PDA

View Full Version : Discharge chute deflector control for a JD 7 Iron deck (717/727)

Roger
06-22-2006, 06:39 PM
I bought a JD 717A a couple of months ago. I really like the machine, and it does a great job.

But, an annoyance is how to flip up/let down the discharge chute deflector. I have learned the distribution of clippings seems better with the deflector down. However, I need to have it flipped up for transport on the trailer.

Now, I use a loose bungee cord from the hinge shaft, over the end of the deflector, and tied back to a hole in the height adjustment mechanism. When I drive off the trailer, I need to dismount the machine, take off the bungee, and reverse the process before loading.

Has anybody made something to hold the deflector in the UP postion for transport, something that can be controlled from the operator seat/platform? I don't want to start drilling holes at the end of the deflector to make an attachment before I know what will work best.

My idea: A small chain, bolted to the outside edge of the deflector, running up to the height adjustment plates (the ones with the holes). Make the connection at the top a permanent one. Part way down the chain, add a hook (perhaps from a broken bungee cord), a hook positioned so that when the chain is pulled up, the hook can be put into one of the spare holes. The chain should be able to be pulled/released while sitting in the seat.

Any other suggestions, ideas that have worked for others? Thanks.