PDA

View Full Version : Engine dies when shifting

Keegan
06-23-2006, 08:42 PM
I finished my first job today everything was fine. When I got to my second stop and unloaded the mower off the trailer and started it. When I went to put it in gear the engine went to stop. I put it back in neutral it runs. Tried it a few times more and the exact thing kept happening. When I let go of the left handle the engine will stop. The right handle is fine.
Any ideas what might have happended?

Thank you!

FIXDISS
06-23-2006, 08:53 PM
I finished my first job today everything was fine. When I got to my second stop and unloaded the mower off the trailer and started it. When I went to put it in gear the engine went to stop. I put it back in neutral it runs. Tried it a few times more and the exact thing kept happening. When I let go of the left handle the engine will stop. The right handle is fine.
Any ideas what might have happended?

Thank you!
Check the seat safety switch . Could have loose wire.

lawnmaniac883
06-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Read the fourth thread in this forum....

mike lane lawn care
06-23-2006, 09:23 PM
check the seat safety switch and wires. i had a problem of the mower dieing when shifted, the coating on the wires had worn away and were touching the frame, causing it to short out. taped up the wires and it works fine, also the PTO switch could be faulty but the mower shouldn't even start if that is the case.

mkwl
06-23-2006, 09:44 PM
I had a similar problem with my Bob-Cat when I first got it. It turned out the shifter lever was pushing the wire connectors off their receivers on the transmission, causeing the engine to kill, since the machine "thought" it was being let go while still in gear. I just re-routed the wires and re-attached the connectors and the problem was easily solved. Hope this helps!:dancing:

Restrorob
06-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Sounds like the safety switch in the left handle took a dump.

MowerMedic77
06-24-2006, 07:08 AM
I would check the connection at the switch itself but, without you having posted the needed numbers of your equipment(brand etc) My psychic abilities are fading:rolleyes:

Keegan
06-24-2006, 08:22 AM
It's a BobCat 36" wb gear drive. The mower did slide into the gate when I took the tie down off. It's the only thing I can think of becasue it worked fine 10 min before.

MowerMedic77
06-24-2006, 09:50 AM
"When I let go of the left handle the engine will stop. The right handle is fine."
This means that the right operator presence switch( tells the mower you are still standing behind the unit holding the levers) is not working, because if you hold the right one down and let go of the left the mower now thinks that you have let go of both handles since it is not sensing the right handle being depressed:confused: The safety closest to the lever needs to be checked since you hit a gate it may just be unplugged like by previous post stated also make sure that the lever itself is not bent and not making contact with the safety switch. Hope this helps