PDA

View Full Version : Weedeater Trimmer Stuck Automatic Clutch?

Fooltergeist
06-24-2006, 01:30 PM
My el cheapo Weeedeater Featherlite grass trimmer appears to have a stuck automatic centrifugal clutch. When I pull the rope briskly at full or half choke, the engine does not cough or sputter as it normally does. Instead, the trimmer head rotates at the same rate of speed as the starter pulley. It is as if the head and the pulley are connected by a direct drive shaft. This leads me to believe that the centrifugal clutch is stuck and this puts a pre-starting load on the engine that prevents it from attaining enough speed to turn over and start.

Is my diagnosis correct? How do I unstuck a sticking centrifugal clutch and is this a job for a homeowner? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

dutch1
06-24-2006, 01:41 PM
If indeed you have a clutch on your trimmer it is likely that one or both of the springs that retracts the clutch shoes as rpm is reduced are broken. Replace the clutch and inspect the drum for excessive wear. If parts are available and you can do the job yourself it is probably cost effective. In my opinion it would not be cost effective to take it to a shop.

Dutch

ed2hess
06-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Usually easy to get the clutch housing off just four bolts on Echo and disconnect the of/off wires. Not real simple but like previous post says it will probably cost $50 to repair at shop.

AAELI
06-24-2006, 06:01 PM
As Dutch stated the springs that retract the shoes at idle speed have gone south. It is a simple job on the weedeater. As Ed says the dealer repair costs are almost as much as a new 'disposeable' weedeater. My advice for what it is worth is to work on it only if you really like this value of equipment. Otherwise invest in something more durable to make do the job.
Al Eli

grass_cuttin_fool
06-24-2006, 07:06 PM
That happened to my Robin trimmer last week, I broke a spring, it cost $2.98 and the dealer charged me $8.00 for labor total was $10.98.Ive bought numerous trimmers and equipment from him. It was about a 15-20 minute job for him, I figure it would of taken me 1-2 hours just because Ive never had one apart before and it would of been a learning exp. I go along with the other post, if you can do it yourself then go for it, if you take it to a dealer........maybe 30- 50 bux almost 50% cost of replacing the trimmer

wayne

lawnmaniac883
06-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Buy a new trimmer, those are throwaways.