PDA

View Full Version : My trimmer head spun and flew off?

BryPaulD
06-25-2006, 10:55 AM
What causes that? It's a Stihl.

topsites
06-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Wear and tear is the only thing I can think of, you mean the whole head or just the part with the tap-and-string stuff?
If it's the whole head, I'd see about warranty coverage if it's less than a year old.
You do, from time to time, squeeze in some of that Stihl grease into the gear section of the head, right?
There's a little bolt on the side of the head (I think it's on the top right), it is a brass-color bolt which comes off with the Stihl spark-plug tool (either end loosens it), and then you buy a special tube of grease and you can thread the tube into the hole where the bolt went, and once it's threaded in there, squeeze until you can't get any more in, then unthread the tube, cap it, and put the bolt back in place.

If you don't have Stihl grease, you can try synthetic lube but be aware that heat makes grease into a liquid so you really need the Stihl grease thou most any heavy-duty synthetic lube (such as disc-brake wheel bearing grease) should do it.

I've never had either come off completely thou one time the cover got so worn it wouldn't stay on ...

BryPaulD
06-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Maybe it just wasn't on tight enough. I started it yesterday and it came off, so I screwed it back on. I restarted and it flew off again. Today I used the pin thingy to lock it and Realy screwed it on tight. I'll go out and start it and see what happens.

BryPaulD
06-25-2006, 11:02 AM
just the tap and string stuff, and the metal disc and washer thing.

topsites
06-25-2006, 11:08 AM
just the tap and string stuff, and the metal disc and washer thing.

Ohhhh ok, goood!!! Well you may not think so, but if it's gotten a lot of wear and tear, you probably just need a new cap or cover (the big round flat plastic thing with the hole in center with the two plastic clips on opposite sides), that's what I would do is go get a new cover for it, few dollars. Matter of fact, while you're there you can buy two, stick the spare in your truck.

In the future, I found finding strategic places to tap the string considerably lenghtens the lifetime: Specifically, try not to tap it on rocks or pavement, always find wooden stuff (like trees or fence posts) to tap it on, this causes a lot less wear and tear. Just be careful when you tap it, trees don't like being weedeated lol.

BryPaulD
06-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Maybe the tightening thing was the problem. I used the pin/lock thing and really tightened it. Start it up and ran full blast with no fly off. :clapping:
I'll have to pay attention to tap objects. I usually just tap the ground, but I don't like the lil scalp

grass-scapes
06-25-2006, 02:04 PM
If you are referring to the entire head, how can it fly off? The threads would automatically tighten because it threads on the opposite direction the head travels while in use.

jsf343
06-25-2006, 05:09 PM
If you are referring to the entire head, how can it fly off? The threads would automatically tighten because it threads on the opposite direction the head travels while in use.

I was going to say the same thing, I think it is reverse threads.

grassmanvt
06-25-2006, 05:12 PM
My echos occaisionally did that when the string was wound in the wrong direction. Made it a point to wind them all in the proper direction and it has'nt hapened since, and its been a few years.