PDA

View Full Version : Are The 30 Hp Kohler Problems Fixed?

REALSLOW
06-23-2006, 12:26 AM
I heard the 30 HP kohler on the Super Z's had carb problems. How good are these 30's when motor is fixed.

Distorted
06-23-2006, 07:53 AM
I think it was the Kohler 28hp engines that were having the trouble.

TLS
06-25-2006, 08:54 AM
I think it was the Kohler 28hp engines that were having the trouble.

No, it was/is the new 30hp Kohler.

They require a new intake elbow.

They ran quite crappy. I can't believe Kohler allowed them to go out of the factory knowing they'd be used on rough terrain.

They would sound like you pulled your choke 1/2 way out when you moved anywhere other than level. Heck, even stopping real quick would make it stumble.

I'd love to see them make this 747 a fuelie!:weightlifter:

Oh, and it wasn't just SuperZ's. It was evident on any unit. I had personal experience with it on a new Lazer demo.

mowtech
06-25-2006, 05:54 PM
What TLS states is correct.

rob7233
06-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Do you think the proposed "fix" will really correct this problem without causing others on these mowers for real world field use? :confused:

TLS
06-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Do you think the proposed "fix" will really correct this problem without causing others on these mowers for real world field use? :confused:

Truthfully, I cant see Kohler NOT fixing this properly.

On stationary applications it's just fine. It's the bouncing and tilting that ZTR use envokes that causes it to throw fits.

Personally, if they don't have other problems with this 747, I could see this model eventually making it to EFI (which would be real sweet!).

mowtech
06-28-2006, 09:30 AM
The carb vents back through this elbow. The vent location was too low and fuel from the bowl could slosh back into the intake causing the engine to run too rich and sputter. The new elbow raises the vent point and does resolve this issue. I've witnessed this fix and it does work.

Jman
07-03-2006, 02:12 PM
I've had a dealer tell me they fixed two units like this. The part is slated to be released soon to take care of units in the field.