PDA

View Full Version : Back/Neck Problems due to ZTR use?

bigjeeping
06-24-2006, 08:48 PM
I have some great looking lawns which cut smooth and leave beautiful stripes. But hiding underneath the premium turf is a nightmare of bumps that you don't know exsist until you're riding over them with your mower. I get thrown all over the place! I have started to feel some extra stress in my neck and back from the bouncing turbulence.

This week I'm going to get a suspension seat for my lazer, but I'm not sure how well it's going to solve my problem.

Anyone else have lawns which are so bumpy you have to mow them extra slow?

Any solutions?

Splicer
06-24-2006, 09:04 PM
I have some great looking lawns which cut smooth and leave beautiful stripes. But hiding underneath the premium turf is a nightmare of bumps that you don't know exsist until you're riding over them with your mower. I get thrown all over the place! I have started to feel some extra stress in my neck and back from the bouncing turbulence.

This week I'm going to get a suspension seat for my lazer, but I'm not sure how well it's going to solve my problem.

Any solutions?
:dizzy: I feel your pain brother...I have one lawn that I just despise cutting because one half of it is so friggin bumpy you have to creep over it...That is what makes this otherwise OK lawn to friggin time consuming...my ass kills me by the time I get finished;) ...

WildLake
06-24-2006, 09:07 PM
I have some rough ones. My suspension seat is of no use on them. It is actually worse because it will bottom out, really jamming you up. You have to adjust the seat extra firm and then all the little bumps aren't absorbed. Just have to take it slow.

JJLandscapes
06-24-2006, 09:09 PM
honestly im not trying to make fun of anyone but this business demands physical strength and anyone who works on the job and doesnt just sit in an office should be working out and be in prime shape it helps u in many ways

WildLake
06-24-2006, 09:12 PM
honestly im not trying to make fun of anyone but this business demands physical strength and anyone who works on the job and doesnt just sit in an office should be working out and be in prime shape it helps u in many ways

What does that have to do with bumpy lawns?

bigjeeping
06-24-2006, 11:04 PM

I'm not sure what this has to do with bumpy lawns either but I am in "prime" shape! If your spinal chord is getting repeatedly compressed over bumpy lawns it could lead to some serious complications down the road... that has nothing to do with how much you can bench :weightlifter:

CutInEdge Lawn Care
06-24-2006, 11:09 PM

Any solutions?

A cheap solution for us was john deere springs from dealer for 4.99 + tax. They bolted into the spot where rubber bumpers were. This fix helped by about 60%. At the end of the day it wasnt my back it was my kidneys feeling as if they had been ripped and bounced around on concrete. BTW: springs are on an 05 Scag Z-Cat. Good Luck!!!

drmiller100
06-24-2006, 11:16 PM
air pressure is HUGE in rear tires. drop the pressure, ride better, but cut not as consistent. but, on the bumpy lawns, who cares about consistent cut???

Audrey
06-24-2006, 11:35 PM
A cheap solution for us was john deere springs from dealer for 4.99 + tax. They bolted into the spot where rubber bumpers were. This fix helped by about 60%. At the end of the day it wasnt my back it was my kidneys feeling as if they had been ripped and bounced around on concrete. BTW: springs are on an 05 Scag Z-Cat. Good Luck!!!

That's great! :clapping: I'm all over that one! 2001 Tiger rocks like heck on bumpy stuff. Some places after an hour I wanted OFF that machine. I also don't like having to take a leak every half hour either. :laugh:

The new Tiger with the suspension seat is a world of difference. I set it heavier than what I am, but not maxed, and it works great. On some parts I still need to slow down though. Not for the bumps, but because of missing grass.

I'd be really happy if they could control the vibration!

I don't know if anyone else is into the civil war or not...
When autopsies were done on mounted Cavalry soldiers who were in the saddle for years they found that most of them had compacted spines. Some of the vertebre were actually starting to fuse together. All those thousands of miles in the saddle packed everything.

A

olderthandirt
06-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Lot of rain and 1 big azz 2000# roller pulled by the trac really flattens those lawns out. Charge to flatten and then charge to aerate. You make money to save your back

jimmbo407
06-25-2006, 12:33 AM
I wear a kidney belt. I use the same one I use for snowmobiling. You can also use a wieght lifting belt. There are alot of them out there. Look at the saftey section of you local home center or farm and fleet store. I have had some back injuries and this help out so much. The motor cross or snow cross belts are the best.

bigjeeping
06-25-2006, 12:36 AM
I wear a kidney belt. I use the same one I use for snowmobiling. You can also use a wieght lifting belt. There are alot of them out there. Look at the saftey section of you local home center or farm and fleet store. I have had some back injuries and this help out so much. The motor cross or snow cross belts are the best.

