PDA

View Full Version : What kind of gas can do you use?

Damian
06-22-2006, 06:53 PM
I've been using old Rubbermaid/Gott 2.5 gallon cans for years and until a week ago, was happy with them...but then I lost one of the caps that goes on the end of the nozzle.

I went to Wal-mart yesterday to find a replacement and found they don't make those anymore. I did see the Blitz cans that claim to be spill-proof, though. After reading some comments at another forum, I'm glad I didn't buy one.

So, what kind of cans does everyone use for their 2-cycle equipment? And does anone have a spare endcap? :)

mowerman90
06-22-2006, 07:02 PM
They used to make replacement caps for the old Rubermaids. If you can't find any go to a hardware store and get an old fashioned cork. That's what a friend of mine does.

Damian
06-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I bought a replacement cap something like four years ago when the last one was lost.

Howie's Lawn Care
06-22-2006, 07:19 PM
I use the blitz ones and I like them pretty well. I know they are spill proof because they fall over all the time after I fill them and put them in my truck bed. I filled my 4 5 gallong ones the other day and just sat them in the bed and two of them fell over because I didn't secure them at all. They didn't leak at all though.

I have the following ones and recommend them.

2x 1 Gallon
3x 2.5 Gallon
4x 5 Gallon

-Nick Howard

AintNoFun
06-22-2006, 07:22 PM
i switched all my crews the heavy metal blitz cans... no more spills and it helps keep all the dust and crap outta the tanks when the guys are blowing.. ive also heard rumors that the plastic cans are outlawed in NJ for travel but i never researched it..

gqnine44
06-22-2006, 07:39 PM
No-spill cans all the way. Anything else would be stupid.

http://www.no-spill.com/

wriken
06-22-2006, 08:14 PM

About how much are they, the 5 gal ones?

topsites
06-22-2006, 08:39 PM
I still have a couple of old style Craftsman / Sears cans, before they made the switch, those were the best ever made, sure wished I had bought more of them at the time.

Luvs2Play
06-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Blitz are crap. I have some of those caps if they are the black ones that are about 1 1/4 " in diameter. I don't use them anymore. Let me know if you want some.

Freddy_Kruger
06-22-2006, 08:42 PM
I bought a 6.5 gallon gas can but its too fricken heavy I only fill it half way. lol.

This new gas can has a breather on the spout so you don't need to take off the little yellow cap at the back.

Jason Rose
06-22-2006, 08:54 PM

That's the can I have for my mix can (2.5 gallon) I love it! Had it about 5 years and it's not broken yet!

Glad to see they have 5 gallon models. I too have rubbermaid/briggs & stratton 5 gallon cans and love them but can't replace them! Can't find spouts for them anymore either around here. When i'd run across them I'd buy like 3 so Id have them. They really don't last long, maybe 1 season each.

Damian: I DO have about a half dozen of the little black caps for the ends of the spouts! I always saved all the parts when I'd have to replace one, lol

What i ended up doing was going to Lowes and finding some clear reinforced hose, 1" ID I believe, and slipping it over the stub that was left of the spout and clamping it on (had to heat it some to get it on there good). Works great, used 3/4" PVC caps for the ends, problem is that the hose just shrunk a little and now the caps won't stay on...

lawnmaniac883
06-22-2006, 11:01 PM
The new "self venting" cans are complete garbage. I wish blitz would make the cans with the yellow cap on the back and spout on the front again. It is bad enough having to lift a 5 gallon gas can when full, it is even more punishing when the gas flows out the nozzle at 1 ounce per minute...

Still have one of the rubbermaid/B&S cans for my straight gas. Wish they still made those suckers; my little vent cap is busted though so it leaks a little when hitting bumps but oh well.

nbizati
06-23-2006, 12:13 AM
I agree I hate the newer blitz gas cans. They are a pain to fill my smaller two cycle machines. I think there are laws out that require the manufacterer to produce this type of spout. Maybe one guy out there blew himself up now we all got to suffer.:hammerhead:

P & L Turf
06-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Any vent-less can is a waste of money.

KS_Grasscutter
06-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Wow, didnt know they still made the no-spill cans...Guess I will have to go pick up a bunch of them tomorrow! I currently have the "self venting" ones, and as soon as i pick up the new ones, they will be GONE...

ALL Around Xteriors
06-23-2006, 01:02 AM
I agree I hate the newer blitz gas cans. They are a pain to fill my smaller two cycle machines. I think there are laws out that require the manufacterer to produce this type of spout. Maybe one guy out there blew himself up now we all got to suffer.:hammerhead:

LOL:laugh: I feel the same way.

P & L Turf
06-23-2006, 01:08 AM
These new cans that are out today that are vent less or self venting are more trouble than their worth. One they take for ever to fill things up , And second you end up spilling more fuel on the smaller pieces of equipment with the self venting crap than you would with the old style ones.

Damian
06-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Blitz are crap. I have some of those caps if they are the black ones that are about 1 1/4 " in diameter. I don't use them anymore. Let me know if you want some..

Yes, I would really appreciate getting a couple. Thank you.

I sent my info to you in a private message.

Again, thanks.

topsites
06-23-2006, 01:58 PM
The new "self venting" cans are complete garbage.

Thank you, I couldn't agree more, the whole batch of them is like that, doesn't matter what brand they are all POS.

olderthandirt
06-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Use the old red metal ones that are like army surplus. And love them

DAVEY PROS
06-23-2006, 03:21 PM
No-Spill gas cans. Period. Says It All Right There!

MarcSmith
06-23-2006, 03:36 PM
eagle Can with the Spring loaded lids....and they are steel. so they can take a bit of abuse.....a bit pricey. the last ones i baught were around 30 bucks...but getting hauled in and out of golf carts and gators and tipping over, I had to send the plastic ones packing.

mowerman90
06-23-2006, 03:57 PM
After posting earlier in this thread I remembered that the cap on one of my "No-Spill" cans had a crack in one of the caps. I emailed the company last night telling them about it and asking if replacement caps were availible. To my surprise, today, after coming home there was an email waiting for me from No-Spill stating that they would be sending me several spare caps free of charge! Talk about customer service, that's hard to beat. They've earned a lifetime customer in me.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-23-2006, 05:24 PM
i currently use blitz ones, dont have to fill them that often though, i get the gas at the station in the machines usually/mowers at least.

My 5 gallon vents in the spout, takes a few seconds for a full tank to start venting constantly and flowing well but it goes.

anything i would want that went faster id get a race gas tank/can lol

Pepboys also has i think its a 20 or 25 gallon rolling portable container with 12v electric fuel pump with a fuel hose and handle just like at tkh gas station but smaller for like $100, i may one day but that.

rob7233
06-23-2006, 05:45 PM
I've been using old Rubbermaid/Gott 2.5 gallon cans for years and until a week ago, was happy with them...but then I lost one of the caps that goes on the end of the nozzle.

I went to Wal-mart yesterday to find a replacement and found they don't make those anymore. I did see the Blitz cans that claim to be spill-proof, though. After reading some comments at another forum, I'm glad I didn't buy one.

So, what kind of cans does everyone use for their 2-cycle equipment? And does anone have a spare endcap? :)

I had the same problem with the Gott cans about 9 months ago. I have the replacement nozzle kits for them. If you PM me, I can sell you one to help you out.

Tharrell
06-24-2006, 12:36 AM
I thought that's what the empty 20 ounce dew bottle was for.

MarcSmith
06-25-2006, 03:06 PM
I thought that's what the empty 20 ounce dew bottle was for.

Naw that's for your porta potty use.....