PDA

View Full Version : Customer Opinions - Stripes.. yes or no?

Dashunde
06-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Has anyone had a customer complain about them?
Are they really the mark of professionalism?
Are they worth all of the effort we put into them?

We have all seen countless threads about getting this mower or that mower to stripe and what kit works best, roller, flap, chain, blah blah blah...
Some have even said that they never thought about stripes until they came to Lawnsite.
Many of us take great care to make nice stripes... but in the end...
The real question is - Do our customers like the stripes???

I got my wb to stripe to the point that it almost looks, well... bad.
Not bad in terms of being wavy, messy, or inconsistent, but bad because they are very bold and almost obnoxious if your not partial to them.

I have a corner lot, that I have a small sign in, its a Bluegrass mix, and it stripes up very very well. It really does look great to me, but potential customers might hate it and avoid me.

Could stripes be running business off?? :cry:

dvmcmrhp52
06-22-2006, 07:47 PM
I've never heard a customer complain about striping, in fact it's only been compliments as to how nice it looks.

All_Clear
06-22-2006, 07:51 PM
In all honesty... Most customers are so busy with the daily grind.. they either don't notice or don't care.... If it's been cut thats all they care, last thing they want to do is mow after work.

All Clear

Imow4u2
06-22-2006, 07:51 PM
I would use your time answering all those phone calls you receive at the beginning of each season... Why does your mower cut that way?? How do you do that?? I have a Few new customers this season that switched over to me for the better appearance. The Service is just an added bonus that they receive...

bigjeeping
06-22-2006, 07:53 PM
As one of my high-end customers put it........ "the lawn looks really good but would you mind making the lines straighter"

I think they notice!

Mower For Less
06-22-2006, 08:02 PM
I have taken lawns at 20% over the going rate just because of stripes. I have lost lawns because of them too. Even though there may be some that dont like them, I believe to any customer who does the slightest research into the subject will see it is a mark of professionalism. And as long as I can command a premium for doing it, I'll keep doing it.

Kevin

topsites
06-22-2006, 08:41 PM
I've learned the only stripes that matter are anything fancier than plain straight lines back and forth, such as criss-cross designs and they need to be on class-B or better yards, anything else is a waste of time.

I find great care and attention needs to be paid to time of year, striping puts heavy stress on a lawn, stress that in times of hot droughts some lawns may not survive as easily as if I had just racetracked it once over.

And when a picture of your customer's yard graces not just your Web site but your Business credit card, someone is bound to notice.

Mower For Less
06-22-2006, 09:44 PM
striping puts heavy stress on a lawn

Striping does not impart any more stress than mowing. What are you talking about?

olderthandirt
06-22-2006, 09:53 PM
I've never heard a customer complain about striping, in fact it's only been compliments as to how nice it looks.

I agree BUT I also believe its just a passing fad
90% of the homeonwers are now striping there own lawns. To grow your business you need to stay ahead of the curve or fads, come up with something differnt and you will make a killing.

specialtylc
06-22-2006, 10:18 PM
I have never had a customer say anything about stripping.

All_Clear
06-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Striping does not impart any more stress than mowing. What are you talking about?

Your an idiot, how does having something flatten or laying all the grass over not cause stress? Especially on hot dry days like we've been having.... So now stripping is good for the grass :confused: :hammerhead:

Just because you have it out for topsites and what he posts... Man get a life!!!! If you have nothing better to do then follow around people in the forum i feel sorry for you, maybe trying using your internet trolling time to build a real business for yourself. It's one thing to disagree with someone, it's another to follow them and post stupid a$$ comments about everything they say!!!

Since your so smart... enlighten us oh wise one... how does stripping not "impart any more stress"?

All Clear

1MajorTom
06-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Your an idiot, how does having something flatten or laying all the grass over not cause stress? Especially on hot dry days like we've been having.... So now stripping is good for the grass :confused: :hammerhead:

Just because you have it out for topsites and what he posts... Man get a life!!!! If you have nothing better to do then follow around people in the forum i feel sorry for you, maybe trying using your internet trolling time to build a real business for yourself. It's on thing to disagree with someone, it's another to follow them and post stupid a$$ comments about everything they say!!!