That's an idea.. a weightlifting belt? It would add a lot of support but I'm not sure if it would actually take any stress off all the bouncing around

jimmbo407
06-25-2006, 12:55 AM
Motor cross or snow cross belts are by design for taking stress off you back while bouncing around. If I don't use one on the snowmobile I get off walking like a question mark. I use one while mowing also and they work. If you don't want to spend the money on one you could try the lifing belt. You can get the motor/snow cross belts at denniskirk.com or smart recreation products. They work.

Splicer
06-25-2006, 01:01 AM
Lot of rain and 1 big azz 2000# roller pulled by the trac really flattens those lawns out. Charge to flatten and then charge to aerate. You make money to save your back
Been seriously considering along those lines (getting paid to save my ass...literally...:laugh: )

I need to figure how to make my 400# poly roller heavier than using water...

olderthandirt
06-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Been seriously considering along those lines (getting paid to save my ass...literally...:laugh: )

I need to figure how to make my 400# poly roller heavier than using water...

Either make one or buy a bigger one. A 5' will weigh over a 1K and I think TSC has them.
And you can use a quad to tow it making the quad a tax depreciation :drinkup:

6'7 330
06-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Occasionally I get a backache, when I pick a Z-Turn up.

DLCS
06-25-2006, 01:40 AM
Either make one or buy a bigger one. A 5' will weigh over a 1K and I think TSC has them.
And you can use a quad to tow it making the quad a tax depreciation :drinkup:

I saw a cool one yesterday. A local turf farm has a double roller. It has 2 rollers about 6' in diameter pulled right behind each other. Just a little bit too big for our use but still kinda cool.

drmiller100
06-25-2006, 01:50 AM

the z-turn doesn't hurt my back, but when i pick the trailer up, forgetting the 737 is still on it, boy, that can cause a twinge!!!!!

doug

Grasman
06-25-2006, 02:48 AM
I have the suspension seats on my Exmark's. It makes the ride better for the operator but the ground is still rough and the machine still bounces. I find that we can go faster but the deck bounces on the hanging chains, which I don't think is good for the machine and it leaves an uneven cut. I have to keep telling the help to slow down on the rough lawns.

Tharrell
06-25-2006, 06:21 AM
Ferris, Simplicity and Snapper (all same company) make 4 wheel suspension Z's. They may be on to something there.
I've had a whiplash in my neck from racing motocross when I was younger and I have the exact same problems the first poster stated. I was using a non suspension Yazoo earlier this season.

puppypaws
06-25-2006, 07:52 AM

Any solutions?The best suspension seat you can buy will help a lot but if Hustler gets started making the flex forks for mowers other than Hustler that is the most help I know of on smoothing the ride out. I have a disc problem in the lower part of my back and since I have been running the flex forks all year I have not been bothered and this is very unusual.

tacoma200
06-25-2006, 10:00 AM
The best suspension seat you can buy will help a lot but if Hustler gets started making the flex forks for mowers other than Hustler that is the most help I know of on smoothing the ride out. I have a disc problem in the lower part of my back and since I have been running the flex forks all year I have not been bothered and this is very unusual.

I would say a Hustler with the suspension seat and flex forks would do you wonders. I think that the Ferris mowers with the independent suspension would be the best ride of all.

Idealtim
06-25-2006, 11:28 AM
I think the old elastomeric seats from exmark suck. Not the new ones, but thee old ones. They get hot and stick to your back in the summer. The ones I've used were used and are actually worse for your back.

ProStreetCamaro
06-25-2006, 11:36 AM

You arent kidding about that one. I got our lazer stuck in mud 3 years ago and I had n choice but to step in it and lift the back up and spin it around to a dry spot so I could get out. While doing so I pinched the sciatic (spelling?) nerve and it took 6 months to get better.

rob7233
06-25-2006, 11:41 AM
I would say a Hustler with the suspension seat and flex forks would do you wonders. I think that the Ferris mowers with the independent suspension would be the best ride of all.

Can anyone that uses Ferris comment on the IS suspension? On those machine are the decks hung by chains and do they still bounce? On those choppy azz yards can they still give an even cut?

Do those with Hustler machines with the full suspension seat and Flex forks still experience uneven cut although it's much smoother for the operator?

puppypaws
06-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Can anyone that uses Ferris comment on the IS suspension? On those machine are the decks hung by chains and do they still bounce? On those choppy azz yards can they still give an even cut?

Do those with Hustler machines with the full suspension seat and Flex forks still experience uneven cut although it's much smoother for the operator?I don't know anything about the uneven cut I had the first flex forks in the area and probably some of the first in the country and the flex forks have done a wonderful job with a more even cut for me and the ride is by far better than the other Hustler's I have owned, my dealer told me last week he had probably sold around 400 units with no negative feed back.