PDA

View Full Version : Stamped vs. Welded

Dashunde
06-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I recently watched a large JD tractor mow a large yard.
It produced a realllllly nice smooth and uniform cut, better than I can remember from any "commercial" mower that I have taken notice of.

So I got to thinking about how a quality stamped deck might be able to incorporate some complicated bends that control vacume, airflow, and discharge better than a deck made of welded flat plate steel.

HighGrass
06-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm sure the JD guys will pipe in here. For me, unless that deck was stamped using a Hydroform process, I'd really like to see the life span of it. I owna Scag and a Exmark. Both have welded decks and can withstand a lot of punishment. I just done't know if theres that much un-biased research out there.

Imow4u2
06-22-2006, 08:05 PM
I have yet to see a stamped deck that will cut at 4" plus like my chopper will. I have a stamped deck on my JD it's the same one they used all the way up til '02 or '03. It's heavy but the blade speed is slow and it's far from being very deep. I realize that the new 7 iron is alot better but if you crash it or bend the spindle area it's a new deck shell for sure:cry:

specialtylc
06-22-2006, 10:27 PM
I havent seen a difference in cut quaility or performance between a commercial quality stamped deck and a fabricated one. I put almost 2000 hours on my old ZD21 and have never had anything go wrong with the deck.

deereman
06-23-2006, 12:10 AM
The Deeres decks are stamped to perfection! And if you could bend one of those it would almost have to be intensional. And I would not want to be on that machine while it hit whatever it should hit to bend it. It takes a FULL 4MILLION pounds of pressure to make the 7-Iron deck!

jimmbo407
06-23-2006, 12:21 AM
My Great Dane has a stamped deck. It seems to do just fine on the everyday mowing. I get a lot of compiments. However when the grass gets deep, it really clogs up. I have a hard time on the Chem Lawn, True Green Lawns if I don't get there twice a week. I do have to say I have very little experience with other mowers. I have a really good Great Dane, Ferris Dealer and those are the only two ZTR's I have tried.

David Haggerty
06-23-2006, 06:48 PM
It seems the deck design would affect the quality of the cut. Not the method of manufacture.
My Toro's deck is welded together from stampings. It's a nice deep deck that doesn't clump unless it's really tall grass.
I noticed when Kubota offered a "commercial" deck on their ZTR's it was a fabricated deck in lieu of their stamped one. It was a deeper deck.
The stamped decks are the ones with limitations, not the fabricated ones.
I agree JD's worked out some of the limitations with their new 7 iron deck. But I was just reading in a trade magazine that manufacturers are offering deeper and deeper decks. Like they say "It's back to the drawing board" for JD.

Personally I'd like to see decks a foot deep designed for double blades to mulch heavy clippings.

Maybe Bush-Hog will offer their double bladed deck on their ZTR. It has counter-rotating double blades!

HighGrass
06-24-2006, 12:38 PM
My comment regarding method of manufacture was just that some times a stamped metal component, can be thinner around curved areas if hydrofroming isn't involved. Since I don't have a stamped deck, I don't know if it's even relevant.