PDA

View Full Version : Selling your service over lowballers.

jimmbo407
06-22-2006, 05:00 AM
Here is the discussion on this thread. How do you sell your lawn care service over a lowballer. We all know there are lowballers out there. I was ignorant to a many things when I first started and look back and realize I was a lowballer my first year in bussiness. So again we know they are out there, we have all read threads (including one I started) compaining about them.

My whole thing is what I can tell current and potential customers to sell my service.

Currently my sales pitch is focused mostly on the fact that I am not a young kid but an established business with licences and insurance. I try to focus on the fact that I can take care of problems and accidents that can potectially happen when you mow grass. And of course I also focus on quailty of work.

In the end I would like to know what other sales approaches you may use to deal with someone that is willing to cut lawns for a quarter to half the amount that you and I are willing to mow. This includes your current customers that have been approached by a cheaper service and also potectial cuatomers that are shopping for a service.

jwscroll
06-22-2006, 05:54 AM
The obvious response would be to tell them that you get what you pay for. I like the way someone else put it "You want ground chuck or filet mignon."
One angle that I use is to be completely up front with the prices and explain what each charge is for. I did the math for a contract right in front of a customer the other day, that was when they decided to go for the full service package, because they were able to see exactly where their money was going and that my company was not hiding anything in the numbers.

MOW ED
06-22-2006, 06:35 AM
I know you have just been here a while and there are literally volumes written on this in the archives but I will give you a little solicited advice. I have found that your service sells itself, not the opposite. You do what you do for a certain price. If you do good work your best advertisement (at least mine) is that word of mouth sells you to others. Yes you have to be established and it appears that you have done that and have adjusted your rates to reflect your business costs.
There are many types of customers in the world. You cannot have them all or please them all. You certainly will not appeal to all because of your price. You have to appeal to the customer that fits the way YOU work and charge in order to make money and be happy with what you are doing.
There is always a "shopper" type of customer but we all have that in us. If you find out that a gas station is selling gas for 1.50 a gallon, I am thinking that you would get gas there as long as you could. Assuming it was basically the same gas that the other stations were selling for at least a dollar a gallon more. But what would it take for you to pay that extra dollar a gallon? That may be where you are at in your business. You have to show that you have something of greater value and you have to find the customer that wants it. Leave the other ones for the lowballers, they will eventually go out of business. The shopper will always shop. Its a tall order to find a good core group but once accomplished, life and business is good.
Keep providing good service, absolutely know your prices and costs of business and stick with it. Eventually it comes together if you are doing it right. Good Luck in your business.

Stretch
06-22-2006, 09:40 AM
The really bad lowballers think they are making money until a piece of equipment breaks, or the transmission goes on their truck. Then all of the money they were satisfied with making goes into repair or replacement...or was already spent on beer and beef jerkey. You just have to be polite to the shopper and make sure they have your number:) they will eventually call back

Sandgropher
06-22-2006, 09:53 AM
A good customer and a good LCO always finds each other in the end :usflag:

topsites
06-22-2006, 09:58 AM
My whole thing is what I can tell current and potential customers to sell my service.

I don't say squat, the proof is in the pudding, you get what you pay for and action speaks louder than any words:

Always give estimates the same day they call! If you miss the call, return it asap then go get that estimate to them, I pride myself on knowing I've given estimates within 30 minutes of their original call. It's not so much who gives the cheapest estimate, it's more about who gives the FIRST estimate, do they want to wait for the other guy? Turn it up a notch!

Once they approve the work or they ask when it can be done, whatever day you tell them you need to make 100% sure you show up THAT day and get it done! If you can not do it, call and let them know but do NOT leave them hanging. BLAM! The higher your prices, the sooner you can get it done, see how that works. Yes because if you're too cheap, your schedule is full but if you're high, you got time to get'r done. Oh yes, we can have this one done right now, would you like that?

In short, BE the man. Don't talk about the horses via a sales pitch but HAVE the horses already there, talk is cheap and everybody has a good line (and most of it is bs). You come up to me with your sales pitch, you're done before you finish the first sentence - Can you do the work or are you going to stand around bs'ing? So get the work done, talk is wasting time.

If a customer says so-and-so can do it cheaper... Now I am thinking What am I doing here? My answer: Thank you for your time.

Be all that.
Yup, yup.

Lynden-Jeff
06-22-2006, 10:25 AM
My selling Points:

1. Im reliable and work on Contract
2. I have insurance and im a registered business
3. I have proper commercial grade equiptment
4. I have a professional image.

If they would rather a dude with a mower in the back of his pickup so be it but they will regret it eventually.

Cheers
Jeff

Idealtim
06-22-2006, 11:41 AM
I do the math with the homeowner on the hood of my truck with a pen and pad. They see that the 'lowballer' couldn't pay for insurance and all that other good stuff by what there charging. Its true, you get what you pay for. The person eventually sees eye to eye with me and makes the right choice. If they are stubborn, see you later and call me when this guy doesn't work out. They know by the math I'm not ripping them and my rates are acceptable. Not to mention the quality of my cut is superior to some joe.

Mower For Less
06-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Once they approve the work or they ask when it can be done, whatever day you tell them you need to make 100% sure you show up THAT day and get it done! If you can not do it, call and let them know but do NOT leave them hanging. BLAM! The higher your prices, the sooner you can get it done, see how that works. Yes because if you're too cheap, your schedule is full but if you're high, you got time to get'r done. Oh yes, we can have this one done right now, would you like that?

WHAT DID YOU SAY??? :hammerhead:

toac
06-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Ask the potential customer questions. A sales pitch is not telling a customer what you think would be good for them. It should be telling the customer you can do what they want you to do. It's a whole lot easier to ask the customer what they are looking for in a lawn care professional. If they say the lowest price then you know to walk away.

HighGrass
06-22-2006, 05:53 PM
If it's not a referral, you have to sell the service.

If it is a referral, you're half way there in terms of the service selling itself. (Other wise they wouldn't have called)

Lawn service is no different than any other product in world. If you want the job, sell it. But I wouldn't put the insurance thing up front, instead, sell the experience, maturity, consistency, quality, integrity, and honesty. Offer referrals when appropriate.

jimmbo407
06-22-2006, 10:59 PM
This is a good discussion, thanks for the input. Its seems its better to discuss how to make your business better than grip about the lowballers.

one man gang
06-22-2006, 11:09 PM
I don't say squat, the proof is in the pudding, you get what you pay for and action speaks louder than any words:

Always give estimates the same day they call! If you miss the call, return it asap then go get that estimate to them, I pride myself on knowing I've given estimates within 30 minutes of their original call. It's not so much who gives the cheapest estimate, it's more about who gives the FIRST estimate, do they want to wait for the other guy? Turn it up a notch!

In short, BE the man. Don't talk about the horses via a sales pitch but HAVE the horses already there, talk is cheap and everybody has a good line (and most of it is bs). You come up to me with your sales pitch, you're done before you finish the first sentence - Can you do the work or are you going to stand around bs'ing? So get the work done, talk is wasting time.

If a customer says so-and-so can do it cheaper... Now I am thinking What am I doing here? My answer: Thank you for your time.

Be all that.
Yup, yup.

I'm almost always first to give the estimate and I find that it hurts before the season but pretty much is a lock after the grass is growing.