Since your so smart... enlighten us oh wise one... how does stripping not "impart any more stress"?

All Clear

I suggest you do not resort to calling names, such as "you're an idiot". That is not going to be tolerated. There are better ways to express yourself than that.

However, I absolutely agree about what you said about him following topsites around. I have been watching this unfold, and i have every intention to not let this continue.

As for striping, I think striping is more important to the LCO than to the customer. In 8 years of business, we have never had someone call us for an estimate and say, "you will stripe my lawn won't you?" Infact, I don't even think most customers even notice the stripes we lay in their lawns. JMO

Mower For Less
06-22-2006, 10:48 PM

Just because you have it out for topsites and what he posts... Man get a life!!!! If you have nothing better to do then follow around people in the forum i feel sorry for you, maybe trying using your internet trolling time to build a real business for yourself. It's one thing to disagree with someone, it's another to follow them and post stupid a$$ comments about everything they say!!!

All Clear

First off, if your literacy skills where on par, you would see I responded to this post first, then topsites, then I checked on it, which I tend to do when I respond to a thread, and replied again.

Now, to respond to your other ignorant accusation on striping. If your deck were set up properly, and your blades where sharp like they should be, your mower would bend the grass naturally as you mow. By mowing back and forth you get stripes. If you mowed in a racetrack you would get two big stripes side by side. It does not matter which way the grass leans, it is going to lean one way or the other anyway. The stress of mowing is all that is imparted to the grass regardless of whether you mow back and forth or in a racetrack. If you are mowing to often in the hot weather your grass will be under stress. MOWING stress, not striping stress.

I challenge you to find any professionally published work that says anything to the contrary.

Kevin

Mower For Less
06-22-2006, 10:52 PM
However, I absolutely agree about what you said about him following topsites around. I have been watching this unfold, and i have every intention to not let this continue.

Is there a problem with expressing counterpoints in a public forum?

1MajorTom
06-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Is there a problem with expressing counterpoints in a public forum?
Not at all, but "early signs of stalking" come to mind. I've reviewed your posts, and I see the beginnings of something I don't like. :nono:
pm me if you have any other questions. I only addressed this here publicly because it was brought up here.

dvmcmrhp52
06-22-2006, 11:02 PM
"Striping is more important to the LCO than to the customer"??????

:rolleyes:
It all depends what type of customers you have I guess.
I suppose baseball fields are striped just because the lawnboys working at the stadium want to ride the mowers a little longer each day?

dvmcmrhp52
06-22-2006, 11:05 PM
First off, if your literacy skills where on par, you would see I responded to this post first, then topsites, then I checked on it, which I tend to do when I respond to a thread, and replied again.

Now, to respond to your other ignorant accusation on striping. If your deck were set up properly, and your blades where sharp like they should be, your mower would bend the grass naturally as you mow. By mowing back and forth you get stripes. If you mowed in a racetrack you would get two big stripes side by side. It does not matter which way the grass leans, it is going to lean one way or the other anyway. The stress of mowing is all that is imparted to the grass regardless of whether you mow back and forth or in a racetrack. If you are mowing to often in the hot weather your grass will be under stress. MOWING stress, not striping stress.

I challenge you to find any professionally published work that says anything to the contrary.

Kevin

This isn't quite proffessionally published but...........
Striping rollers and all others "stripe enhancing apparatus" will impart additional stress to the lawn. Very little, but some would exist.

1MajorTom
06-22-2006, 11:14 PM
"Striping is more important to the LCO than to the customer"??????

:rolleyes:
It all depends what type of customers you have I guess.
I suppose baseball fields are striped just because the lawnboys working at the stadium want to ride the mowers a little longer each day?

You have your opinion, I have mine. The customers we cut for are mostly elderly, they just like their grass neatly cut. People that buy baseball tickets to see big league games, aren't just elderly folks, so of course the stadium fields are going to be visually appealing. No one going to a game will be able to miss those eye popping stripes, they want that field to "pop", so fans oohh and ahh and remember how great the field looked. But 85 year old granny living on a half acre lot isn't really into stripes, and i'm speaking from customers we now service and have serviced for the last 8 years in our area.

