PDA

View Full Version : Urban Legend

nfarr
06-23-2006, 01:09 AM
I was begining to think the stories of lowballers had taken on urban legend proportions until today. I pulled a flyer off one of my customers mailbox. Up to 1/2 acre $14.00 a cut or from 1/2 acre up to 1 acre $25.00 Of course if you want it bagged, it will cost an additional $30.00

Jordan River
06-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Give the flyer to the postmaster. He/She will put the fear into whoever left that flyer on a mailbox!

CutInEdge Lawn Care
06-23-2006, 09:01 AM
I was begining to think the stories of lowballers had taken on urban legend proportions until today. I pulled a flyer off one of my customers mailbox. Up to 1/2 acre $14.00 a cut or from 1/2 acre up to 1 acre $25.00 Of course if you want it bagged, it will cost an additional $30.00

I bet the guy that left it is a Postal Worker. He'll throw all your mail away but make darn sure that flier gets hung. :)

topsites
06-23-2006, 09:15 AM
I keep flyers like that, then when I get that phone call where all seems well and I end up taking a drive to give the estimate just to find out the customer wants the work done about 70% off, I hand them the flyer and problem fixed.

See this thread for further information:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=151024

Brendan Smith
06-23-2006, 10:39 AM
I keep flyers like that, then when I get that phone call where all seems well and I end up taking a drive to give the estimate just to find out the customer wants the work done about 70% off, I hand them the flyer and problem fixed.

See this thread for further information:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=151024
that is funny, yet at the same time, a good idea. i'll have to remember it.

topsites
06-23-2006, 02:03 PM
that is funny, yet at the same time, a good idea. i'll have to remember it.

Yeah man, it relieves my stress while it connects the right customer with the right Lco, everybody wins.
It's hard to remember to do it sometimes, but even just once in a while it greatly relieves my frustration with the lowballing issue.

p.s.: I done laughed soooo hard man, and even much later I still laugh just thinking about it, if I do it once / year that's usually enough.

DJL50
06-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Give the flyer to the postmaster. He/She will put the fear into whoever left that flyer on a mailbox!
No problem with placing flyers "on" the mail box. Only a problem with placing them "in" the box

crawdad
06-23-2006, 08:04 PM
No problem with placing flyers "on" the mail box. Only a problem with placing them "in" the box
Wrong!
"on" the mailbox is illegal too.

wmsland
06-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Then I would assume that taking them off the mailbox illegal too ?

TNT Lawncare
06-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Actually my father was a mail man for 20 years and just retired. You can put anything you want on the outside of a mailbox. Nothing inside unless it is stamped and the stamp is canceled by the post office.

Green-Pro
06-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Actually my father was a mail man for 20 years and just retired. You can put anything you want on the outside of a mailbox. Nothing inside unless it is stamped and the stamp is canceled by the post office.

Oh boy this threads gonna get good!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TNT Lawncare
06-23-2006, 10:54 PM
I am certainly not trying to argue about anything here. Don't get me wrong. I am just telling you what I was told.

K.Carothers
06-23-2006, 11:00 PM
My mailman can beat your mailman up:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

kc

Green-Pro
06-23-2006, 11:08 PM
I am certainly not trying to argue about anything here. Don't get me wrong. I am just telling you what I was told.

Easy TNT I'm not arguing with ya. It's just that I've seen this thread about a million times before and the soon to be ensuing arguing that accompanies it :) I'm just sitting back waiting for the show :p

DJL50
06-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Easy TNT I'm not arguing with ya. It's just that I've seen this thread about a million times before and the soon to be ensuing arguing that accompanies it :) I'm just sitting back waiting for the show :p

No need to argue. A quick download of a pdf file on mailbox use laws say in short no items without postage may be left in or on a box. But if you read the exemptions on the bottom of that page say non postage items left on a hook or ring are exempt from the law.

http://www.gao.gov/archive/1997/gg97085.pdf

SamTheLawnMan
06-24-2006, 08:20 PM
I asked my local postmaster the same question and he told me "NOT" to put "anything IN or ON the mailbox" ...So that's what I did or should I say DIDN'T do...LOL

crawdad
06-24-2006, 09:43 PM
I asked my local postmaster the same question and he told me "NOT" to put "anything IN or ON the mailbox" ...So that's what I did or should I say DIDN'T do...LOL
I was told at the local post office that I couldn't even hang flyers off'n the newspaper hook of a city mailbox, it seeems to be up to the interpretation of whoever's in charge....

No need to argue. A quick download of a pdf file on mailbox use laws say in short no items without postage may be left in or on a box. But if you read the exemptions on the bottom of that page say non postage items left on a hook or ring are exempt from the law.

http://www.gao.gov/archive/1997/gg97085.pdf

What page is that exemption on? the download was quick, yes, but please save me from reading all 60 pages.

DJL50
06-25-2006, 01:17 AM
I was told at the local post office that I couldn't even hang flyers off'n the newspaper hook of a city mailbox, it seeems to be up to the interpretation of whoever's in charge....

What page is that exemption on? the download was quick, yes, but please save me from reading all 60 pages.
If I remember right it is on page 4. Look at the small print at the bottom. It does seem to contradict it self.

puppypaws
06-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Have you never noticed the laws in this country are useless to all the people that have their interpretations and I have seen it a lot of times the only one that makes any difference is the one that has the power to enforce his interpretation of that law. This country is so screwed up the people in the judicial department don't even know how to interpret their own laws, I personally had a question on an amendment congress is going to pass November 1, 2006 pertaining to a certain law and it took me two days and about a dozen people to ever get a reasonable answer and that person said they could not be 100% positive that what they told me was the exact meaning of the amendment. Now is it not wonderful mine and your government know how to handle our affairs so well.