PDA

View Full Version : 17hp kawasakie scag blowing black smoke

scagboy227
06-23-2006, 03:21 PM
when engaging the blades on my mower it makes a puff of black smoke and it sounds like it is missfiring while mowing.
what can i so to check or fix this
havnt replaced plugs in like a year and changed oil bout 75 hours ago

ProStreetCamaro
06-23-2006, 03:27 PM
when engaging the blades on my mower it makes a puff of black smoke and it sounds like it is missfiring while mowing.
what can i so to check or fix this
havnt replaced plugs in like a year and changed oil bout 75 hours ago

Check and see if the float is closeing all the way. That sounds like the float isnt closeing to me. Does it do it the whole time your mowing or when you go over bumps? Its possible there is dirt thats preventing it from closeing or the float may have a pin hole which will allow gas to seep into the float and make it heavy enough to not close properly.

scagboy227
06-23-2006, 03:33 PM
yeah it does it when going over bumps and going uphill and when slowing down fast
where is the float
and why would it blow black smoke when engaging the blades

chuck bow
06-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Mine was doing same thing misfiring ect Motor had 1300 hrs on it ( was a 17 horse kawi) and tech worked on it and worked on it said it need new carb and the top bearings were shot but i wasnt willing to put alot of money in this motor with the amount of hrs it had on it so......... i had them put a new 19 horse kawi with the pressure lub system to top bearings had a new clutch put on it last winter so i almost have a new mower , i was just tired of jacking with old motor and i didnt have the time to have a mower down or to keep running to the dealer so they just dropped a new motor on it in less than a hr.

ProStreetCamaro
06-24-2006, 08:12 PM
yeah it does it when going over bumps and going uphill and when slowing down fast
where is the float
and why would it blow black smoke when engaging the blades

The float is in the carb. There is a bowl on the bottom of the carb with a nut on the bottom. Take that nut off and the bowl will come off and the float is right there. The best thing to do is to get a carb kit for your carb. Get the carb kit and a new float and rebuild it. Its very easy to do. It probably blows smoke when you engage the blades because it jerks the mower a little and that makes the float bounce off the seat enough to let to much fuel in.

lawnmaniac883
06-24-2006, 11:29 PM
There is no bolt holding the bowl onto a 17hp kawi, the bowl unscrews from the carb. If you have a good grip with your hands then turn the bowl to the left and it will come off.

Jim@MilkyWay
06-25-2006, 03:00 AM
Scaggboy227 here is a partial repost of my first ever post to this (actually, to any)forum in March this year:
...2) My reason for seeking help in the first place is as follows: My 8(?) year old Kubota with a 14 HP Kawasaki fc420v is "loading up" which is the term I believe I have heard used. It starts and runs fine, but when the power is called on, as in cutting grass, it sounds some how like it is laboring. Also, it blows black smoke out the muffler dense enough to see but not startlingly thick, also under load. In fact, the worst smoke occurs as the blades are being slowly engaged...
There are probably a number of possibilities, for smoke as you engage your blades. My problem was resolved by simply replacing the air filter. It's a cheap thing to do first if there is any question of the age/hours on your filter.

scagboy227
06-25-2006, 02:34 PM
well im going to change the plugs tommorow ans spray som carb cleaner in the carb and get an airfilter and it that doesnt work then hello new piston rings:cool2:

J&R Landscaping
06-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Check to make sure your throttle cable/choke cable are adjusted correctly! I had this happen to a customers machine at work 2 days ago. I just replaced the plugs and adjusted the throttle cable because it was not going completely off choke.

How old is the engine? You may need a set of coils. Try hooking a spark tester to one side and leaving just 1 side hooked and start the engine. Try this on both sides and see what kind of spark output you have from the engine.

scagboy227
07-04-2006, 11:27 PM
ok i did the paark thing and if i leave the right side connected it will not run but if i leave the left it runs

chuck bow
07-05-2006, 04:37 PM
sounds like one coil is bad