As for what type of customers we have: we have customers that pay us each month on time, and who continue to keep our business thriving.

All_Clear
06-22-2006, 11:16 PM
I suggest you do not resort to calling names, such as "you're an idiot". That is not going to be tolerated. There are better ways to express yourself than that.

My apologies!

It just gets real old reading post after post with this BS... I could care less who posted first.. this isn't first grade! If you have a valid point express it! If you disagree with a guy EXPRESS it! Don't make it a point to belittle someone just because you don't see eye to eye. Like posting quotes in your sig line, Guess i just have more class then that. As i said my apologies for the "name calling".

All Clear

Mower For Less
06-22-2006, 11:18 PM
This isn't quite proffessionally published but...........
Striping rollers and all others "stripe enhancing apparatus" will impart additional stress to the lawn. Very little, but some would exist.

I dont stripe with a roller, just a properly setup mowing deck. So let me concede that if ADDITIONAL apparatus were used, I could see some additional stress may be imparted, but that is not what I had originally intended. And, as you say, I belive too it would be very little. I have never seen anyone warn of the dangers of striping, nor lawn problems as a result. And I have read several textbooks on the subject of lawn care and turfgrass maintenance, and NONE of them have ever mentioned the "dangers of striping".

Kevin

Mower For Less
06-22-2006, 11:27 PM
My apologies!

It just gets real old reading post after post with this BS... I could care less who posted first.. this isn't first grade! If you have a valid point express it! If you disagree with a guy EXPRESS it! Don't make it a point to belittle someone just because you don't see eye to eye. Like posting quotes in your sig line, Guess i just have more class then that. As i said my apologies for the "name calling".

All Clear

I had a point, I expressed it. You belittled me for not much reason, I rebutted my reasoning. My biggest problem with topsites is that he will never rebutt anything, he post outragous claims, then never responds to counterpoints with any proof to his original claim. And he gets away with it time after time after time. Even when he replies to the same thread, he will ignore any counterpoints and fail to produce any reasoning or proof. And yet you jump on my case to defend him. Im not sure what you relationship is with topsites, but perhaps you should be aware of all of the facts before berating another member.

Kevin

driver5
06-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Fella's, let me add my two cents... All this talk about striping and how it hurts the grass... c mon... it doesnt matter which way you cut. What does matter is this: What damages the lawn is COMPACTION. If you mow a lawn the same way everytime, if you mow the same stripes week in week out, then you create compaction where your wheels roll over the same part of the lawn everytime. What you do to decrease compaction is that you change your direction of cut everytime. sorda like checkerboarding it. Twice a year you should Aerate your lawns. this will relieve compaction.

Mower For Less
06-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Fella's, let me add my two cents... All this talk about striping and how it hurts the grass... c mon... it doesnt matter which way you cut. What does matter is this: What damages the lawn is COMPACTION

Careful now, you come to my side and your gonna get flamed. :hammerhead:

driver5
06-22-2006, 11:35 PM
?????????????????

tcls83
06-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Seems like a lot of you who disagree with striping live in the Midwest. It is very popular in New England.

Well, if no one does it in your area, why don't you be the first? If you want to stand out from other lawn maintenance companies.

Stripe all of your lawns for a while, and if anyone complains, don't do it at the complainer's house. And I'm sure you will get a few who love the striping, and will spread the word about your company.

Don't be afraid to break tradition in your area.

1MajorTom
06-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Seems like a lot of you who disagree with striping live in the Midwest. It is very popular in New England.

Well, if no one does it in your area, why don't you be the first? If you want to stand out from other lawn maintenance companies.

Stripe all of your lawns for a while, and if anyone complains, don't do it at the complainer's house. And I'm sure you will get a few who love the striping, and will spread the word about your company.
As for us, I never said we never did striping, I'm just saying I don't really think our customers even notice. We aren't acquiring new customers because Mrs. Smith has told Mrs. Jones, "hey you got to hire Matt and Jodi because they stripe", we are getting word of mouth referrals because we are dependable. Elderly clients love to know they have a reliable service, not that they have a striping service.

K.Carothers
06-22-2006, 11:44 PM
90% of the homeonwers are now striping there own lawns. To grow your business you need to stay ahead of the curve or fads, come up with something differnt and you will make a killing.

