PDA

View Full Version : How in the Hell?

Dirty Water
06-23-2006, 12:49 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58823&stc=1&d=1150924464
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58824&stc=1&d=1150924566
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58825&stc=1&d=1150924620

Truck hitting overpass? Who transports with the stick up? Or do all Longsticks need to be that way?

Scag48
06-23-2006, 01:47 AM
More than likely the stick would extend out past the legal limit so the driver was forced to run the machine forward. I can't remember the exact number, I want to say anything 14 feet past the last axle on a trailer is illegal, not including pole or logging bunks. Basically the overpass was too short so it rammed the stick up into the road above.

2004F550
06-23-2006, 06:15 PM
I think if it hangs off more than 4'...but anyway that's what happens when you move an excavator forwards...probably had never moved equipment before or something

JB1
06-23-2006, 06:23 PM
thats one heck of a bill I wouldn't want to see. how would you like to of been driving by on it at the time.

Gravel Rat
06-23-2006, 06:47 PM
I think I seen that picture on another message board.

The machine is loaded on the trailer backwards or it looks like its backwards.

I guess the saying **** happens :laugh:

jazak
06-23-2006, 06:50 PM
I think I seen that picture on another message board.

The machine is loaded on the trailer backwards or it looks like its backwards.

I guess the saying **** happens :laugh:

Just realized that. Thats what probobly did it.

D and H Seasonal Services
06-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Can you say ( FIRED )

Gravel Rat
06-23-2006, 07:38 PM
The machine is being hauled on a rail trailer I guess they knew it was going to be over height on a conventional lowbed. Its amazing how a machine can sit on a rail bed and wood blocks :eek:

If the machine was on the trailer the right direction the knuckle of the boom wouldn't have caught the overpass it would prolly have slid under or lifted the overpass.

AintNoFun
06-23-2006, 07:57 PM
ya think his insurance rates are gonna go up?

FearThisDeere
06-23-2006, 10:25 PM
I think if it hangs off more than 4'I think you are right. 14' is a hell of a long way, but we could be wrong!

sno-mover
06-23-2006, 10:55 PM
somthing's not right How would it still be on the trailer in the right spot, not shifted around? Where was this because he is on the wrong side of the road.

FearThisDeere
06-24-2006, 04:36 PM
He is on the correct side of the road. The angle of the picutres kind of throws it off.

Let-it-mow!
06-24-2006, 04:59 PM
It looks like he's still on the trailer because as the arm got jambed under the overpass, the machine was pushed down and the trailer got wedged between the machine and the trailer. It looks like it must have gotten locked in like a cam clamp and stopped instantly.

Mike33
06-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Could it be like Jeff Foxworthy says ( I was moving the bridge and the truck ran out of gas ) Here's your sign!:hammerhead:
Mike

olderthandirt
06-24-2006, 11:01 PM
What the hell kind of overpass is it that can be sliced like a knife from an excavator boom And its still attached?

tylermckee
06-25-2006, 04:08 AM
I would say that pic might say something good about hyundai machines:hammerhead:

mrusk
06-25-2006, 09:36 AM
The over pass would of fell down if a cat hit it!

Gravel Rat
06-26-2006, 12:02 AM
If a Cat hit the overpass all the turn table bolts would have snapped and all what would be left on the trailer would be the undercarriage :laugh:

The boom on that excavator looks like a long reach meant for cleaning out drainage ditches in farmers fields.

scholzee
06-26-2006, 07:10 AM
Nuts and Bolts
Kansas construction firm has bad day
By Olivia Grider

If your truck drivers need a reminder to measure the equipment loads they’re hauling, an incident that happened near Hays, Kansas, in February is one of the best you’re likely to find.

An excavator being transported on a flatbed trailer smashed into an Interstate 70 overpass, its boom raising as it ripped more than halfway through the bridge. “We’ve never seen anything like this,” says Kevin Zimmer, area engineer for the Kansas Department of Transportation. “The boom just punched a hole through the deck.” Zimmer says minor overpass hits occur from time to time, but they usually take a 1- to 2-foot chunk of concrete out of the bridge and then slide under it.

The Transportation Department plans to bill Garden City, Kansas, firm Lee Construction, the owner of the tractor trailer, for the mishap. Cleanup costs totaled $134,000 and Zimmer says a 45-foot bridge section replacement could cost hundreds of thousands. Eastbound lanes of I-70 through Hays were closed for 11 days, sending drivers on a 9-mile detour. Zimmer says work on the bridge is scheduled to start this month and it will probably reopen to traffic in July.

The truck driver, Michael Conley, didn’t have the necessary permits to be on the interstate and was supposed to travel on two-lane roads. Unsure of the route he should take when he reached Hays, Conley looked at a map and saw he could use the interstate to get to his destination, Zimmer says. The excavator struck the first overpass he came to, about a mile into his journey on I-70. No one was injured in the collision, although debris damaged a sport utility vehicle that was driving alongside the semi. The trailer carrying the excavator separated from the truck.

Zimmer has this advice for anyone hauling large construction equipment: “Before you get headed down the road, check your actual height and make sure you know your route really well.”

Fordsuvparts
06-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Wow there insurance will be taking a big hike this year. I'd hate to have to pay there premium next year. They must use really poor concrete in kansas.

hawks2006
06-28-2006, 03:04 PM
ya that happened here in hays where i live and they still havent fixed it yet

Boycea
06-28-2006, 05:17 PM
FOR SALE: One slightly used Hyundai Excavator, needs minor cosmetic work, contact Lee Construction

Brendan Smith
06-29-2006, 09:25 AM
FOR SALE: One slightly used Hyundai Excavator, needs minor cosmetic work, contact Lee Construction
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: