PDA

View Full Version : New Fuel pump for old 11hp B&S

hdtvluvr
06-24-2006, 12:24 AM
I need to replace the fuel pump on my engine. I've received the new part (# 808656). The old original pump is a rectangular unit mounted on the side of the engine. The new part is plastic and doesn't look like the old one. I need to know how this needs to be connected. It has 3 hose barbs. I'm not even sure which way is up or down.

Also, while I haven't tried to take the old one off, at a quick glance it seems the old one may be welded onto the engine cover. The new one has holes for mounting but there isn't a place on the engine to mount it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Engine specs
Model 252707
Type 0644-01
On a 1983 J. Deere

newz7151
06-24-2006, 02:44 AM
I need to replace the fuel pump on my engine. I've received the new part (# 808656). The old original pump is a rectangular unit mounted on the side of the engine. The new part is plastic and doesn't look like the old one. I need to know how this needs to be connected. It has 3 hose barbs. I'm not even sure which way is up or down.

Also, while I haven't tried to take the old one off, at a quick glance it seems the old one may be welded onto the engine cover. The new one has holes for mounting but there isn't a place on the engine to mount it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Engine specs
Model 252707
Type 0644-01
On a 1983 J. Deere

Did you ask the dealer about why the shape of the body was different and how it was going to fit when they handed you the round one?

Restrorob
06-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Below is the pump that is listed for your engine, Briggs no longer offers this pump and has superseded the part number to the 808656 plastic pump.
I see no problem with mounting this pump because it is a direct replacement, On the other hand if someone had replaced it previously with another type pump or replaced the blower housing with another one where the numbers are not for that engine you may need to buy the mounting bracket to fit the new pump. It would be best mounted in the position as shown in the pic. below.

hdtvluvr
06-24-2006, 09:46 AM
I believe the Blower housing is original. My father-in-law bought it after it was used for 1 year (1984) and he had it until he gave it to me 3 years ago.

Attached are photos showing the housing, the old fuel pump and the new one. Where do the hoses go on the new one?

hdtvluvr
06-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Here are the photos. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

newz7151
06-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Hmm.. this situation looks familiar now. If you want that same fuel pump, you might have to go through JohnDeere. I believe in the situation that we had, the fuel pump is around ninety something bucks. You can likely adapt another one to fit though.

I believe the Blower housing is original. My father-in-law bought it after it was used for 1 year (1984) and he had it until he gave it to me 3 years ago.

Attached are photos showing the housing, the old fuel pump and the new one. Where do the hoses go on the new one?

hdtvluvr
06-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Did you ask the dealer about why the shape of the body was different and how it was going to fit when they handed you the round one?

Sorry, I missed this response for some reason. I didn't take it out of the bag until I was home and thus didn't realize the difference till then.

I guess I will need to fabricate a mount for it. I just need to know how to hook up the fuel lines now.

Restrorob
06-24-2006, 10:58 PM
I just need to know how to hook up the fuel lines now.

If my memory serves me right below should be right, But check and make sure before mounting. If it doesn't pump just swap the tank and carb. lines. These pumps can be mounted in any position but after looking at your pics. the position below may be the best to get the original lines hooked up.

hdtvluvr
06-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the layout - it was correct. I made a mounting bracket and mounted the pump to the side of the tractor so that the new pump is slightly below the old one. It works perfectly.

Now, if it will only last another 23 years like the old one!