PDA

View Full Version : WAM. I Need info.

dad
06-23-2006, 09:21 AM
I need to know what you think about your WAM. I am thinking of adding a used WAM.
One of my present accounts is a school system which gives me about 45 acres.
Next week it will increase another 20 acres with 4 sports fields.
I currently use a JD797 and a JD755 60" as some areas are rough as hell. With the 797 changing cutting heights is quick. For mowing the sports fields with thier different heights this helps.Does your WAM change easily?
Before you tell me to just get another Z, I am in a rural area of MI. and I work alone by choice. Less overhead, & no worries about what kind of work my help might do. Been there done that!
The 45 now takes me about 12 hours to cut. I need to be faster.

Thank you for your time and trouble.

David Haggerty
06-23-2006, 01:45 PM
I think the Toro 580-D is the best of the big mowers. I've had a Howard Price HP 180 with a 15' width of cut and and Alamo 12' cut. I like the Toro best, but it costs the most too.
I don't know of any wing deck mower that is quick to change the height of cut. All I've seen have spacers and lots of guage wheels. Maybe one of the Toro 455 with a single 96" deck where the sides fold up would change easier.
Like I said the Toro 580-D is my favorite. 80hp 16.5' cut. It gives a really good cut, never leaves plantain stems. It rolls over some pretty rough ground pretty quickly. Decks are heavy and don't bounce around, and the tires are big. It rides pretty nice. Cruise control & automatic traction control.
Drawbacks are the trailering weight and it's pricy to have repaired.
Is there anything else I could tell you?

Dave

ALarsh
06-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah... pic!

David Haggerty
06-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Here's one to look at. I think they're 96"

http://www.centuryequip.com/used/equipment_details.asp?ID=2073

Dave

Albemarle Lawn
06-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Time to change cut height = about 30 minutes.

10 caster spacer points
2 front deck hanger points
2 side wing control rods

Total 14 operations per height change. Super PIA.

Deere 1600 is a great WAM but only if you need to change height once or twice per season.

Palmer'sLS
06-23-2006, 03:39 PM
i assume by the name your around c-ville albermerle lawn?