PDA

View Full Version : oregon blade sharpener...

04TurfT
06-24-2006, 02:24 PM
I just recently got a oregon blade sharpener, this thing is awesome. I love it, it will get a blade very sharp... So far I love it, how do yall like them if you got one?

rodfather
06-24-2006, 02:35 PM
I bought their largest one the beginning of this year. Don't remember the model, but it's 1.5 hp with a 12 inch wheel. Needless to sa, it does quite the job in very little time...I'm pleased. :clapping:

nmez21
06-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Right now I use a 1 hp. benchgrinder- works really well usually. Is there much of an advantage to have a grinder that is setup for sharpening blades?

04TurfT
06-24-2006, 03:29 PM
it's nice being able to just feed the blades in there and not worry about getting the angle right, and I think it is a lot quicker... You can set the angle of the wheel to whatever you want it at. That's mainly why I like it

HighGrass
06-24-2006, 05:04 PM
So where is the best deal on them?

THEGOLDPRO
06-24-2006, 05:30 PM
i just got one as well, and i used to use the norml hand grinder, and trust me its night and day, i actually dont mind sharpening blades now.

hillndale
06-24-2006, 06:43 PM
If you dropped the big bucks on the larger Oregon sharpener, why didn't you go with the "Magna-Matic? Just curious, as I thought the MM was the best!

http://magna-matic.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MOS&Category_Code=sharp

hillndale:headphones:

rodfather
06-24-2006, 10:01 PM
If you dropped the big bucks on the larger Oregon sharpener, why didn't you go with the "Magna-Matic? Just curious, as I thought the MM was the best!

http://magna-matic.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MOS&Category_Code=sharp

hillndale:headphones:

I wanted something that I was sure I could use on my Toro Groundsmaster blades and brush hog blades as well.

Larry Davis
06-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Two questions please ..........

1. How much did the big Oregon cost you?

2. I have a 72" Woods Brush Hog that I will soon have to sharpen the blades for the first time. Obviously, this thing weighs a bunch! The owner's manual does not tell me how to safely remove and reinstall the blades. Can you give me some pointers on how this should be done?

Thanks ..........

rodfather
06-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Larry, I seem to recall the basic unit was around $700. With the grit collector (which is pretty big), the adapter for mulching blades, and shipping, it came to a little over 800 bucks.

You're going to need an impact (air) gun to take those brush hog blades off safely the first time...that or a long breaker bar, a heavy duty 6-point socket, and a couple of 6x6 inch blocks of wood (18" in length) or so. I am assuming you have 2 blades under your deck. If you have access to an impact gun, you won't need to chock the other blade as you take one off. If not you will.

Last point. Remember to use something other than the hydraulics to keep the deck up in the air. If that deck comes down on you, you'll be taking the big dirt nap for sure. Good luck too btw.

rodfather
06-25-2006, 01:27 PM
One last thing.

The reason I got my Oregon was because my Toro Groundmasters have left-side discharge blades. I need to be able to get to and use both sides of the grinding wheel depending on what blade from what machine I want to sharpen.

lwcmattlifter
06-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Hey rodfather, How well does the mulching blade adapter work? I'm between the big Oregon grinder and a RBG. I didn't realize that Oregon made an adapter for their grinders.

rodfather
06-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Hey rodfather, How well does the mulching blade adapter work? I'm between the big Oregon grinder and a RBG. I didn't realize that Oregon made an adapter for their grinders.

Works fine...I gave my RBG (8" wheel) to Bobby Gedd since I didn't need it any longer.

wanabe
06-25-2006, 06:54 PM
"You're going to need an impact (air) gun to take those brush hog blades off safely the first time...that or a long breaker bar, a heavy duty 6-point socket, and a couple of 6x6 inch blocks of wood (18" in length) or so. I am assuming you have 2 blades under your deck. If you have access to an impact gun, you won't need to chock the other blade as you take one off. If not you will.

Last point. Remember to use something other than the hydraulics to keep the deck up in the air. If that deck comes down on you, you'll be taking the big dirt nap for sure. Good luck too btw."

Did Woods change there design? The one I have has big pins that hold the blade on, not bolts. They use a pin with a clip on top, and the clip is held in by a small bolt.