How about special event cuts?

Example: Customer has a bday for their 5 yo. You stripe his/her name in the lawn?

or for the 4th of July - American flag

Anniversaries?

Just about any special event.

Check out what Chris can do - now that's impressive(scroll down)
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=126520

kc

dcondon
06-22-2006, 11:52 PM
You have your opinion, I have mine. The customers we cut for are mostly elderly, they just like their grass neatly cut. People that buy baseball tickets to see big league games, aren't just elderly folks, so of course the stadium fields are going to be visually appealing. No one going to a game will be able to miss those eye popping stripes, they want that field to "pop", so fans oohh and ahh and remember how great the field looked. But 85 year old granny living on a half acre lot isn't really into stripes, and i'm speaking from customers we now service and have serviced for the last 8 years in our area.

As for what type of customers we have: we have customers that pay us each month on time, and who continue to keep our business thriving.

We have the same people Jodi!!! I think it's just the LCO's that take pride in doing it. I hate to leave a lawn that I think does not look good!!:cry:

6'7 330
06-23-2006, 12:02 AM
All our Z-Turns but three, don't even have a roller. Mowing high quality bluegrass,can't help but stripe,with correct deck rake and tire pressures.

All striping is, is an optical illusion, caused by the bending of the grass blades one way,then going back the opposite and bending the grass blades that way.The light reflecting off the bent grass blades,causes the light and dark striping effect. It places no undue stress on high quality turf. As mentioned mowing the same pattern every week will compact the soil. This would happen if the turf stripes or don't stripes.Stripes or not,this is why you change directions mowing.And why you aerate turf.

tcls83
06-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Well, Major Tom, if your clients are happy with they way you are doing your work, then continue doing it that way, as that is what works best for you and your clients.

I was just saying what I said for those who are looking for a way to gain new customers by standing out from other companies. It could almost be considered a niche in an area that rarely has lawn services that stripes.

tcls83
06-23-2006, 12:05 AM
And I have striped homes in different directions each week (cris-cross) ever since I have been in business (not really that long), and it has not affected the condition of the grass itself.

olderthandirt
06-23-2006, 12:07 AM

How about special event cuts?

Example: Customer has a bday for their 5 yo. You stripe his/her name in the lawn?

or for the 4th of July - American flag

Anniversaries?

Just about any special event.

Check out what Chris can do - now that's impressive(scroll down)
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=126520

kc

I've done it with paint, Now if you want to lay some nice stripes with out stressing the lawn drop spreader and a very lite dose of N every other week on the opposite stripe :)

K.Carothers
06-23-2006, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=K.Carothers]

I've done it with paint, Now if you want to lay some nice stripes with out stressing the lawn drop spreader and a very lite dose of N every other week on the opposite stripe :)

I like the paint idea!

kc

jimmbo407
06-23-2006, 12:15 AM
I have never had anyone make a big deal out of stripping until this year. I now have 3 new customers that all wanted stripes in there lawns. I think up til now no one noticed now they are starting to. I put a striping kit on my Great Dane this year and those 3 customers love it. Kind of funny cause one guy does say "make sure the stripes are straight" almost every time I cut.

And for those keeping score, yes I charge them for it.:usflag:

Buckeye1
06-23-2006, 09:27 AM
I have asked this questions a few times and I will ask again on this thread. How do you NOT stripe? If you are cutting in the Northeast or Midwest will someone explain how you keep from leaving stripes, streaks or tire tracks? Maybe I am cutting too high but I find it impossible to leave no trace of any kind.

Nosmo
06-23-2006, 10:00 AM
I can't remedy the tire tracks but one way not to leave stripes is to mow around the area discharging toward the center for a couple laps in the same direction. Then get into the center and mow around and around in the same direction discharging outward.

ALarsh
06-23-2006, 10:01 AM
I have been commented on my nice stripes and around here, they do notice.

topsites
06-23-2006, 02:25 PM
How do you NOT stripe?

Please point out the stripes here:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/Picture 26.jpg

olderthandirt
06-23-2006, 02:36 PM

Please point out a nice thick plush lawn :waving:
Differnt regions have differnt grasses.

