PDA

View Full Version : john deere 777

stevesmowing
06-23-2006, 10:12 PM
I am using a john deere 777 demo mower while my hustler super z gets a new pulley and belt. It seems like the hydo controls seem really stiff and that the engine is not only running 3/4 throttle. Any one else have information on the john deere models?

procut
06-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Thats the way the hydralics are on the Deeres. I have a 757 right now that I am doing a 4 week demo on. I normally run toro ZTRs, where if you bump the sticks they spin around. It took me about a week to get used to the deere, but now I really like it, and it feels awkward to run the Toros now.

As far as the engine only running 3/4 throttle, I haven't noticed.

MMLawn
06-23-2006, 11:34 PM
If either of you have stiff controls something is wrong. I have owned eXmark, Toro and JD and by FAR JD's controls are the best

Grassman6
06-24-2006, 12:20 AM
How old is your 777 demo? After a couple of years or 500 hours (+/-) the control shocks (dampeners) need to be replaced. No lube points exist for the control handles but I spray dry film lube on all friction services along that long common tube under the seat frame...just move a handle slightly and stick a spray lube tube in all the cracks. Don't miss both ends of the two small arms that go straight back to the hydro pump.

As for the 3/4 throttle concern, I noticed that the 757 (air cooled) seems to sound faster than the Triple 7 water cooled....but performance is still good. What type of engine are you comparing the 777 engine speed to!

imograss
06-24-2006, 07:38 AM
The hydro's on the Deere''s are allot stiffer than the Super Z's.

Raymond S.
06-24-2006, 08:15 AM
I went to a dealer who sells Gravely, John Deere, and Exmark. He said that the JD was less sensative as compared to the other two, and most everyone recommended them for homeowners. As a 757 owner, I would have to agree. I have driven the Gravely and Exmark and the JD is easier to control for me. The only complaint, is in reverse. It seems that I have to pull the controls quite a ways back to get movement. That may be normal.

rodneyskip
06-24-2006, 10:07 AM
I am using a john deere 777 demo mower while my hustler super z gets a new pulley and belt. It seems like the hydo controls seem really stiff and that the engine is not only running 3/4 throttle. Any one else have information on the john deere models?

Are the sticks stiff or is it truly the hydros. You can loosen the sticks a bit- I have had to do this on two new 757's this season.

I rode a friend's ztr this week and his controls were so sensitive that the machine was jerky. (Cub Cadet). Maybe it is whatever you are used to.

jcltyson
06-24-2006, 01:56 PM
I would like to hear more about your Z's pulley & belt..I've lost two (2) spindle pulleys on my new Super Z. One on the right side and the center one. The pulley bolts appear to have come lose because I could never find them after the pulleys came off. Now checking the torque on the three spindle pulleys is part of my normal daily maintenance before going out. What happened in your situation?

Idealtim
06-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Thats just the way the deere's are. The controls are stiff. And as for the engine, mabey the demo units are idled down so people don't wreck them?

imograss
06-24-2006, 07:13 PM
jcltyson,
What year is your Super Z?

rodneyskip
06-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Thats just the way the deere's are. The controls are stiff. And as for the engine, mabey the demo units are idled down so people don't wreck them?

Have to disagree with this one. :dizzy:

MMLawn
06-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Thats just the way the deere's are. The controls are stiff.

Then you clearly don't know what you are talking about.....:dizzy: :dizzy:

poonero
06-25-2006, 10:03 AM
I own 2 777 and the stiffness wheres off as you put more hours on them. as far as the throttle when i bought my 2006 at the beginning of the season it would not stay at full throttle and it took two 7/16 wrenches and 2 min to fix. it was the bolt that holds the throttle adjust ( red handle you push to throttle up or down). I love both of mine and have zero complaints about any part of the mowers. I may be a little bias everything from my hand tools to my blowers are jd equipment.

gl1200a
06-25-2006, 12:55 PM
This RPM problem was a big topic a few years ago and the majority seem to find that their machines came with very differing numbers for RPM's at max throttle. Most fell short of what the factory manuals recommended. That's why you buy a tachomater and set your throttle plate yourself. Mine came new about 300 RPM short of factory specs. This effects max horsepower and blade speed while cutting. Buy a tach.