PDA

View Full Version : Best String Trimmer for Steep Hill?

Fooltergeist
06-25-2006, 07:25 AM
I have a fairly steep hill that I have to trim regularly, so much so that trying to keep my footing is a challenge in itself. Recently, I bought a cheap trimmer called the WeedEater Featherlite, not because I wanted to save money but because I wanted to have a trimmer light enough so I can use it while at the same time keep from sliding down or falling off this steep hill.

Unfortunately, the Weedeater clutch broke after only a few uses - really crappy quality. Now I'm in the market for a replacement trimmer.

Can anyone recommend the lightest possible gas trimmer that is suitable for my situation but of fairly good quality? I don't need commercial duty specs since I only trim like 6 times a year.

Also, how do I keep my footing on this steep hill while weedwhacking, short of tying my waist with a rope to a nearby tree, which I don't have?

garth1967
06-25-2006, 07:35 AM
firstly i dont know how steep the hill is ,but wear football boots or clets whatever you guys call them.secondly you might have to do this hill more regularly.i would say thats what has ruined your trimmer. thirdly a stihl or shindawa may suit in regards of weight and price .i feel whether you are a home owner or pro ,buy for life dont by cheap crap

lawnmaniac883
06-25-2006, 11:37 AM
How much money are you willing to spend?

Larry Davis
06-25-2006, 11:44 AM
There is really no good answer for your question. Whether a pro or homeowner, this is one of the toughest situations anyone can face in lawn/landscape maintenance. Any trimmer that is super light is probably going to be a piece of junk and any trimmer that will give you a few years of trouble free service is going to be commercial grade with a larger price tag and some weight to it. It's a "catch 22" thing.

Alternatives to consider .............
How large of an area is this? How important is it to the beauty of your landscape? Is this mostly grass or is it mostly weeds? If the grass or weeds were gone, would soil erosion be a problem. I'm just trying to come up with ways to do away with weedeating. If erosion would not be a problem, could you plant a few trees? Trees would create shade and most grasses and weeds won't grow in shade. I would suggest applying Round-Up to get rid of everything that is growing there now and then planting a fast growing ground cover, but eventually the weeds would start coming up all over again.

If none of this is an option, then maybe just have a young, healthy neighborhood kid do it to make a few bucks.

ed2hess
06-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Also, how do I keep my footing on this steep hill while weedwhacking, short of tying my waist with a rope to a nearby tree, which I don't have?
Put a rope around your waist and have another person on the top keep control of you. Get the Echo 2100 it will do the job...$200 or pay some lawn guy to do it.

MowerMedic77
06-25-2006, 05:16 PM
For well maintained steep banks the only thing I have ever seen work and work well if a Flymo Hover mower they are light have both electric and gas versions and no wheels they kind of float or hover as the name implies. Do a search for them and look under product then narrow it down to the hover line.
Hope this helps:)

offshorebear
06-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Redmax 2300 is a really light but very powerful trimmer. Its a little pricy though.

golfguy
06-26-2006, 10:38 PM
I am a seconder on the flymo.

My staff use three on a weekly basis for trimming around steep faced bunkers. They cut clean and are relatively maintenance free. They will run you about a grand give or take.

If you can not stand at the top of the slope where it is flat and reach the bottom edge of the slope, simply affix a rope to the handle and let the mower go gently down the slope until it reaches the bottom. using a hand over hand motion pull back up. This will take the slippery slope completly out of the equation for mowing.

topsites
06-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Alternatives to consider .............
How large of an area is this? How important is it to the beauty of your landscape? Is this mostly grass or is it mostly weeds? If the grass or weeds were gone, would soil erosion be a problem. I'm just trying to come up with ways to do away with weedeating. If erosion would not be a problem, could you plant a few trees? Trees would create shade and most grasses and weeds won't grow in shade. I would suggest applying Round-Up to get rid of everything that is growing there now and then planting a fast growing ground cover, but eventually the weeds would start coming up all over again.

If none of this is an option, then maybe just have a young, healthy neighborhood kid do it to make a few bucks.

You might, in addition, consider planting the following tough stuff to prevent erosion while maintaining beauty:
In FULL sun / mostly sunny areas, a ground Juniper.
In shade, Ivy.

And you're done, worst I can think of is weeds coming through... With Ivy, you can spray it with a light concentration of Round-up because it won't phaze the Ivy but the Juniper is another story, other than that maintenance is real easy.

On Juniper weeds omg... First, remember what variety of Juniper you plant, there are about 200 different types of Juniper (amazing isn't it), remembering what kind it is will help later on. Then, identify the weed and now you go to a Landscape supply type of place, they do make special chems that will kill weeds and not the Juniper, thou the cost ranges from 100-200 dollars / quart and up, keeping in mind the chemical dilutes with water at a rate of fractions / ounce / gallon, so a quart would last more than a few years, likely you can get something along the lines of Lontrel (sp?).

Ivy would be easier, but it doesn't like full sun areas...