Duck Dodger
06-23-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm with most of you. If you know what you are doing you will leave stripes if not you are redneck mowing. I know centipede doesn't stripe too well. The yards I used to have that were though I got them lush enough to and you wouldn't beleive all the praise and jobs I got from it.

tacoma200
06-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Just a question. Do the most prestigious homes such as the White House or homes owned by the rich and famous have stripes? Serious question. Sometimes I like stripes I think they add to the average home but I can also see times when they would take the focus off the home on more on the lawn. Baseball fields look good striped.

MarcSmith
06-23-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm with most of you. If you know what you are doing you will leave stripes if not you are redneck mowing.

The floratam St Augustine in florida that I cut and the Bahia I cut didn't stripe for sht...Now the fescue I have in my yard does well, but my neighbors zoysia won't.... O I guess when I cut my lawn I'm ok but when I cut my neighbors I'm a redneck....yeeeehawwww :drinkup: Now ifmy front yard was big enough warrant striping....

Brendan Smith
06-23-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm with most of you. If you know what you are doing you will leave stripes if not you are redneck mowing. I know centipede doesn't stripe too well. The yards I used to have that were though I got them lush enough to and you wouldn't beleive all the praise and jobs I got from it.
around here, nice lush, thick centipede stripes well. pretty much the only alternative is bahia which is a pain to cut, and i have yet to get it to stripe.

and yes, my customers that allow their lawn to me maintained properly do appreciate it, and don't mind paying.
the ones that don't care get whatever is fastest.

Mower For Less
06-23-2006, 04:29 PM
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/Picture 26.jpg

There is evidence of striping potential. Look at your pic, it is taken right near the end of the racetrack, where you turned. The right side of the pic has a light sheen, and the left side has a darker sheen. Granted it is not a great pic, nor a great lawn, but the difference in shade is there. Had you cut it back and forth instead of in a racetrack, it would be striped. Maybe your blades were dull? Maybe your deck is pitched wrong? Maybe if you cut it more than every 3-4 weeks it would stripe better too? But the evidence is there.

Kevin

Mower For Less
06-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Tell me how you would cut this yard like a racetrack? Striping irregular shapes like this is just plain faster. You cannot cut it like a racetrack, and you cannot NOT stripe it unless you want to take twice as long. And I do not use a roller or anything else but a deck and some blades. :hammerhead:

Kevin

Mower For Less
06-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Just a question. Do the most prestigious homes such as the White House or homes owned by the rich and famous have stripes? Serious question.

Yes, but apparently not by guys that can drive straight. lol. Here's proof:

Ramairfreak98ss
06-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Ive never had customers NOT like without striping, but then ive always had striping on the older mowers i use.... I personally feel it looks much nicer, i havnt had anyone complain about striping though either.

dcondon
06-23-2006, 11:45 PM
I have asked this questions a few times and I will ask again on this thread. How do you NOT stripe? If you are cutting in the Northeast or Midwest will someone explain how you keep from leaving stripes, streaks or tire tracks? Maybe I am cutting too high but I find it impossible to leave no trace of any kind.

why do you not want to stripe. Maybe you just aren't in for the long run. It takes no longer and it will make you feel much better when you finish. Other LCO's will laugh at you when they see a lawn you have done. JMO:waving:

6'7 330
06-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Who hell is gonna have workers mow high quality bluegrass turf ,around & around in circles,just to not to have stripes.

nmez21
06-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Striping- it takes away the monotony of just plain "driving around". JMO

jameson
06-24-2006, 12:07 AM
As pointed out by others, if your mower is set correctly, you will stripe a lawn (bahia, zoysia and others excluded) without a roller or any other fabricated apparatus. And the result is quite pleasing.

However, some of of the stripes made w/rollers (and other devices) that I have seen here on LS are replusive. Especially when done on a lawn surrounded by a mature garden. It is a distracting, obnoxious, assault on the senses. It adds nothing to the home or surrounding garden. It only detracts.

Now, now put away your pitch forks and torches...

...these same stripes done at a office park (especially those stark white box industrial complexes), new home developments or homes surrounded by acres of lawn with little or no mature shrubs...I find that the overall effect is actually pleasing.

