for a long period of time, maybe 30 sec to a min if they have been working hard and I have never had any turbo problems.

shortgut
06-22-2006, 12:24 AM
If you do not want to cook the Turbo you will be smart to do this Idle cool down give the turbo a chance to cool down a bit they even have what they call a turbo cool down timer you can cut the key off and put the key in your pocket lock the truck with the engine running and when the turbo either cools down to a pre determined temp or it is set up on a time based value it will shut down on it's own Check this site out ( www.bd-power.com/ford/product.php?pn=BD%20Cool%20Down%20Timer&tt=ford)

Good luck ! How do you like your Ford so far, any problems yet? I had to go to the local ford house 2 times this week and both times they had a 04 and a 05 with the whole cab lifted off the frame while they did a head gasket repair . I about fell out when I ask how many hrs they would charge for replacing head gaskets on a Powerstroke 6.0 and they told me that that Ford warranty allowed 35 hrs I said OH!!! SH**
I told my self right then that my 04 would be traded before the 100,000 mile warranty runs out on the truck

MarksTLC
06-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Yes, I do let it cool. Everytime. Call me lame, whatever. I drive it like it's stolen. In my trucks particular case, I let it cool to about 350 deg. That normally means sitting for a minute on cold days and up to four on really hot ones. A friend of mine has an 06 Dodge and his EGT's read about 120 deg higher than mine at any given time, so his numbers are of course a bit different.

lawnmaniac883
06-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Always let the diesel cool down before shutoff. If not towing then only for about 15 - 30 seconds depending on how I was driving it prior to parking. If towing then about a minute of cool down time. This will save your turbocharger from getting cooked.

Dirty Water
06-22-2006, 10:31 PM
All you have to do is give it a short amount of time for the oil to circulate in the turbocharger while the turbo cools down. Remember that most turbochargers have fluid bearings, and not all are fluid cooled beyond the oil.

While 30 seconds to a minute might be annoying, a $2500 turbocharger replacement at the dealer makes it worth it.

The only time you don't need to cool a turbo down is if you happen to have a ball bearing shaft turbocharger, but I can't think of any medium duty diesels that come with one.

danmc
06-22-2006, 11:25 PM
shortgut - so far it's been great, we've only had it for a week though. i like the engine hour meter - we have 12.1 hours on it. i'm a fan of the the crysteel body - it has fold down sides so it's easy to get stuff in and out of it. the only drawback to that is the actual height of the sides is tiny (i'm guessing 6 inches tall) compared to a rugby dump. but then again, anything is better than what we've been doing - we used to unload everything out of pickup beds (logs, grass, branches, dirt, gravel - you name it). generally speaking, i let it idle for around a minute or two. i let our skidsteer idle for about five minutes before shutting it down because of the type of work it does....

Scag48
06-24-2006, 03:53 AM
I'm a complete freak about cool down on our equipment and I usually let the trucks idle for about 1 minute or so before shutting down, but hear me out with this one. Most of the lunatics that buy diesel trucks, just your average joe, has no clue that you're supposed to cool them down before turning it off. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all know that most folks who buy their trucks will not perform proper cool down procedures and wouldn't put a motor in a truck that had to be cooled every shutdown for at least 2 minutes to avoid premature turbo failure. With that said, I still cool mine down a little bit because it doesn't hurt to be safe and it's second nature to me anymore, but I really don't think you're going to see dramatically increased turbo life by sticking with a hardcore cool down regime.

Tim Wright
06-24-2006, 09:14 AM
I cool down all of my engines, gas, diesel, air cooled, and liquid cooled.

Tim

PROCUT1
06-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Shove it in park and turn off the key.

LawnGuy73
06-24-2006, 10:12 AM
I do sometimes, if its been working hard. Otherwise, no.

coyotekid
06-24-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm anal about it. I have a turbo-timer installed in my Duramax and always let it cool at least 1 minute but up to 5 minutes if it's been pulling really hard all day long.

I think it's a wise practice...

Green Grass
06-24-2006, 04:54 PM
If you have been towing with the truck you should let the truck idel for about three min to allow the turbo to slow down if you do not do this you will have to replace turbo's often.