Do customers notice? I know this much, if the quality of cut is poor or lines are not straight or grass is not green, they notice.

Everyone has an opinion, don't they? :waving:

Dashunde
06-24-2006, 09:10 AM
James, well said.
Good comparisons.

prostriper
06-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Tell me how you would cut this yard like a racetrack? Striping irregular shapes like this is just plain faster. You cannot cut it like a racetrack, and you cannot NOT stripe it unless you want to take twice as long. And I do not use a roller or anything else but a deck and some blades. :hammerhead:

Kevin

Actually a stripe doesn't have to be a straight line. The path you followed on the sidewalk is still considered a stripe. A definition of a stripe in my opinion is a well defined consistent mower path. Yes most stripes are straight but you can still get creative with them.

Mower For Less
06-25-2006, 01:35 AM
Actually a stripe doesn't have to be a straight line. The path you followed on the sidewalk is still considered a stripe. A definition of a stripe in my opinion is a well defined consistent mower path. Yes most stripes are straight but you can still get creative with them.

I would call it a stripe too. Not sure if you thought I was trying to imply differently. I alternate following the sidewalk, and following the fenceline to the left. I may decide to get creative on that one day, but for now those 2 patterns are about the easiest and most natural.

Kevin

topsites
06-25-2006, 10:37 AM

Oh I am sorry, I forgot it was August when I cut that one and I didn't adjust my camera's hue, balance and saturation to remove the imperfections of what 104+ heat will do, here it is again:
(and if it still doesn't suit, I could brush it up some more but it's not worth my time to prove that a cut looks good regardless, for every one who argues I can post a pic of a striped lawn that looks as bad or worse, I think I could even put stripes in that picture if I wanted to and then remove them and put them back one more time but again it's not worth my time)
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/Picture 26b.jpg

Here it is from another angle, tell me if I should adjust it:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/Picture 28.jpg

poonero
06-25-2006, 10:54 AM
if time is money then a good stripe means that you are using both of the reason you buy a zero turn, the entire deck and the ability to turn on a dime. being a professional takes more than good stripes.

topsites
06-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Matter of fact LOL, in about 12 seconds I put stripes on it, yes it looks like crap but if I really wanted to and sat down and spent several hours on it and selected the right brush width and custom colors and really spent some time with it, I betcha I can put stripes so good on this picture that you can not tell the difference, so you can laugh at this quickie job below but the point I am making...:
p.s.: for the sake of the joke, I selected '48' for the brush width, get it? :)
and for those who really want to know, that is a crop circle in the bottom center, but yeah I'll likely catch it for that which is one reason I stopped showing (and doing) them, seeing how an ignorant customer is just as likely to laugh, it only saves me time to do nothing of the sort in the first place... You can see a circle around the left tree and the right flowerbed + tree as well. by the way, isn't it grand when you get someone ignorant laughing at your stripes? Well, many around here do.
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/Picture 26c.jpg

Mower For Less
06-25-2006, 01:55 PM
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/Picture 26b.jpg

I love those green trees and pale green virginia sky. And if you stand back far enough, you still have 2 big stripes.

grass-scapes
06-25-2006, 03:01 PM
I have actually had a current customer tell me that the man that fixed her porch told her that I was mowing the yard too FAST and thats why the grass was laying over. LOL. I asked her how long has this porch guy been in the lawn business. When I took over her lawn last september, it looked awful. This year, it is thick, lush and green, and the neighbor has told me it looks better than it has in a long while. this is an older woman (80's) and she doesn't understand stripes. The mower is going to stripe, no matter what (using a Walker on that yard). I just try to make it look presentable by keeping the lines as straight as possible.

Daner
06-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Just had a new customer say ....Hey Daner...that thing on the back of your mower does a real nice job!
Thanks for bringing me in to the world of Stripes Guys.
One thing I must say...Its a real art to get them good and looking real eye catchy...But If there all over the place...they look like hell.
Some of you pro stripers have said in the past it takes practice...and i can see what you meen by that...running into rookie jams saying whitch way do i turn this time around this bed...Heck...I,m haven fun with my homemade striper...and all the customers are liking the stripes .

1MajorTom
06-25-2006, 06:48 PM
this is an older woman (80's) and she doesn't understand stripes.
My point exactly.

indy2tall
06-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Why do you have a quote from Topsites as your signature? Just curious because I don't post all that much but it just seemed odd to me.:confused:

poonero
06-25-2006, 10:01 PM
I had a cust complain a few years ago that we made her lawn look like the japanese flag. she didnt like the fact that strangers were taking pictures of her front yard. thats a complaint i can handle hearing.

NNJLandman
06-25-2006, 10:05 PM
I always felt that if customers saw the stripes in the lawn they thought it looked more healthy. They go to their banks, malls, shopping centers, hotels, and see these well manicured lawns with stripes in them, then when they come home they have the same healthy, well manicured, stripped lawn. I would say half of my customers care and the other half dont realize it.

Jeff

Mower For Less
06-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Why do you have a quote from Topsites as your signature? Just curious because I don't post all that much but it just seemed odd to me.:confused:

I would imagine for the same reason olderthandirt and a few others quote from him too... we think everybody should be enlightened by his words of wisdom.

Kevin

Mower For Less
06-26-2006, 05:35 PM
To all those that say no stripes, can you really say that a lawn looks better like this with a light half and a dark half, as opposed to even and alternating stripes? This is similar to topsites pic, but with a better sun angle to see what all of us pro-stripers are trying to say. You cannot NOT stripe a lawn. At least not around here.

Idealtim
06-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Were getting off point. The person who started the thread was asking whether or not the CUSTOMER likes the stripes. There is 9457265 threads on ''how much time does it waste'' or ''whos are the straightest'' and so on. They also had the same type of conversation on this topic. But this is about the person whos paying you. From personal expierience, people get tired of the same back and forth, at the least, change direction every week. Where the stripes really show, I checker. They seem to like that more than anything. it's all about making the customer happy, they gladly pay and take me back next year.

Mower For Less
06-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Were getting off point. The person who started the thread was asking whether or not the CUSTOMER likes the stripes. There is 9457265 threads on ''how much time does it waste'' or ''whos are the straightest'' and so on. They also had the same type of conversation on this topic. But this is about the person whos paying you. From personal expierience, people get tired of the same back and forth, at the least, change direction every week. Where the stripes really show, I checker. They seem to like that more than anything. it's all about making the customer happy, they gladly pay and take me back next year.

My last post was not off topic at all. Are two big stripes any more pleasing to a customer than several smaller ones? I would think unless they are putting a volleyball net or such in their yard, they would think that it looks totally silly having a half light half dark yard. And mind you it looked like a bigger contrast in person, but still shows in the pic.

Kevin

Dashunde
06-26-2006, 08:34 PM
I was asking whether or not most customers like well defined, straight and thought-out stripes - or if they tend to care less - or if some dont like stripes at all.
Of course no one likes crappy stripes... thats a given.

My next question would be whether or not any of you reverse your stripe patterns to "kick-up" the turf that has been getting bent over in the same direction cut-after-cut (even when checking)?
I've got a few blugrass yards that stripe exceptionally well, but its laying over and getting more difficult to get good lift and a good cut - even weekly alternate checking.
I'm at 3.5" - maybe too long for medium-thin Bluegrass?

Mower For Less
06-26-2006, 10:24 PM
I was asking whether or not most customers like well defined, straight and thought-out stripes - or if they tend to care less - or if some dont like stripes at all.

This is what I and some others were saying. It is impossible to cut without striping. The question then becomes, and has never been successfully answered, how do you not stripe?

Dashunde
06-27-2006, 09:00 AM
My Gravely wb doesnt stripe much at all if I take the mudflap off.
What stripes it does leave are mostly tire tracks.

NewbieNC
06-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Stripes Are The Devil!!

naturescape
06-27-2006, 09:38 AM
I cut grass high in summer, about 3 1/4 - 3 1/2". One thing about striping is that since I started doing that, 8 years ago, I've NEVER had someone ask if I cut the lawn like I had before I was striping. They can TELL it's been cut! Some may ask me to cut shorter, which I WON'T do, but at least they know it's been cut!